AV-8B Harrier Thread

Angelthunder

We are in early access...

So ofc the aircraft is not feature complete.

Wait and see what its like when it reaches full release and if things are still missing then there would be reason to complain.

Before buying a early access product always take into account the fact that it is work in progress and there will be a long time untill all the features are implemented into the aircraft.

Ok... I ll wait...a long time.... there is anything else to do....if not to wait... Bye

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok... I ll wait...a long time.... there is anything else to do....if not to wait... Bye
Well, you could start learning proper STO, VTO and the different landings including carrier landings in different spots.

Followed by air-to-air refueling, TACAN navigation.

Then there's BFM with guns and AIM-9, with VIFF, as it is very Harrier specific...

And if we have mastered all this, we can start with low level ingress and pop up in night conditions, may be combined with short range attacks against smaller SAM.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Cool, at least it sounds like yes there are things that aren't yet implemented, but might get implemented in the future. At least it's not a definite no. And I guess instead of a powerful radar in the nose, it's got all that cool FLIR night time tech. Hence why maybe the version we got can't use them 120. Although it does seem silly having a multi role attack fighter that can take off from a carrier, but doesn't use those Harpoons. So far I've only been able to take out ships like the Molniya or Grisha. I tried taking on the Yantie. AGM-65G don't really cut it. But I think that is me not using the right tool for the job. Or just not know what I'm doing.

Right now my biggest gripe with the AV-8B isn't the plane. It's those rockeye cluster bombs. They just don't seem to do much damage. From what I've read that is more a DCS problem.

So yeah early access, but at least we have the TPOD working, so we can do laser bombs and what not. Enough to tide us over at least :) And the night time flying is awesome with the FLIR on the HUD. I'm no longer scared of the night hehe.

Thanks for the responses

Well, you could start learning proper STO, VTO and the different landings including carrier landings in different spots.

Followed by air-to-air refueling, TACAN navigation.

Then there's BFM with guns and AIM-9, with VIFF, as it is very Harrier specific...

And if we have mastered all this, we can start with low level ingress and pop up in night conditions, may be combined with short range attacks against smaller SAM.

Ok. :)

Cool, at least it sounds like yes there are things that aren't yet implemented, but might get implemented in the future. At least it's not a definite no. And I guess instead of a powerful radar in the nose, it's got all that cool FLIR night time tech. Hence why maybe the version we got can't use them 120. Although it does seem silly having a multi role attack fighter that can take off from a carrier, but doesn't use those Harpoons. So far I've only been able to take out ships like the Molniya or Grisha. I tried taking on the Yantie. AGM-65G don't really cut it. But I think that is me not using the right tool for the job. Or just not know what I'm doing.

Right now my biggest gripe with the AV-8B isn't the plane. It's those rockeye cluster bombs. They just don't seem to do much damage. From what I've read that is more a DCS problem.

So yeah early access, but at least we have the TPOD working, so we can do laser bombs and what not. Enough to tide us over at least :) And the night time flying is awesome with the FLIR on the HUD. I'm no longer scared of the night hehe.

Thanks for the responses

Hello. yes, you are right for what concern the Mk 20...they are not very powerful . Maybe a problem of Dcs, like you told, maybe not at 100 %. The rockeyes aren't CBU 97 or 105. Anyway I found them better now after the relaese of DCS 2.5, but they are not able to take out a BMP1 with a single shot. Better are the Zunis in my opinion. If you are able to aim them correctly, they are very powerful. And using the abiity of the harrier to fly normally in the night, without to be spotted by not modern forces, it's possible to fly very near to the target and shoot with precision. Once, with my surprise, I was able to destroy a T55 with 1 or 2 shots well aimed... Bye..

hello to all... I have a question.... someone of you noticed the "vapor" that result when with the harrier you try a vertical landing in DCS 2.5? Yesterday I was trying a vertical landing and everything was going correctly till when I was near to the groud and the farp. At this point the vapor from the engines surrounded the plane and I was unable to see anything from the cokpit. Of course my landing wasn't good....for not to say that I broke completely the plane. Maybe because I was playing with bad weather conditions (rain ) ? Or because I was using water to col down the engines and for this there was the vapor?...I don't know....some of you can help me ? thanks. Fabio

hello to all... I have a question.... someone of you noticed the "vapor" that result when with the harrier you try a vertical landing in DCS 2.5? Yesterday I was trying a vertical landing and everything was going correctly till when I was near to the groud and the farp. At this point the vapor from the engines surrounded the plane and I was unable to see anything from the cokpit. Of course my landing wasn't good....for not to say that I broke completely the plane. Maybe because I was playing with bad weather conditions (rain ) ? Or because I was using water to col down the engines and for this there was the vapor?...I don't know....some of you can help me ? thanks. Fabio
That isn't vapor it is the dust you kick up from the ground. A typical "brownout".

