DCS: AJS-37 Viggen Discussion

VEPR 12

I think I've stated it myself a few times back in the (now big) thread but, well...

It is an interesting but obscure aircraft, when you read up shows up quite capable, especially for it's time, but not one you see too much either in popular media or flight sims. I'm one more for variety, and we had lots of US, some Russian and some central European aircraft modeled in various levels within various sims for decades. If I'm correct, last time Viggen was featured in a sim, Amigas and even C-64s were still relevant systems :)! Since it didn't fired a shot in anger, it will be interesting to see it prove it's mettle among 3rd gen combat aircraft in virtual combat.

It had features quite advanced for it's day, and also has a characteristic look, it's pretty, but also mean looking and and almost ugly at the same time :P.

Also, 3rd generation combat aircraft are the ones I'm most interested in, at least for DCS currently, and Viggen has a lot features to play with, ground mapping radar, antiship missiles, 6 all aspect air to air missiles if I decide to tackle with aerial stuff, Mavericks, and especially the BK 90 if we get it (which I hope we can). First supersonic strike aircraft, what's not to like? :)

Actually the JA-37Di viggen was added for Falcon 4 BMS recently.

the Viggen is also Avaliable in X-plane 10 as one of the default airplanes.

But this will probably be the first true high fidelity modeling of the Viggen.

(Since BMS is a great game but the JA-37 in BMS still uses F-16 avionics and F-16 systems etc)

But yea im hyped about the AJS-37 =)

Zipping through the vallies at tree top level before doing a pop up attack launching off ur 4 mavs (or whatever you are carrying) before going full afterburners back into the hills before anyone has any time to react to you.

Its gonna be a very different thing from flying a A-10 or su-25 =).

Good luck catching me in my AJS-37 mr Fighters im just as fast as you and i know how to hide!!!

May i ask a general question for non swedes.

What makes you guys the most interested / excited about this AJS-37 Module?

Personally I am not too interested in the American F-Teens, I think I've got kind of over-saturated with them over the years. So a rather unique and not too well known aircraft is highly welcome in my book. I've seen the Viggen fly a couple of times at airshows here (my country having quite a history with Saab aircraft), the looks, the sound and just the raw power of that thing are breathtaking.

Also the enthusiasm of you guys is quite contagious! ;) Your knowledge and all the information you've gathered are great. Simply reading along here I've learned so much not just about the aircraft, but about history in general... that's why I love this forum. So keep at it! :thumbup:

Edited by spiddx

Specs:

i9 10900K @ 5.1 GHz, EVGA GTX 1080Ti, MSI Z490 MEG Godlike, 32GB DDR4 @ 3600, Win 10, Samsung S34E790C, Vive, TIR5, 10cm extended Warthog on WarBRD, Crosswinds

Actually the JA-37Di viggen was added for Falcon 4 BMS recently.

Oh yeah, I've taken some peek at it when it was released. But for some reason I've always been more interested in the attack Viggen, and yeah, like you've said it wasn't Viggen avionics in that rendition.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

Since its obvious for most swedes why we want it and love it but there are so many none swedes looking forward to it im curious what in particular makes you guys interesting in this aircraft.

It was just a favorite of mine growing up. It was the first fast jet I knew of that used canards and those huge canards looked lovely.

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

Since its obvious for most swedes why we want it and love it but there are so many none swedes looking forward to it im curious what in particular makes you guys interesting in this aircraft.

First fast-moving ground pounder in DCS with interesting guided weapons and nav radar.

Edited by emg

went there last year.

But yea i hope to get a job at one of the aircraft museums some day.

If only parttime.

Either F-15,F-4,F-21 or the dream would be Linköping.

Im guessing you have tried the Sim at F-15 then?.

I wanted to but forgot to schedule a Sim time in advance ^^.

But yea i cant wait for this aircraft =).

And hopefully the map for it will be nice.

When i say work i dont mean im hired, we all work for free to keep the museum going. Anyone who wants can come and help out in whatever way they want :) And yes i have tried it many. MANY times.. I work as a instructor on it, So there are quite a few gaps for us instructors to fly ;)..

Viggen in Caucasus is not really fit. I'd love Scandinavian map. Remind me of DID EF2000. Even in 486DX era the scenery was awesome....

Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

Isn't basicly all museums ever volunteer based essentially?Almost nobody is paid a cent to work in any museums. A small one like an old air wing museum? Yeah, you might have one or two actual paid jobs there.

I volunteered at the Queensland maritime museum for a while. Of all their staff, only the CEO and (IIRC) the operations manager were paid. The rest worked for free either because they liked the cause (I was one of them) or to qualify for unemployment benefits.

DCS: AJS-37 Viggen Discussion

You know, other than weapon load out what differences are there between the AJ & AJS? Could we perhaps see a tickbox in the mission editor to simulate an AJ 37 by simply restricting weapons on certain pylons I wonder?

The AJS has a different radar than the AJ did. The AJS shares the same radar as the reconnaissance versions used, the Ericsson PS-371/A, while the AJ had the PS-37/A. :-)

Well i assumed that was included in the talk of limiting the loadouts. (since he mentioned limiting weapons on certain pylons)

And also (IIRC) the RB-75 (maverick) was not available on all air to ground pylons prior to the upgrade.

So the AJ-37 could only carry 2 RB-75s where as the AJS-37 can have 4.

but again thats something you can limit urself by not mounting those missiles on those pylons.

But a RB-28 would have been a interesting addition if they also want to simulate the early days of the Viggen.

And seeing the weapon selection they included for the Mig-21 with all sorts of old missiles (K5 and R55 etc)

i dont think they have a problem with adding something like the RB-28.

Sure the RB-28 was not a amazing missile but the Aim-4 in general gets worse cred then it deserves.

and the RB-28 was improved in many ways so it would have been decent against non manuvering targets (especially bombers etc)

and also the RB-28 was mainly supposed to be used against bombers etc and for that duty it was more then good enough.

(when it was acquired for used on the J-35 draken)

Just a small thing, Sweden to my knowledge never uses - in any designation. It would be RB 28, RB 75 and J35 draken for example.

37vapenalt.jpg

Also, im dying for news on the release of this thing!

Ordnung.

Cobra said on the news years eve update that "It will be a few more weeks until we are ready." so im curious to see what the next weeks brings us, if anything.

Tell me of one time when they've posted an update on time. That's right, they never have. :smilewink:

Joking

Edited by Muppetlord

Tell me of one time when they've posted an update on time. That's right, they never have. :smilewink:

Joking

Honestly that irritates the hell out of me as someone who values punctuality highly (joking or not), but we can all rest assured that when they do show the Viggen, it will likely set a new standard for DCS.

Edited by OxideMako

Honestly that irritates the hell out of me as someone who values punctuality highly (joking or not), but we can all rest assured that when they do show the Viggen, it will likely set a new standard for DCS.

At least until the F-5 comes out. I think those 2 will be matching each other closely.