AV-8B Harrier Thread

Angelthunder

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We could do a Fauxlands MP mission!

Harriers vs M2ks and Viggens! DEFEND THE FLEET!

That would require a British NAVY Sea Harrier, like in the Falklands War.

The AV-8B is the US designation of the RAF Ground attack Harriers, of which actually a handful came pretty late to the party, as it was a British FLEET, not the RAF, that fought off the Argentinian Air Force... :)

The AV-8B does not have an air-to-air radar, required to find and track the aircrafts attacking the fleet.

Edited by shagrat
Corrected typos

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

I can bet the Harrier will be launched first!

"God doesn't give people talents that he doesn't want people to use. And he gave you The Touch. It's a power inside of you, down there where you keep your guts boy. It's all you need to blast your way in and get back what they took from you..." - Chappy Sinclair

"That would require a British NAVY Sea Harrier, like in the Falklands War.

The AV-8B is the US designation of the RAF Ground attack Harriers, of which actually a handful came pretty late to the party, as it was a British FLEET, not the RAF, that fought off the Argentinian Air Force....."

Here's a link explaining what Sgagrat is saying:

https://theaviationist.com/2012/05/22/sea-harrier-the-forgotten-hero-that-won-the-war-in-the-falklands-to-be-replaced-by-the-f-35b/

Edited by Robert31178

Paint scheme request!!! With pilot uniform and helmet if possible!!

maxresdefault.jpg

AV-8B_VMA-214_LHA-5_2005.JPEG

12050972886_9de3ac5224_b.jpg

Edit* It appears that I may have posted this in the wrong thread. Sorry moderators!! If it needs to be moved to the Harrier thread please do so!! ~Rob

Edited by Robert31178
Apologies!!

AV-8B along with the F/A-18C will be a very nice combination.. can't wait.

and the F14 :thumbup:

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

Pendant mode: AV8A better describes the British ground attack GR.1 (GR.3 by 1982). AV8B later. RAF pilots last air to air kills were during the Falklands war while on exchange with the Fleet Air Arm. Pendant mode off. ;)

Pedant mode on:

This is a pendant. https://www.google.it/search?q=Pendant&safe=off&client=firefox-b&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjfoqTkupnTAhWJ0RoKHWikCX4Q_AUICCgB&biw=1600&bih=736

I'm pedant, as I point out that you wrote pendant.

Pedant mode off.

Pendant mode: AV8A better describes the British ground attack GR.1 (GR.3 by 1982). AV8B later. RAF pilots last air to air kills were during the Falklands war while on exchange with the Fleet Air Arm. Pendant mode off. ;)

The couple RAF Harriers that arrived on the HMS Hermes later in the Falklands war, did not shoot down any aircraft.

They flew close air support and bombing missions.

There were a couple RAF pilots, that flew SHARs from HMS Invincible and HMS Hermes, though.

The last time the RAF downed an aircraft was to my knowledge XX963 a 14 Sqn Jaguar whose pilot, luckily survived... :music_whistling:

Sad story, that they mothballed the SHAR in its prime. The Sea Harrier FA 2 was a fantastic fighter aircraft it seems... Upgraded with AIM-120 and a modern radar with look down capabilities.

Edited by shagrat

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Pendant pedant...damn you extra n! :)

Where did I say RAF Harriers shot anything down?

As for the Jag...agreed - very, very lucky.

Sorry, made that sound wrong.

I referred to the RAF Harriers that joined the HMS Hermes later.

The "exchange" pilots from the RAF that joined 801 and 800 Sqd. like you said flew SHARs and fought off the Argentinian Air Force.

The SHAR was an extraordinary fighter aircraft. The more I read about the Harrier and the SHAR in particular, the more I like the little plane. :)

Shagrat

The couple RAF Harriers that arrived on the HMS Hermes later in the Falklands war, did not shoot down any aircraft.

They flew close air support and bombing missions.

There were a couple RAF pilots, that flew SHARs from HMS Invincible and HMS Hermes, though.

The last time the RAF downed an aircraft was to my knowledge XX963 a 14 Sqn Jaguar whose pilot, luckily survived... :music_whistling:

Sad story, that they mothballed the SHAR in its prime. The Sea Harrier FA 2 was a fantastic fighter aircraft it seems... Upgraded with AIM-120 and a modern radar with look down capabilities.

yes and an A10C with a modern search radar and aim120 would also give it more notable a2a capabilities and more defensive teeth against intercepting aircraft. :smilewink:

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

yes and an A10C with a modern search radar and aim120 would also give it more notable a2a capabilities and more defensive teeth against intercepting aircraft. :smilewink:

Yeah, but it still wouldn't have had a chance in dogfight training against the F-5Es from the USAF aggressors, and the F-15, in the first place.

Actually the original SHAR scored an impressive "Kill" ratio in training against both.

The F-15 had only AIM-7 Sparrows at that time (1980ies), though.

Now if you upgrade a highly maneuverable subsonic fighter jet that can easily hold its own against a highly maneuverable F-5E, beat F-15s, to BVR capabilities, that sounds a good idea to me...

And before someone goes ballistic about it, this is from "Mr. Sea Harriers" book, who did participate in the training...

Read from page 49 last paragraph

https://books.google.de/books?id=Dt7RAwAAQBAJ&pg=PA51&lpg=PA51&dq=sea+harrier+against+f-5&source=bl&ots=E8yWW_XS9T&sig=-m98ssynypDwYeDuYxBI6tPlHHM&hl=de&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiroPv19JvTAhWHzRQKHYJ9Dq0Q6AEITzAM#v=onepage&q=sea%20harrier%20against%20f-5&f=false

:smilewink:

...on the other hand if you would slap 4 more fuel tanks to an F-15 to make it a good CAS plane with loiter time, it wouldn't make it comparable to an A-10?! :smartass:

EDIT: the major point is, the Ground attack Harrier is a CAS plane. The SEA HARRIER (SHAR) is a fighter/multirole like the F-18 by design...

Seems you mixed them up?

Edited by shagrat

Shagrat

Paint scheme request!!! With pilot uniform and helmet if possible!!

maxresdefault.jpg

AV-8B_VMA-214_LHA-5_2005.JPEG

12050972886_9de3ac5224_b.jpg

Edit* It appears that I may have posted this in the wrong thread. Sorry moderators!! If it needs to be moved to the Harrier thread please do so!! ~Rob

Nice pics. I'll talk to the texturizer.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

when do you plan to make it texturized?

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5