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Thanks for the responses

Well, I do know that the Harrier II + afaik did indeed carry the bigger anti-radiation missles (HARMs and such) but i am not sure if the harrier ever harried harpoons in any configuration.

Another thing you said there is "Multi-Role attack fighter". Just wanted to throw in that while the harrier is certainly more capable at air-air than many other attack aircraft, it is still very much outclassed by most fighters and I would not really consider "fighter" in its "multi-role" status. It is true that it is a multi-role though, I will agree.

Rig Specs: i7 8700k @ 5ghz, ROG Strix z390e, 32GB DDR4 3200mhz, EVGA FTW3 1080 ti, Corsair rm750, Cooler Master ml240l RGB, Cooler Master h500p mesh

Well, I do know that the Harrier II + afaik did indeed carry the bigger anti-radiation missles (HARMs and such) but i am not sure if the harrier ever harried harpoons in any configuration.

Just curious, but what are your sources regarding the HARMs? I have done quite a bit of searching for actual info on this, and all I've found so far is references to wikipedia (which is not a credible source without proper citation).

Just curious, but what are your sources regarding the HARMs? I have done quite a bit of searching for actual info on this, and all I've found so far is references to wikipedia (which is not a credible source without proper citation).

Well, to be fair that was where I got my source. It’s funny, because other sites have cited Wikipedia as a source on that one.

I found one comment that was basically “it was rated to carry them but never did” or something like that.

Either way, I think the best way to treat the harriers SEAD capability is as a self defense tool when attacking SAM defended regions, rather than an actual capability to do SEAD. Especially since the 122s are so hit or miss, literally

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rig Specs: i7 8700k @ 5ghz, ROG Strix z390e, 32GB DDR4 3200mhz, EVGA FTW3 1080 ti, Corsair rm750, Cooler Master ml240l RGB, Cooler Master h500p mesh

A weapon being "hit or miss" is fairly definitionally SEAD. The goal (or desired effect) is to deter the enemy from radiating, firing, or supporting their weapons to impact. Destruction, the desired effect of DEAD, would just be a welcome bonus.

What's missing is any of this deterrence really being represented in the sim. Firing the weapons right before or during a friendly attack run doesn't really deter them from attempting a kill anyway like it might in reality.

A weapon being "hit or miss" is fairly definitionally SEAD. The goal (or desired effect) is to deter the enemy from radiating, firing, or supporting their weapons to impact. Destruction, the desired effect of DEAD, would just be a welcome bonus.

What's missing is any of this deterrence really being represented in the sim. Firing the weapons right before or during a friendly attack run doesn't really deter them from attempting a kill anyway like it might in reality.

Well said, although with a little bit of effort such behaviour can be simulated to some extent. Actually it is a very good idea!

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

phantomknight321, drPhibes

I read it on Wiki so might not be an accurate statement. Also it could be me not considering the different versions of the AV8B.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonnell_Douglas_AV-8B_Harrier_II

Armament

Guns: 1× General Dynamics GAU-12 Equalizer 25 mm (0.984 in) 5-barreled Rotary cannon mounted under-fuselage in the left pod, with 300 rounds of ammunition in the right pod

Hardpoints: 6× under-wing pylon stations holding up to 9,200 lb (4,200 kg) of payload:

Rockets: ** 4× LAU-5003 rocket pods (each with 19× CRV7 or APKWS[63] 70 mm rockets)

Missiles: ** Air-to-air missiles:

4× AIM-9 Sidewinder or similar-sized infrared-guided missiles

6× AIM-120 AMRAAM (on radar equipped AV-8B Plus variants) didn't notice this till now, woops :doh: . Shame there isn't an external radar pod for such things.

Air-to-surface missiles:

6× AGM-65 Maverick; or

2× AGM-84 Harpoon; or

2× AGM-88 HARM

(which is not a credible source without proper citation) very true.

I'm being silly and assuming. I'm thinking of the USA large Carrier's that can carry different aircraft. Then there's the Hornet. Seems like a good idea to have a naval carrier ship that carry's naval planes that have the gear to take out enemy ships, just in case your ship runs out of anti ship missiles or if it's out of range. Redundancies and all that.

Doesn't the SU33 carry those big missiles for such situations. Kh-31, AKh-41.

If the Tarawa was getting hunted, or was hunting a destroyer or something. How would it go about it?

Does the Tarawa have the gear for long distance anti ships attacks. Or would the Harriers give it a try?

I'm just having a look at the Tarawa on Wiki. Not sure if I can trust it now :book:

I'm definitely getting confused with the different roles a fighter and an attack aircraft perform.

Thanks for the Video opps! That's the sort of result I've been hoping for.

