AV-8B Harrier Thread

Angelthunder

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even though I will most likely get this module once it is released (because it is awesome), I have hope that they might also release a AV-8B II plus with AN/APG-65 radar. For example as an upgrade package for people that allready own the AV-8B II NA.

Maybe once the F/A-18 is released they can model it correctly.

Even though I will most likely get this module once it is released (because it is awesome), I have hope that they might also release a AV-8B II plus with AN/APG-65 radar. For example as an upgrade package for people that allready own the AV-8B II NA.

Maybe once the F/A-18 is released they can model it correctly.

The plan, as they've articulated before, is that after ED releases their ground radar to the 3rd party developers, there is a high chance they will do an AV-8B+ as well. Whether or not that will be the first radar equipped aircraft they intend to do or whatever decision they make from a distribution standpoint hasn't yet been mentioned.

So like there was a post in the Viggen forums about how to limit the AJS37 to an AJ37 by removing a few features, what would be a way to simulate limiting the AV8B to a British Harrier equivalent by either not arming/mounting/using features?

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

So like there was a post in the Viggen forums about how to limit the AJS37 to an AJ37 by removing a few features, what would be a way to simulate limiting the AV8B to a British Harrier equivalent by either not arming/mounting/using features?

It's complicated, the GR-7/ GR-9 aren't downgraded AV-8B, it's rather the same aircraft with different upgrades and systems.

Different TGP, different munitions, different ECM...

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

About the screens, they look amazing, but there is a little detail that I feel its a pity for such a good looking 3d model...POLYGONS!!...air intakes and canopy frames look so low poly that ruins the model in some angles...this also happens to the M2000 and cant understand why give so poor poly count in such important places?? we will be looking most o the time to the canopy frame so it should look as good as posible, also when looking back the air intakes are a very important part of the picture and they look soooo low poly that its hard to believe they didnt noticed it.

I know its WIP and because of that I want to say this now we are on time (m2000 has very low poly count in those areas)

Screen_170203_164641_zpssbeeac1t.jpg

Take a look at my MODS here

Im way behind on the development of the Harrier. Is the "hope to" release this year?

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

...there is a little detail that I feel its a pity for such a good looking 3d model...POLYGONS!!...air intakes and canopy frames look so low poly that ruins the model in some angles...this also happens to the M2000 and cant understand why give so poor poly count in such important places??

I know its WIP and because of that I want to say this now we are on time (m2000 has very low poly count in those areas)

Mate, if you're better than the RAZBAM 3D artists, you should consider offering them your services. :thumbup:

More seriously: 3D modeling for video games has always been a compromise between making something look as close as it looks in real life, and making something that won't make your PC suffer. Would you prefer a high poly count Harrier slide show, or a low poly count Harrier that you can fly within the game?

And there's no exterior textures yet on that aircraft. Part of the textures' job is to make the polys disappear.

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

From what I've seen and read the American harrier was only able to carry the TGP on wing pylons until a wiring upgrade enabled it to carry it on the center pylon. The American harriers were never equipped to carry them on the 'gun pylons'. The British GR.9's did have this capability tho.

I read that part of the reason for never using them on the gun pylons was down to it being an asymmetric loadout. The aircraft needed to land vertically, on a carrier, having the TGP on a gun pylon created an unstable loadout.

Here's a pic of carrying it in the center pylon

For some quick sources -

source 1

source 2 - skip to page 510

Intel i5-8600k | EVGA RTX 3070 | Windows 10 | 32GB RAM @3600 MHz | 500 GB Samsung 850 SSD

Mate, if you're better than the RAZBAM 3D artists, you should consider offering them your services. :thumbup:

More seriously: 3D modeling for video games has always been a compromise between making something look as close as it looks in real life, and making something that won't make your PC suffer. Would you prefer a high poly count Harrier slide show, or a low poly count Harrier that you can fly within the game?

And there's no exterior textures yet on that aircraft. Part of the textures' job is to make the polys disappear.

I have quite a bit of knowledge in 3d modeling in fact mate ( Im an engineer and used many structural soft and Max), maybe because of that I know this can be easily done if the mesh has been correctly built (other modules look much better on this, razbam ones use to have this problem so if others can...).

About the "slide show", well, I dont remember saying anywhere they should use 300000000000000 polygons into the parts I mentioned to make them look good, but instead of using 4 polygons they could use 8 for example (in THAT particular area of the mesh) so performance would be 99,9999999% the same into a 300.000 polys model but you probably wouldnt notice that the canopy frame is half hexagon :thumbup:.

EDIT: Textures have NOTHING to do with polygons other than mask them a bit in some angles btw...

Take a look at my MODS here

The following video is the first test of the AV-8B N/A HUD. It is in its early stages. Only the pitch ladder, VVM and waterline marker are available.

• Like 1

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

Cool! Thanks for sharing that, Zeus.

Justificus

System Specs:

i7 4970K @ 4.8, GTX 1080 SC, 32GB G.Skill DDR 2133,Thermaltake Level 10 Full Tower Case, Noctua NH-D15 6 Cooler, Win 10 Pro, Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, CH Throttle Quadrant, Oculus, 1 32" & 2 19" Monitors

Modules Owned: A-10C I+II, Ka-50, FC3, F-86, Mig-15, Mig21, UH-1H, Mi-8, CA, P-51D, BF-109K-4, FW-190 D-9, Hawk, NTTR, M-2000C, SA342, F-5E, Spit Mk. IX, AJS-37, Normandy, WWII A.P., AV-8B, F/A-18C, L-39, Persian Gulf, Mig-19P, I-16, Super Carrier, F-16, Channel, Syria

I really like your progress so far, but I have a question - Is this the final model of the cockpit and especially the canopy frame?

The following video is the first test of the AV-8B N/A HUD. It is in its early stages. Only the pitch ladder, VVM and waterline marker are available.

I don't think its the final anything. Not saying your question doesn't have any merit, but Zeus is being very kind with showing Razbam's incremental progress. AFAIK very few devs do that in DCS. If people keep pointing out problems with WIP images and videos, he might stop showing them. Cheers.

Good stuff Zeus, keep it coming. :)

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

But some go too far and start bashing the dev team.

using mobile

Which is totally uncalled for and not necessary. Some people just don't understand WIP and that frustrates me.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Know and use all the capabilities in your airplane. If you don't, sooner or later, some guy who does use them all will kick your ass.

— Dave 'Preacher' Pace, USN.