AV-8B Harrier Thread

Angelthunder

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't said they didn't train to do so.

But to this day, it's still disputed if that is a viable strategy to operate a very expensive and maintenance heavy jet aircraft.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Except, to my knowledge, they were never used from FARPs in any real conflict. Ships yes, but these are sometimes even further from the target.

Half of the stories in "Joint Force Harrier" and "A nightmare's prayer" are about A2A refuelling or getting hairy low on fuel, or both. Refuelling twice per sortie was nothing unusual.

Here's a post from earlier in this thread.

I was in the Marines at a FARP during Desert Storm at a place called Tanajib Airport which was mostly AH-1W Cobras and Harriers. We had to build a runway with these giant aluminum rectangles that locked together because apparently a Harrier cant land or take off on just an everyday runway, it will blow away the concrete, or at least thats what we were told.

And

's the video clip in which that base is being referred to ("forward basing concept", "40 miles from the enemy")as well as the bigger picture of it, the role/prowess of the Harrier, and the benefits it had to doing sorties from the carrier (which, as you say and is also mentioned, required long flights and several refueling runs).

Ok, found the site that nicely sums up the use of Harrier in Forward Bases over the years.

http://ukarmedforcescommentary.blogspot.com/2014/06/vertical-panic.html

While the aircraft was used from FARPs over the years, these are were not a typical FARPs that come to mind after playing DCS, with a few vertical pads for takeoff and landing in the middle of nowhere. Even the rudimentary one in the Falklands had a 250 meters runway for takeoffs.

We have to make one thing clear here: the famous airstrips in the woods that we see in photos of the Harrier force in Germany were training sites with a possible but unlikely war role. They were not the actual War Locations. Wartime operations would have happened exploiting stretches of secondary roads in countryside villages and towns, so to have paved surfaces from which to make short take offs and landings.

The use of locations carefully selected within villages offered the added benefit of buildings to exploit for the accommodation of supplies, personnel and communications. Supermarkets and other suitable large buildings would be exploited for parking the aircraft away from sight.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

From that article.

The Atlantic Conveyor also transported all the equipment to build an Harrier Forward Air Base ashore, which was to include vertical landing pads and a 400 meters runway, plus fuel infrastructure and command and control sufficient to base and operate a squadron of 12 aircraft.
So I guess the DCS equivalent would be a FARP placed next to a suitable road, but sadly the FARP block is elevated massively (to deal with the roughest of terrains I'm guessing) which makes that seemingly impossible to pull off unless there's a way to lower it.

But sure, landing pads only in the middle of nowhere wouldn't make sense, it's not as if landable surfaces are rare enough of a commodity to go to such extremes.

It would be nice if instead of the current farp we could refuel and rearm within a radius of say a refuel truck. This would mean mission designers could make much more concealed and realistic farps for both the harrier and helicopters.

I'm sure the Viggen guys were going to implement something like that, you could order them to meet you somewhere on the map? The ability to drop a NATO 'T' (although off topic) and have a nearby tanker for helicopters would also be good.

Although we talk of FARPS, the DCS maps have plenty of airfields, these would be FOBs (Forward Operating Base) and would be where most of the fleet would live and operate during any operation.

take off from farps w/ minimal fuel then top off airborne.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

although it can recover vertically after most of the fuel and weapons are expended.

Yeah, but realistically, not just about anywhere. It can damage the landing surface and FOD damage is a big threat apparently, so they always seems to have used specially prepared landing pads.

take off from farps w/ minimal fuel then top off airborne.

Doesn't that kill the whole purpose of having these things? If there's air tanker support, then there's a good chance there's a proper runway in the theater (or a carrier) and you could have normal airplanes on CAS standby using those same tankers and carrying a much more useful load and probably for less money, too.

And it's probably cheaper than investing into these damn things, maintaining them, keeping the pilots current, building special pads in the theater so they can even land, provide them air cover, etc. just so that the USMC can have its own air force. :)

Don't get me wrong, it will be cool to fly them in the DCS, but I'm not convinced they're a necessity for the US armed forces.

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

I will just leave this here :thumbup:

attachment.php?attachmentid=172679&stc=1&d=1511550301

why your heartless b*st*rd! Love it!! :thumbup:;):D

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Yeah, but realistically, not just about anywhere. It can damage the landing surface and FOD damage is a big threat apparently, so they always seems to have used specially prepared landing pads.[/Quote]

In real life landing surfaces are checked first by a team of qualified people to make sure that they are suitable for Harrier operations, the aircraft don't just turn up and land anywhere. Not like I do in DCS...:D

I´m not saying a Harrier´s FARP is a single Helipad 20x20 meters size.

I´m saying Harriers FARP deployment is or could be a Supermarket parking, a road section, a metallic construction by Reg. Engineers, anything about 300-400 long, with pads for landing or an even paved surface or parking is enough.

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

In real life landing surfaces are checked first by a team of qualified people to make sure that they are suitable for Harrier operations, the aircraft don't just turn up and land anywhere. Not like I do in DCS...:D

Case in point, somewhere in Switzerland some time in the nineties (or perhaps eighties?). That turned out well :p

Case in point, somewhere in Switzerland some time in the nineties (or perhaps eighties?). That turned out well :p

https://tacairnet.com/2016/08/10/watch-this-raf-harrier-destroy-part-of-a-runway-with-its-thrust/

Typical 3 Sqn...Any jet would have done this to be fair. In the UK this year a Vampire jet ripped up a runway taking off for a display.

Edited by Harry.R

Two years previous (1978 ), there wasn't the same issue (perhaps the Bex taxiway 'improvement' was a later addition).

As for FOD, just keep the aircraft's forward momentum so it keeps out of the dust cloud - a simpler time, I wouldn't want to do the risk assessment today lol.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Two years previous (1978 ), there wasn't the same issue (perhaps the Bex taxiway 'improvement' was a later addition).

As for FOD, just keep the aircraft's forward momentum so it keeps out of the dust cloud - a simpler time, I wouldn't want to do the risk assessment today lol.

FOD isn't just about a dust cloud, the amount of air that the intake is sucking in makes it a very expensive hoover, a loose stone can easily be sucked up into the engine, dust isn't an issue but stones, other organic and man made matter is a hazard.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Nozzle glow now has a daylight factor.

23800203_1528819907204642_5453547957933241133_o.jpg?oh=2239e07e8911d7469c0a5984d99536fd&oe=5A8B2755&__gda__=1520800139_3d41e7527c24bb103177a39efc0d110a

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."