DCS: AJS-37 Viggen Discussion

VEPR 12

sorry to bother guys...i have a question...is the Viggen going to come before the F-14? if this is true...why there is not anything on the leatherneck website?

Viggen is indeed dropping before Tomcat.

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

sorry to bother guys...i have a question...is the Viggen going to come before the F-14? if this is true...why there is not anything on the leatherneck website?

Leatherneck has decided that they want to make the official announcement (with trailer and screenshots etc) when the product is very close to release. But they have confirmed that it will indeed be released before the F-14. Cobra said something along the lines of it being 95% of the way complete for them to make the official announcement. :-)

The article was from the online newspaper of a revolutionary neo-nazi organisation. You won't be missing it.

Yes I did a search a while ago for another FSIM project and stumbled upon that article... I was amazed about the content around that article... Do not like to have my IP visiting such pages... Anyway My Opinion

Leatherneck has decided that they want to make the official announcement (with trailer and screenshots etc) when the product is very close to release. But they have confirmed that it will indeed be released before the F-14. Cobra said something along the lines of it being 95% of the way complete for them to make the official announcement. :-)

that was the answer i was looking for! thank u :pilotfly:

I hope online mission designers design the mission for the jet a bit, right now lots of missions are built for A-10C, and other aircraft are just tossed in.

And for some reason, according to most mission makers a "rebel camp" somehow has 7 SA-3's, 21 shilka's and over 200 manpads.

So here is the final countermeasure part with the KA pod.

There are some comments in the end of the document about updated panels. So this information might not be 100% relevant for the AJS version we will get.

But the basics will probably be the same, with some updated/improved features/functionality.

Other might chime in about if this system is to be regarded as complex for its time or not, compared to other aircrafts in the same era.

Electronic countermeasure pod.pdf

• Like 1

Grippen is a pretty open platform. Its software and flight model are not classified.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saab_JAS_39_Gripen#Further_developments

Would it not be a more interesting platform then Viggen?

I have no objections to Viggen at all.

What makes you think the Gripens software is not classified?...

Its still a very modern aircraft and is in use/production and id say a large amount if not most of the information needed for a complete simulation is probably classified.

the AJ/AJS-37 is an older aircraft that is alot easier to get information about.

Grippen is a pretty open platform. Its software and flight model are not classified.

It's also immensely more complex than the Viggen in almost every way. I'm pretty sure they partly chose the Viggen because they can utilize parts of the code when developing the F-14, ground mapping radar for example, without the rest of the aircraft being to complex to be used as a kind of in betweener to be relealsed before the F-14 to calm the crowd down a bit :joystick:

Oh and also! The Viggen has has more of a special place in the hearts of swedes than the Gripen probably ever will have, we rarely see the Gripen, and when we do it's not very spectacular, it's very good at it's job, but it's not a crowd pleaser at the airshows! ;) The Viggen is a spectacular, loud and roaring aircraft that was seen very often in the sky all over Sweden during it's time. The Gripen, due to budget cuts, is rarely seen outside of airshows or around their home bases (of which there are only 3, compared to like 10-20 bases in the era of the Viggen). :)

F-14 doesn't have ground scanning radar, the Navy wanted it when they were retiring the Intruder, but they found that the F-14's radar really is a poor fit for ground scanning, and they didn't have the budget to fix that deficiency.

DCS: AJS-37 Viggen Discussion

F-14 doesn't have ground scanning radar, the Navy wanted it when they were retiring the Intruder, but they found that the F-14's radar really is a poor fit for ground scanning, and they didn't have the budget to fix that deficiency.

Oh, well then i had that all wrong. :D

What makes you think the Gripens software is not classified?...

Its still a very modern aircraft and is in use/production and id say a large amount if not most of the information needed for a complete simulation is probably classified.

the AJ/AJS-37 is an older aircraft that is alot easier to get information about.

Yes, just because it has a wikipedia page doesn't mean it hasn't got a lot of classified data. SAAB/Sweden has no reason to be giving out information about our weapon systems for free. You could ask the Swedish national archives for a copy of the manual, i doubt you'll get one. :P

Edited by RaXha

Yes, just because it has a wikipedia page doesn't mean it has a lot of classified data.

im gonna assume that was a error in phrasing ^^

But yea.

The Gripen is still very much classified.

Even the early Jas-39A.

Since most of the Systems in the Jas-39 are still in use with the Jas-39C

(if in a upgraded in cases like radar etc)

And to some extent a Swedish Jas-39A would probably be more Classified then a Export C (as used by Hungary, Czech Republic,Thailand Etc)

Since the Swedish jas-39A has the very advanced swedish datalink system while the exports does not

(as they wanted Link-16 for nato compatabillity etc)

And as said the Gripen is alot more complex.

