AV-8B Harrier Thread

Angelthunder

Well, you can shoot Mavericks from the ground with the Viggen, why can't you do the same with the Sidewinder? (in DCS) My guess is that the FM of the missile wasn't developed to be used under those conditions, so that's why you are able to shoot Mavs even though you are on the ground, probably the missile would stall...

I think ED could work on these missiles in order to prevent this sort of a thing.

So if Zeus happens to do this test, I'm sure it will work.

The question is, is it realistic? Maybe not, that's why ED would need to work on the FM to prevent that.

However, at the same time, the AIM-9L weighs no more than 85kg, so maybe it's possible? since its motor is a rocket...

Edited by Vitormouraa

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've tried ground firing sidewinders from the A-10. Even if I'm sitting on the tail, the missile hits the ground in front if me (which is questionable imo, the missile should have plenty of thrust to climb from that position)

But the problem with firing them from a hover is the lack of control authority. The Harrier's unstable hovering characteristics means you have to keep pitch and roll near zero, and yaw response is very sluggish. If you pitch up to get tone on a bandit, by the time you get the missile off you will be entering an uncontrollable backflip...

DCS modules are built up to a spec, not down to a schedule.

In order to utilize a system to your advantage, you must know how it works.

Yeah, but it still wouldn't have had a chance in dogfight training against the F-5Es from the USAF aggressors, and the F-15, in the first place.

Actually the original SHAR scored an impressive "Kill" ratio in training against both.

The F-15 had only AIM-7 Sparrows at that time (1980ies), though.

Now if you upgrade a highly maneuverable subsonic fighter jet that can easily hold its own against a highly maneuverable F-5E, beat F-15s, to BVR capabilities, that sounds a good idea to me...

And before someone goes ballistic about it, this is from "Mr. Sea Harriers" book, who did participate in the training...

Read from page 49 last paragraph

https://books.google.de/books?id=Dt7RAwAAQBAJ&pg=PA51&lpg=PA51&dq=sea+harrier+against+f-5&source=bl&ots=E8yWW_XS9T&sig=-m98ssynypDwYeDuYxBI6tPlHHM&hl=de&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiroPv19JvTAhWHzRQKHYJ9Dq0Q6AEITzAM#v=onepage&q=sea%20harrier%20against%20f-5&f=false

:smilewink:

?

I will be surprised if ED are able to simulate the "hide the jet exhaust trick" Mr. Sea Harriers talks about, but I hope they can. I get the impression from that book the Harrier is going to be very dangerous in a knife fight.

JD

AKA_MattE

I will be surprised if ED are able to simulate the "hide the jet exhaust trick" Mr. Sea Harriers talks about, but I hope they can. I get the impression from that book the Harrier is going to be very dangerous in a knife fight.

JD

AKA_MattE

Yep, small but deadly...

Ok, the AV-8B is not the Sea Harrier, but it is as nimble and has the same tricks up his sleeves.

Only you miss the A-A radar.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

So with hovering in combat, I am guessing that sadly our version of the Harrier won't be able to hover around and shoot and fire in real, pratical, combat. Using True Lies starring Arnold Schwarzenegger, I will provide evidence for my case that it can in fact with pictures!

maxresdefault.jpg

Sorry for blurriness but as we can see our talented Harrier Pilot is using his AIM-9's to pick up his enemy's, a clever trick that only a talented Marine Pilot would think of! I am sure RAZBAM is working with ED to implement this combat tactic. This tactic can be used to pick up targets for interrogation or as we can see below, to effectively eliminate enemy's. Evidence in the 2 pictures below.

True_Lies_02.jpg

missile.jpg?quality=100&w=650&h=400

We can also use the Harrier for saving shot down pilots on CSAR missions or new DCS humanitarian missions (which can be implemented in the Huey and Mi-8 also). Notice how in the scenes documenting the AV-8B how it can pick up the refugee's all over the aircraft!

truelies9.jpg

truelies10.jpg

Finally we can see how we are able to drop off the hostages (hidden on the other side of the wing you know) to local police/military units for their safety.

500px-TrLAV-8B_3.jpg

It's important to notice that the AV-8B is carrying a very light payload. With my case proven, I have only one question remaining. Will these abilities be implemented in Beta or only in the full release (specifically shooting enemy's off with the Sidewinder to their demise)? I understand that it would be hard to detail all the hostages hanging off your nose too, but RAZBAM I got faith in you!

• Like 1

Don't forget to say "you're fired" every time you launch a Sidewinder.

That's all I do! The other day I spent an hour practicing hovering around a construction crane.

"Witness mere F-14s taking off from adjacent flight decks, gracefully canting left and right, afterburners flaming, and there’s something that sweeps you away—or at least it does me. And no amount of knowledge of the potential abuses of carrier task forces can affect the depth of that feeling. It simply speaks to another part of me. It doesn’t want recriminations or politics. It just wants to fly.”

― Carl Sagan

So with hovering in combat, I am guessing that sadly our version of the Harrier won't be able to hover around and shoot and fire in real, pratical, combat. Using True Lies starring Arnold Schwarzenegger, I will provide evidence for my case that it can in fact with pictures!

maxresdefault.jpg

Sorry for blurriness but as we can see our talented Harrier Pilot is using his AIM-9's to pick up his enemy's, a clever trick that only a talented Marine Pilot would think of! I am sure RAZBAM is working with ED to implement this combat tactic. This tactic can be used to pick up targets for interrogation or as we can see below, to effectively eliminate enemy's. Evidence in the 2 pictures below.

True_Lies_02.jpg

missile.jpg?quality=100&w=650&h=400

We can also use the Harrier for saving shot down pilots on CSAR missions or new DCS humanitarian missions (which can be implemented in the Huey and Mi-8 also). Notice how in the scenes documenting the AV-8B how it can pick up the refugee's all over the aircraft!

truelies9.jpg

truelies10.jpg

Finally we can see how we are able to drop off the hostages (hidden on the other side of the wing you know) to local police/military units for their safety.

500px-TrLAV-8B_3.jpg

It's important to notice that the AV-8B is carrying a very light payload. With my case proven, I have only one question remaining. Will these abilities be implemented in Beta or only in the full release (specifically shooting enemy's off with the Sidewinder to their demise)? I understand that it would be hard to detail all the hostages hanging off your nose too, but RAZBAM I got faith in you!

Sorry, that´s the Day Attack version. So no hovering around cranes for you.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

It's not advisable to carry small children on the nose, apart from covering the flir and vane they tend to fod the engine when they whistle down the intake.

True True, you need to carry someone around at least 100lb and 5ft to avoid the possibility of FOD. Fortunately they can ride on the wings or Arnolds Lap

Belle Conroy.

Simulare la nostra Marina Militare sarà uno spettacolo

Sì, direi di sì! Sei passato ai tubi da stufa definitivamente alla fine.

Sono Veltro del 150GCT.:smilewink:

Bello il Mirage ma questo AV8B promette davvero bene, concordo!

Probably to prove the Italian school system is as bad in teaching foreign languages as everyone thinks it is. :D

I dare to disagree, usually in my job the Italians I have to speak to are efficient in French :thumbup:

:lol:

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

I dare to disagree, usually in my job the Italians I have to speak to are efficient in French

*LMAO*

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)