AV-8B Harrier Thread

Angelthunder

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which type of Harrier are we getting,the B model or B+ variant or both.

IIRC, they were kicking around the idea of doing a GR7 or GR9 last year.

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

I want both RAF and USMC variants.According to wikipedia,the AV-8B carries the same types of weapons as the F/A-18C Hornet which were getting for DCS.Hopefully that means we get HARM ARM & ASM Harpoons with the Harrier too.:)If Razbam does make the USMC version,i hope we get a LHD ship for it.

I thought they didn't carry HARM/Harpoon?

In any case, I really want to try those Sidearm things (AIM-9s turned into anti-radar missiles)...and I think the Harriers had them...also, VTOL, who doesn't want to flip a Harrier - I mean fly around and hover? :P

Lord of Salt

OMG, can you imagine what handful this'll be to land on a heaving deck? Nevermind the pale imitation stuff we have seen before now, if the right flight model is packaged with it, this one could be a world beater!

I just hope the security limitations don't mean we can't have AV8B/GR7.

I just hope the security limitations don't mean we can't have AV8B/GR7.

I'm sure we could have as much of a hi fidelity harrier as we can a hi fidelity warthog or hornet.

I would really love to try to learn the flight characteristics of the harrier, especially if they can get some RL harrier pilots to help make it feel right.

PC:

6600K @ 4.5 GHz, 12GB RAM, GTX 970, 32" 2K monitor.

I wonder if their work from the microsoft flight sim will in any way speed up process on a Harrier for DCS. Could they use the same 3D models?

Absolutely - you'd be amazed (and impressed, I'm sure) at some of the models I've seen imported into DCS World by indie FSX devs, using current cockpits.

Be a long time before we see a harrier, As nice as it would be i just cant see it for a few years yet

That's what I was thinking. 3-5 years is my guess, but then who knows? Maybe once the ball is rolling the process will become more efficient.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

Absolutely - you'd be amazed (and impressed, I'm sure) at some of the models I've seen imported into DCS World by indie FSX devs, using current cockpits.

That's what I was thinking. 3-5 years is my guess, but then who knows? Maybe once the ball is rolling the process will become more efficient.

well the animation for thrust vectoring is easy, it's the actual direction that he engines push thrust out of. IT's kind of merging a helicopter flight model with a jet.

Not my words :)

pilots refer to handling a harrier on hovering as trying to balance an egg on a knife...

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

pilots refer to handling a harrier on hovering as trying to balance an egg on a knife...

i somwhere heard, they arent able to hoover long, and its more like a slow descent. Engines runing over 100% and they also need tons of water for the engine to cool it down in hoover mode. And they arent able to take off 100% verticaly like a chopper

is that true?

SFMBE

i somwhere heard, they arent able to hoover long, and its more like a slow descent. Engines runing over 100% and they also need tons of water for the engine to cool it down in hoover mode. And they arent able to take off 100% verticaly like a chopper

is that true?

The answer is... it depends:smilewink:

They are able to hover and take off vertically, but this is dependant on weight.

For example the maximum vertical take off weight is about 21,000lb, the empty weight of the Harrier (2/av8b) is about 14,000lb , which leave 7,000lb split between fuel and weapons, so it either will not be able to go very far or carry many weapons.

For a rolling take off the max weight goes upto 31,000lb a big difference, which is why they normally employ a rolling take off and vertical landing.

As for the water again it depends, the Mk105 and Mk107 Pegasus doesn't need to have water injection to maintain a hover, but it helps at certain atmospheric temps to improve engine performance/life.

The answer is... it depends:smilewink:

They are able to hover and take off vertically, but this is dependant on weight.

For example the maximum vertical take off weight is about 21,000lb, the empty weight of the Harrier (2/av8b) is about 14,000lb , which leave 7,000lb split between fuel and weapons, so it either will not be able to go very far or carry many weapons.

For a rolling take off the max weight goes upto 31,000lb a big difference, which is why they normally employ a rolling take off and vertical landing.

As for the water again it depends, the Mk105 and Mk107 Pegasus doesn't need to have water injection to maintain a hover, but it helps at certain atmospheric temps to improve engine performance/life.

thank you for that reply. Now i want AV-8B more then ever^^

EDIT:

This guy has a Harrier as a civil guy^^

[ame]

[/ame]
Edited by whaaw

SFMBE

The Brit GR.7 would be great and probably easier to do than a radar equipped Boeing version. It would be nice to use hides as well and be fairly near the front line to. Better not hovver for more than 90 seconds though, or try vl' ing with stores aboard on a hot day ;)

I was watching a great documentary about the Harrier development on YT - very good film. I downloaded it a while ago, so don't have the link - but I'll look for it.

Found it:

https://youtu.be/WxzpKtbNKQ0

There are a few around.

Edited by Brixmis

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2