AV-8B Harrier Thread

Angelthunder

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This and the Hornet are the only two things perhaps along with the Strait of Hormuz map that keep me going with DCS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Intel i7-8700K | Asus Maximus X Formula | Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Gainward Phoenix GTX1070 GLH | Samsung 960 EVO NVMe 1 x 250GB OS & 1 x 500GB Games | Corsair RM750x 750W | Corsair Carbide Air 540| Win10 | Dell 27" 1440p 60Hz | Custom water loop: CPU EK-Supremacy EVO, GPU EK-GTX JetStream - Acetal+Nickel & Backplate, Radiator EK-Coolstream PE 360, Pump & Res EK-XRES 140 Revo D5, Fans 3 x EK-Vardar 120mm & 2 x Corsair ML140 140mm

I love the progress reports , but those cockpit textures...

IAF.Tomer

My Rig:

Core i7 6700K + Corsair Hydro H100i GTX

Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7,G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3000Mhz

Gigabyte GTX 980 OC

Samsung 840EVO 250GB + 3xCrucial 275GB in RAID 0 (1500 MB/s)

Asus MG279Q | TM Warthog + Saitek Combat Pedals + TrackIR 5

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

All engine limitations that can be simulated will be simulated.

Actually let me rephrase that: All aircraft limitations that can be simulated will be simulated.

Sounds great- that said, I've seen additional documentary and air show video footage where the Marine AV8B's were in a hover for several minutes. So there is likely only a certain type of scenario where the water injection comes into play - such as when the engine is at full throttle for a fully loaded and fueled aircraft and in a hovering state. When observing air show footage the Harrier has no weapons loaded and is thus much lighter, requiring less thrust. You can then observe and hear when the pilot uses full throttle and the jet literally jumps upward from the more stationary hover.

So looking forward to flying this module.

The AV-8B N/A does have data link and in an emergency it can do air intercept with AWACS support.

It also has IFF capability thanks to a built-in beacon antenna that can interrogate other aircraft similarly equipped or with compatible systems.

But these features do not make the AV-8B N/A a fighter, just a very capable aircraft.

So does this mean that air threats can be displayed via data-link on the MFCD?

So does this mean that air threats can be displayed via data-link on the MFCD?

IIRC there's no RWR, but you display the threats on an MPCD screen which has the appearance of a normal RWR.

I'd also heard rumours that the GR7/9 harriers could display threats on the TAD/moving map as well, but I don't have any other reliable info on that

The water injection is mostly just a means of increasing max power. In other words, it cools the hot section so it can be run at a higher power setting without damage. (as well as increasing mass flow to some degree) In an emergency the pilot can override this and run at max power without water at the cost of damaging the engine. Keep in mind that this increase is less than 10% fan RPM IIRC.

I'd go out on a limb and say that a clean Harrier with half internal fuel in good atmospheric conditions could hover until the fuel runs out.

DCS modules are built up to a spec, not down to a schedule.

In order to utilize a system to your advantage, you must know how it works.

The water injection is mostly just a means of increasing max power. In other words, it cools the hot section so it can be run at a higher power setting without damage. (as well as increasing mass flow to some degree) In an emergency the pilot can override this and run at max power without water at the cost of damaging the engine. Keep in mind that this increase is less than 10% fan RPM IIRC.

I'd go out on a limb and say that a clean Harrier with half internal fuel in good atmospheric conditions could hover until the fuel runs out.

The water injection is used to over-rev the engine, and thus it has a limited time of use. With water injection on the engine can be over-revved up to 113% RPM while keeping temperatures within a hair's width from the redline.

So, it is not only used for VTOLs but also when taking off with a heavily loaded aircraft using the "Jump" technique.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

This is gonna be fun.

Everything I've read suggests this plane is gonna be pretty damn capable in so many ways. I imagine it might be the way to go in multi player servers with changing dynamics. Looks like it can do pretty much anything, and most of that quite well. If and when the II+ comes out, it'll be an absolute terror no matter what it's facing.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Zilch79's YouTube Channel:

The water injection is used to over-rev the engine, and thus it has a limited time of use. With water injection on the engine can be over-revved up to 113% RPM while keeping temperatures within a hair's width from the redline.

So, it is not only used for VTOLs but also when taking off with a heavily loaded aircraft using the "Jump" technique.

Thanks for the further clarification Zeus. I've just been thinking of the DCS ramifications with respect to the AV8B and FARPs. Clearly, an AV8B with it's weapons discharged (pylons empty) and less than 50% fuel should have no problem landing at a FARP, without having to use the water injection. I was more curious of the VTOL capability at a FARP fully loaded with fuel and weapons on all pylons, attempting to lift off vertically. Sounds like it's doable with the over-revved engine/water injection, but I'm sure it depends on the types of loadout's/overall weight.

Should be fun to experiment when the time comes :). Should make FARPs much more important tactically in the future!

Once the place able airfield feature is fully implemented in DCS, it should be possible to place proper Harrier FOBs with short metal matting runways in missions.

A good article about San Carlos Harrier FOB during the Falklands War, btw. This plane will open so many possibilities in DCS.

http://www.thinkdefence.co.uk/san-carlos-fob/

Edited by Cunctator

Is that weapon selector page displayed on the pilot helmet? Or is that just because it's being worked on? As a former Marine, the harrier will be a day one pre purchase for me.

It's a debugging tool. AFAIK US Harriers never had an HMD.

Is that weapon selector page displayed on the pilot helmet? Or is that just because it's being worked on? As a former Marine, the harrier will be a day one pre purchase for me.

It is being used for development but it is part of the MPCD export capabilities.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

Thanks for the further clarification Zeus. I've just been thinking of the DCS ramifications with respect to the AV8B and FARPs. Clearly, an AV8B with it's weapons discharged (pylons empty) and less than 50% fuel should have no problem landing at a FARP, without having to use the water injection. I was more curious of the VTOL capability at a FARP fully loaded with fuel and weapons on all pylons, attempting to lift off vertically. Sounds like it's doable with the over-revved engine/water injection, but I'm sure it depends on the types of loadout's/overall weight.

Should be fun to experiment when the time comes :). Should make FARPs much more important tactically in the future!

Speaking from memory max aircraft weight for a Vertical Take Off is about 21,000 lbs, with an empty weight around 14,000 lbs that leaves you with just 7,000 lbs for pilot, fuel and ordnance. So you cannot load a lot. This is the reason why it is called a "jump" jet. On take-off you roll with nozzles at 5% and upon reaching V1 speed you put the nozzles at 45% and the aircraft "jumps" into the air. Again I'm speaking from memory, actual nozzle rotation angle values will vary.