AV-8B Harrier Thread

Angelthunder

Hi,

Bring up ehsd on screen. O; the left , there is an osd button MAPM, press it, then you need to press MAP button which appeared on the right side of screen

See :

Enjoy the map

Thank you very much. Watching the video seems rather simple...probably yesterday I played at night and I was tired....I ll try as soon as possible like you suggested me. Thank you again Bye

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is not new it depends on wind/weather. If you have no wind in the mission there are no waves.

Already been answered.

Where you circling over high ground? E.g. mountains? Then you need to take into account your actual height over ground.

For example, you fly at 18500 ft barometric (above sea level). The terrain below you is at 6400 ft. Your actual height over the SA-13 on the ground is 12300ft... So you need to be careful.

Hope that helps.

P.S. if you calculated height correctly and they still hit you it may be a bug, then post here again.

. Thank you very much for the quick answer... for what I remember I was in Nevada map and the terrein under my plane was flat. I usually always select radar altimeter and not the barometric one...in order to avoid what actually happened... but maybe....I did a mistake and I forgot to activate the radar altimeter...I played during the night as soon as the download was complete ...today I ll try again...and I ll tell you... I hope it's not a bug. I prefer to do a mistake...bye

That is not new it depends on wind/weather. If you have no wind in the mission there are no waves.

Already been answered.

Where you circling over high ground? E.g. mountains? Then you need to take into account your actual height over ground.

For example, you fly at 18500 ft barometric (above sea level). The terrain below you is at 6400 ft. Your actual height over the SA-13 on the ground is 12300ft... So you need to be careful.

Hope that helps.

P.S. if you calculated height correctly and they still hit you it may be a bug, then post here again.

Hello . I tried again and I think that it has been my mistake. A conseguence of what you told, the baro altitude, I was some 1600 feet less (the sa 13 was at 1650 ft ...flat terrain but still hight) of what I assumed to be and. more, I was relaxed because I was thinking that I was with radar altitute but actually after 5000 ft it's baro altitude... I tried again watching carefully and the sa 13 launches the strela missile when I am at 4500 mt and more... near to 5000 mt... so...that's was the reason.... no bug. Thank you and sorry. Bye

Hello to all. I am sorry if I bore you continuing to write and ask some help but I 've noticed that after the last upgrade in DCS World 2.5.1. openbeta is desappeared the sound of the gun in the AV8B. Someone of you noticed this or it's only a problem of my pc? Because I tried both with a new file mission and with an old one, but the GAU 12 is without noise. On the countrary, using the A10C in the same missions it works and sounds good.... so, it seems that is a problem of the Harrier.

Another thing, in the same missions,after the update, the Jtac don't work fine because after "ready to copy remarks"and the aswer about the ordnance to use from the jtac, when I type ready to get 9 line, it's without sound...I mean I type but I don't speak in the radio....But if I tell "check out"...it works... so...no jtac at the end.... uff...

Bye

Hello to all. I am sorry if I bore you continuing to write and ask some help but I 've noticed that after the last upgrade in DCS World 2.5.1. openbeta is desappeared the sound of the gun in the AV8B. Someone of you noticed this or it's only a problem of my pc? Because I tried both with a new file mission and with an old one, but the GAU 12 is without noise. On the countrary, using the A10C in the same missions it works and sounds good.... so, it seems that is a problem of the Harrier.

Another thing, in the same missions,after the update, the Jtac don't work fine because after "ready to copy remarks"and the aswer about the ordnance to use from the jtac, when I type ready to get 9 line, it's without sound...I mean I type but I don't speak in the radio....But if I tell "check out"...it works... so...no jtac at the end.... uff...

Bye

JTAC is known problem. Can't check on the sound, though.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Gun sound is a known problem, too.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=207071

:thumbsup:

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

• 3 weeks later...