And a more Complex aircraft means a longer development period.

So id rather have a viggen this year then a Gripen 2 years from now.

And also i prefer a Viggen due to the fact that atm i want more aircraft made between 1960-1990 in the game to expand what we have and make for a more balanced and complete experience.

Instead of even more stacking the aircraft in the wests favour.

Since having F-15C, F-18C, Eurofighter Typhoon and Jas-39 Gripen to fight Cold war Su-27s and Mig-29s would make for even more unbalanced situation then we already have.

And we already have plenty of western fighters but what we dont have are any super sonic attack/strike aircraft wich is where the AJS-37 fits in.

And that makes it a more Unique and interesting aircraft in dcs as the situation is currently.

But actually the F-14 and the Viggen actually shared some systems/components,

Atleast one of the Computers was the same type as used in the F-14.

But dont think that that any impact on development.

Edited by mattebubben

Infact even the JA37DI the newest version of the Viggen is classified, due to alot of parts and software in that version was later used in the JAS39 A-B versions and later.

Posting some close up pictures later of some weaponry,radar warner components and the lightning inside of the cockpit.

Edited by ShadoWw

Here are the pictures, freshly taken from an AJS37 and a SK37

First one is the radar warner on the wing.. And yes that is a BK90 barely visible in the bottom of the picture.. :thumbsup::

s4cjRAP.jpg

And the one on the rear:

YhyanGl.jpg

AJS37 cockpit in the dark, with a "moody" setting of the lighting. Only the main power is on "Huvudström till"

wVqqiOB.jpg

2x 120kg dumb bombs "120kg sprängbomb":

Zbb9M7I.jpg

And a close up of "Millan" Which has been intensivly discussed in a previous page :thumbup:

chZNcBp.jpg

Rb05 The pilot guided A/G Missile.

3G8gO9H.jpg

Close up of a Rb04, but this time hanging on the wing of a A32 Lansen.

OdetNb8.jpg

And ofc a picture of where it all happens!

JZAokV5.jpg

• Like 1

First one is the radar warner on the wing.. And yes that is a BK90 barely visible in the bottom of the picture.. :thumbsup::

s4cjRAP.jpg

And the one on the rear:

YhyanGl.jpg

AJS37 cockpit in the dark, with a "moody" setting of the lighting. Only the main power is on "Huvudström till"

wVqqiOB.jpg

Zbb9M7I.jpg

And a close up of "Millan" Which has been intensivly discussed in a previous page :thumbup:

chZNcBp.jpg

3G8gO9H.jpg

OdetNb8.jpg

JZAokV5.jpg

That looks amazing! Can't wait to get my hands on the Viggen!

s4cjRAP.jpg

And the one on the rear:

YhyanGl.jpg

wVqqiOB.jpg

Zbb9M7I.jpg

chZNcBp.jpg

3G8gO9H.jpg

OdetNb8.jpg

JZAokV5.jpg

Thats the F-15 Museum right? (Söderhamn)

Edited by mattebubben

Given that 6 nations use it for their air defense, I some how doubt they aren't classified to a large degree.

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

May i ask a general question for non swedes.

What makes you guys the most interested / excited about this AJS-37 Module?

Since its obvious for most swedes why we want it and love it but there are so many none swedes looking forward to it im curious what in particular makes you guys interesting in this aircraft.

May i ask a general question for non swedes.

What makes you guys the most interested / excited about this AJS-37 Module?

Since its obvious for most swedes why we want it and love it but there are so many none swedes looking forward to it im curious what in particular makes you guys interesting in this aircraft.

Well, it looks cool and it's a ground attack aircraft with afterburner.

I think I've stated it myself a few times back in the (now big) thread but, well...

It is an interesting but obscure aircraft, when you read up shows up quite capable, especially for it's time, but not one you see too much either in popular media or flight sims. I'm one more for variety, and we had lots of US, some Russian and some central European aircraft modeled in various levels within various sims for decades. If I'm correct, last time Viggen was featured in a sim, Amigas and even C-64s were still relevant systems :)! Since it didn't fired a shot in anger, it will be interesting to see it prove it's mettle among 3rd gen combat aircraft in virtual combat.

It had features quite advanced for it's day, and also has a characteristic look, it's pretty, but also mean looking and and almost ugly at the same time :P.

Also, 3rd generation combat aircraft are the ones I'm most interested in, at least for DCS currently, and Viggen has a lot features to play with, ground mapping radar, antiship missiles, 6 all aspect air to air missiles if I decide to tackle with aerial stuff, Mavericks, and especially the BK 90 if we get it (which I hope we can). First supersonic strike aircraft, what's not to like? :)

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script