AV-8B Harrier Thread

Angelthunder

@Zeus67 , can you share a video about agm-122 demo?

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why are mk20 rockeye despised? (Aside from being old tech)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because unlike the CBU-87/97 type weapons which can be programmed from within the cockpit and BL775 which can be set by the groun crew the Rockeye has a fixed (4 second I think?) delay from arming to deploying which makes it somewhat limited in the things you can do with it.

It's perfectly lethal if you get it right but it's not as flexible as the more advanced weapons.

Because unlike the CBU-87/97 type weapons which can be programmed from within the cockpit and BL775 which can be set by the groun crew the Rockeye has a fixed (4 second I think?) delay from arming to deploying which makes it somewhat limited in the things you can do with it.

It's perfectly lethal if you get it right but it's not as flexible as the more advanced weapons.

Ah. Thanks

Originally Posted by Paradox View Post

Because unlike the CBU-87/97 type weapons which can be programmed from within the cockpit and BL775 which can be set by the groun crew the Rockeye has a fixed (4 second I

The original Bl755 behaved in much the same way, it had a fixed time delay before deploying the bomblets. this meant it was limited to low level laydown delivery. It was available in 4 marks, fix delay in Mk1, Mk2 had a shorter delay for use on faster aircraft (tornado), Mk3 had different suspension lugs and mk4 had (improved or IBl755) differing delays and improved bomblets.

In the early 90s when the RAF started to move away from purely low level operations they developed RBl755, this had a radar proximity sensor on the tail of the bomb that didn`t start the deployment sequence until the bomb had reached a specific height, this allowed it to be dropped from Med altitude.

Why are mk20 rockeye despised? (Aside from being old tech)

Not despised just obsolete although still very effective, but from what I have read there is a high percentage of MK-20s that are misreleased and thus the bomblets either do no deploy or the covered area is quite small.

It seems that cluster bomb release is more an art than a science.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

Not despised just obsolete although still very effective, but from what I have read there is a high percentage of MK-20s that are misreleased and thus the bomblets either do no deploy or the covered area is quite small.

It seems that cluster bomb release is more an art than a science.

And a warcrime I beleive in many countries :P

wow really.... smh

Well in 'another sim which shall not be named' the fuses broke on the Mk20s if you pulled too many G's. That was the main disadvantage in comparison to the -87/97/etc. Happened quite often that you would drop them only for them to go ballistic into the dirt because you overdid it on ingress.

9./JG27

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin

it would be cool to damaged runway (with real hole), so the harrier could be an asset.
As far as I am aware, the bombs/explosions that leave a crater texture already "damage" the runway...

May need to retest.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

As far as I am aware, the bombs/explosions that leave a crater texture already "damage" the runway...

May need to retest.

There is a "runway unavailable" timer in DCS that indicates that the runway cannot be used for a while. It is assumed that the runway is repaired after the timer runs out.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

Yes yes yes :)

PC: i7 9700K, 32 GB RAM, RTX 2080 SUPER, Tir 5, Hotas Warthog Throttle, VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base with VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, VKB-SIM T-RUDDER PEDALS MK.IV. Modules : NEVADA, F-5E, M-2000C, BF-109K4, A-10C, FC3, P-51D, MIG-21BIS, MI-8MTV2, F-86F, FW-190D9, UH-1H, L-39, MIG-15BIS, AJS37, SPITFIRE-MKIX, AV8BNA, PERSIAN GULF, F/A-18C HORNET, YAK-52, KA-50, F-14,SA342, C-101, F-16, JF-17, Supercarrier,I-16,MIG-19P, P-47D,A-10C_II

• ED Team
Is that coming up for sale today??

We will know more soon dont worry :)

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Wow new clouds and new explosion effects FTW. By the way trailer is top notch

Edited by sniperwolfpk5

Win10, Intel 3rd Gen. Core i7 3.8Ghz, 20GB ram, Nvidia Geforce 1060 6GB Opentrack (Download it from HERE), PS3 Eye, Saitek x52-pro Joystick,

DIY Rudder Pedals,

Google Cardboard with DCS World

English is not my native language

Launch before xmas plz!!!!

"God doesn't give people talents that he doesn't want people to use. And he gave you The Touch. It's a power inside of you, down there where you keep your guts boy. It's all you need to blast your way in and get back what they took from you..." - Chappy Sinclair