Hello to all. I am here again. Do you know if the sidearm has some problem after the last update? Because I am not able to have a good lock. And, more, clicking on the trigger for AIM 9/sidearm /gun the missile doesn't shoot.. I have a lock only with the first one and the first time that I activate it. After it doesn't lock. I know that in the past there was a bug that after the first shot you had to deactivate and then reactivate again the AGM 122 in order to achieve another lock. But now it seems that this system doesn't work. Any suggestion? Thanks to all.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
I am interested, but the APWKS does not exist in DCS so that means we will have to create one for it. In order to do that we would need to know how it works: Guidance method, rocket burnout time, warhead explosive power, etc.

From what I've seen it is a laser guided Hydra rocket and it seems to fit inside a LAU-68 or LAU-61.

Is this changed/updated about the APKWS?

IMHO these laser guided rockets should be implemented by the ED so that all modules can use it that are capable to carry required standard rocket pods.

The BAE own video explains well almost everything in the rocket.

Like there is information like:

https://www.baesystems.com/en/product/apkws-laser-guided-rocket

ED/Studios could even contact the BAE for the information that is needed if it could be acquired by other licensing.

Look at the right side PDF's.

- All standard rocket motor, warhead and fuze are used. Meaning you know all the parameters that the standard rockets and their combinations has.

- The APKWS guidance module itself is known by its weight, length and this can be used to calculate extra drop/drag for the standard rockets.

- The BAE informs that the laser guidance section has 40 degree FOV, minimal range is 1.5 km and maximum is what now the rocket itself can actually offer itself. The seeker has maximum detection range over 14km, so well past the rocket motor propulsion.

- The BAE video as well their public documentation gives the wings sizes, their flaperons sizes, speed and other correction.

- The known thing is as well their CEP, that is about 1.8 meters around the laser spot.

- The guidance section method is as well known, presented by BAE that how the four own cameras in the wings are used to calculate the proportional navigation. They even give the time required for guidance if not moving one.

- There are two different variations, for both fixed and rotary wings.

The BAE even clearly informs that everything that is capable to launch standard FFAR, is capable to launch APKWS rockets, compatibility is given even to UH-1B helicopter since 60's.

IMHO the DCS should have few separate "parts" that are in simulation.

1) Maps

2) Assets packs for ground units (like the WW2 one)

3) Modules itself (aircrafts, ships, ground vehicles like SAM's etc)

4) Weapons.

5) Campaigns.

Some can be free, some can be behind price.

This would as well open new studios possible to deliver something other content to DCS than just aircrafts. Like a studio could start offering a specific country ground units assets packages. That would example include 2-3 different MBT, 2 different IFV, 5 different trucks, 2 different APC, 5 different Anti-Air, 4-5 different infantry soldiers, various ground buildings from bunkers to checkpoints etc.

Same thing is that ED would be offering new weapons that are there, it is then up to mission designers to decide that what is their mission era and do they allow specific weapons to be used.

Each weapon should have their invention/service year stamped to it, so mission designer could example easily just click "No weapons before = XXXX" and then just select the year like 2012 or 2001, and mission editor would automatically hide all the weapons, modules, ground units etc that are newer than the wanted year.

As much some would dream only to have a specific standard of aircrafts, no one should deny that DCS is not a strict simulator for one specific airframe, but it is a sandbox that allows people to simulate any scenario they want from any era etc. Want to think that Russia has M1 Abrams rolling in their frontline? Go ahead... Want to see a France using S-200 SAM site? Go ahead!

Want to have a campaign where you fly a Vietnam era aircraft against modern enemy? No one is stopping...

We can't be fixated to idea that the aircrafts we get are locked to that one specific date when they have been taken in service, but instead they should be seen to be in service and operationally in use until they are 1) taken out of service 2) scrapped or upgraded to something else.

So example a AV-8B N/A has service time for years, before the AV-8B+ got developed, and even then both fly together simultaneously. So if there is new weapons added to system in its service time, or compatible to be used with it, they should be added.

If someone wants to be so strict that they don't want to fly with any date than when aircraft went to service, it is their choice and free to do so. But not to deny others to widen the reality.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Anyone know of a AV8 skin similar to this camo?

Thx

There is this: RAF Harrier GR3 skins - No 1 and 4 Squadrons

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3303915/

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |