AV-8B Harrier Thread

Angelthunder

Hope they simulate the coolant tank supply which allows you to hover without the pegasus borking up :)

I though it just used water, is it actual coolant?

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably water, water is technically coolant in this case though! I was unaware of whether it was water or another fluid so just went with the general term there.

• Like 1

Modules: too many

System: I7-7700K, GTX 2080 Super, 64GB DDR4, 500GB SSD, 3TB HDD.

It's demineralized water.

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

ok thanks

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Deionised water, I thought?

Not too sure on the differences between demineralised and deionised water in this case (one has no minerals in it, one has no ions in it?... :smartass: But that means nothing to me!!)

The whole use of coolant within a VTOL system is an interesting one, however.

The Harrier had a 500L water tank, and that was what limited the hovering time.

When operating with water injection the Pegasus is considered to be using "wet thrust" and gave about +1000lb thrust, along with turning the engine exhaust black and smokey like the MiG 29 in game ;P

This is just what I've gleamed from wikipedia, etc. please correct me if i'm wrong)

Also, I wonder what (if any) the limiting factor for hovering in the F 35B is?

A1-AV8BB-NFM-000 dated 15 Mar 2008

Page 2-14

2.3.7.7 Water Tank

The water tank is located in the engine bay, just aft of the engine. It contains approximately 500pounds of distilled or demineralized water with flow duration of approximately 90 seconds. The tank is replenished by gravity filling via a filler cap on the top surface of the fuselage. A water quantity probe extends down into the tank. This signals a quantity gauge transmitter, operates an H2O (approximately 15 seconds of water remaining) caution light on the priority caution light panel and also ensures, by deenergizing a low level switch, that the system cannot produce delivery pressure if initially there is less than approximately 25 pounds of water in the tank. The H2O caution light also illuminates and the water pump shuts down during normal operation if the water pressure drops below acceptable limits or the quantity is less than approximately 25 pounds. Repeated use of water other than distilled or demineralized will cause engine performance to deteriorate.

Edited by Vampyre

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

• 2 weeks later...

I'm watching videos in youtube regarding the RAZBAM Harrier and my hype increases! Nice airplane to fly in DCS for sure!

Somebody knows if this is the next project to be released byRAZBAM or the A7 has more prio?

I have the M2000C and i really enjoy the RAZBAM way of working & quality level

Thank you!

Typhoon

Escuadrón 69

I'm watching videos in youtube regarding the RAZBAM Harrier and my hype increases! Nice airplane to fly in DCS for sure!

Somebody knows if this is the next project to be released byRAZBAM or the A7 has more prio?

I have the M2000C and i really enjoy the RAZBAM way of working & quality level

Thank you!

Typhoon

Escuadrón 69

It's not their next project, because afaik that is the AT-27 Tucano. But I think the Harrier will come after that.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Yeah.Harrier...come to daddy!:D

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

Not too sure on the differences between demineralised and deionised water in this case (one has no minerals in it, one has no ions in it?... :smartass: But that means nothing to me!!)

The whole use of coolant within a VTOL system is an interesting one, however.

The Harrier had a 500L water tank, and that was what limited the hovering time.

When operating with water injection the Pegasus is considered to be using "wet thrust" and gave about +1000lb thrust, along with turning the engine exhaust black and smokey like the MiG 29 in game ;P

This is just what I've gleamed from wikipedia, etc. please correct me if i'm wrong)

Also, I wonder what (if any) the limiting factor for hovering in the F 35B is?

Is there an option to carry two water tanks on the wings instead of fuel?

Cause im gonna be hovering all day

http://giphy.com/gifs/XjZrD0wU10FX2/html5

Edited by comie1
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On a similar subject, 4 of the pylons are wet plumbed, so you could at least have a load of fuel.

If all the tanks were 330 Gallon ones, you could take an extra 9000lbs of fuel with you ;P

Dammit man I'm a Harrier pilot not a pilot... :pilotfly: I want to hover not fly

This guy has the right idea

Im goint to beat his record.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

comie1;

Wouldn't the weight of external water tanks negate their benefit?

To whom it may concern,

Also, I'm pretty sure that she can hover without water if the gross weight is low enough.

Or you can go to full wet thrust without actually having any water by overriding the temperature limiter (done in emergencies)

DCS modules are built up to a spec, not down to a schedule.

In order to utilize a system to your advantage, you must know how it works.

Also, I'm pretty sure that she can hover without water if the gross weight is low enough.

Or you can go to full wet thrust without actually having any water by overriding the temperature limiter (done in emergencies)

They can only really hover dry with the Mk107 engine, gave them that extra bit of thrust and essentially took away the need for the water tank. It stayed for ballast obviously.