It could be how I'm using them. I prefer CCIP drops with them. I hardly ever use the automatic drop style. So I'll give that a try :)

I read it on Wiki so might not be an accurate statement. Also it could be me not considering the different versions of the AV8B.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonnell_Douglas_AV-8B_Harrier_II

Armament

Guns: 1× General Dynamics GAU-12 Equalizer 25 mm (0.984 in) 5-barreled Rotary cannon mounted under-fuselage in the left pod, with 300 rounds of ammunition in the right pod

Hardpoints: 6× under-wing pylon stations holding up to 9,200 lb (4,200 kg) of payload:

Rockets: ** 4× LAU-5003 rocket pods (each with 19× CRV7 or APKWS[63] 70 mm rockets)

Missiles: ** Air-to-air missiles:

4× AIM-9 Sidewinder or similar-sized infrared-guided missiles

6× AIM-120 AMRAAM (on radar equipped AV-8B Plus variants) didn't notice this till now, woops :doh: . Shame there isn't an external radar pod for such things.

Air-to-surface missiles:

6× AGM-65 Maverick; or

2× AGM-84 Harpoon; or

2× AGM-88 HARM

(which is not a credible source without proper citation) very true.

Just one example, the list forgets to mention the Zuni rockets, at all.

That's the 4-rockets pod we already have...

Shagrat

• 2 weeks later...

Hello to all. Someone of you tried to play with the new updated DCS World 2.5.1.?

I tried yesterday but I was not very happy. The relly good thing is that now the water is moving, if you watch it from the harrier's cockpit on the Tarawa's deck. Very Very nice.... but I was also hoping to see a moving map like in the A10C. Actually I tried in many ways both in Caucasus and in Nevada map but there is no moving map. Maybe I do something wrong ? How is it possibile to see the map from the EHSD? And another thing....I ve been shot down when I was at 18000 ft by a Sa 13 gopher !! This thing never happened ever!... I ve been hit twice.,..nor one....I think that there is something wrong that must be correct in a future update...that kind of missile cannot reach 18000 ft.... Bye

Hi,

Bring up ehsd on screen. O; the left , there is an osd button MAPM, press it, then you need to press MAP button which appeared on the right side of screen

See :

Enjoy the map

Details:

Asus Z-170E, Intel i5-6600K @ 4.2GHz, 16GB RAM

MSI GTX970 Gaming 4G

Win 10 Home

Hello to all. Someone of you tried to play with the new updated DCS World 2.5.1.?

I tried yesterday but I was not very happy. The relly good thing is that now the water is moving, if you watch it from the harrier's cockpit on the Tarawa's deck. Very Very nice....

That is not new it depends on wind/weather. If you have no wind in the mission there are no waves.

but I was also hoping to see a moving map like in the A10C. Actually I tried in many ways both in Caucasus and in Nevada map but there is no moving map. Maybe I do something wrong ? How is it possibile to see the map from the EHSD?

Already been answered.

And another thing....I ve been shot down when I was at 18000 ft by a Sa 13 gopher !! This thing never happened ever!... I ve been hit twice.,..nor one....I think that there is something wrong that must be correct in a future update...that kind of missile cannot reach 18000 ft.... Bye

Where you circling over high ground? E.g. mountains? Then you need to take into account your actual height over ground.

For example, you fly at 18500 ft barometric (above sea level). The terrain below you is at 6400 ft. Your actual height over the SA-13 on the ground is 12300ft... So you need to be careful.

Hope that helps.

P.S. if you calculated height correctly and they still hit you it may be a bug, then post here again.

Shagrat

Hi,

Bring up ehsd on screen. O; the left , there is an osd button MAPM, press it, then you need to press MAP button which appeared on the right side of screen

See :

Enjoy the map

Thank you very much. Watching the video seems rather simple...probably yesterday I played at night and I was tired....I ll try as soon as possible like you suggested me. Thank you again Bye

That is not new it depends on wind/weather. If you have no wind in the mission there are no waves.

Already been answered.

Where you circling over high ground? E.g. mountains? Then you need to take into account your actual height over ground.

For example, you fly at 18500 ft barometric (above sea level). The terrain below you is at 6400 ft. Your actual height over the SA-13 on the ground is 12300ft... So you need to be careful.

Hope that helps.

P.S. if you calculated height correctly and they still hit you it may be a bug, then post here again.

. Thank you very much for the quick answer... for what I remember I was in Nevada map and the terrein under my plane was flat. I usually always select radar altimeter and not the barometric one...in order to avoid what actually happened... but maybe....I did a mistake and I forgot to activate the radar altimeter...I played during the night as soon as the download was complete ...today I ll try again...and I ll tell you... I hope it's not a bug. I prefer to do a mistake...bye