DCS: AJS-37 Viggen Discussion

VEPR 12

Yea just seen now that it was developed in 2004 and Viggen was retired in 2005 so no sense in making the Viggen capable of using this version all though it would have been awesome :)

Someone gotta start making the Gripen for dcs :D

Well the Viggen in general was retired in 2005.

But the AJ/AJS left service between 98-00.

(With the JA 37 Fighter variant leaving service in 2004 and SF/SH Recce variants and the SK 37E Two Seater / Jamming aircraft leaving service in 2005)

So it would not have carried any of the later RBS variants.

So the first RBS 15F or maby the RBS 15F Mk II are what we are getting (i would lean towards the Mk 1 RBS 15F since its what we KNOW for sure the AJS 37 carried and there is not much difference between them anyway)

But the MK III with the Air-Ground abilities entered service several years after the AJS 37 left service so it will most likely not be an option.

(Especially since while Production / Testing of the RBS MK III might have started in 2004 service entry and the Air-Launched variant took several years more).

Edited by mattebubben

It is a shame there isn't any subforum for Viggen with dedicated threads for different topics. There is so much information and knowledge here but since it is all put in one big pile it will be very hard to get to it. Some of us has been active in this thread on a daily basis but coming from the outside will be pretty daunting for anyone that is jumping on the train lately... especially with all different side tracks, which are funny in many ways but they might add to the confusion and make it even harder to follow the actual information and so on.

But hey, we can start all over again creating new threads with each and every topic discussed here ;)

Or perhaps a few persons should put together a "best of" list of topics...?

Well the Viggen in general was retired in 2005.

But the AJ/AJS left service between 98-00.

Did the Gripen take over as a strike aircraft allready at that time or did they think it was not necessary with a strike aircraft as they didnt see any potential enemy?

Did the Gripen take over as a strike aircraft allready at that time or did they think it was not necessary with a strike aircraft as they didnt see any potential enemy?

The Gripen took over the Strike role.

In fact the First Gripens to enter service Took over the AJ/AJS 37s role when it came to Strike / Anti-Ship work where as the fighter JA 37 kept on going for a few more years until it to was replaced as more Gripens where Delivered.

(The JA 37 could have stayed in server for several more years as it was still up to date when it came to weapons/Radar etc so it was still a capable air-air platform but it was retired earlier due to a reduction in the size of the airforce.)

And the Reason that the Recce Viggens (SH and SF 37) were kept in service longer was due to a delay in the Gripen Recce pod but once those pods were in service those variants were also retired.

The JAS 39A was well suited for the Strike role and carried the Same BK90,RBS15 and AGM 65 (RB75/75T) as the AJS 37 had before it but with the addition of LGBs and a targeting pod as well as an internal gun and vastly more advanced systems etc.

Edited by mattebubben

Today is 28th Oct. I feel something big will happen today. lol.gif

Let's hope you're right :D

I would expect a big announcement by LNS before there will be anything big about the Viggen in EDs newsletter though.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

much want such need, many bk90s and rb05. ;D

Honestly cant wait for heli hunting. RB05 for the bantz, gunpods for efficiency, aim9s for the average unsuspecting helo.

If the a2g radar has enough resolution to spot helos on the 15km scale that would be brilliant.

BTW. A dev said something about passive radar modes, can it be used as poor mans ELINT ?

That would make bk90s a quite formidable weapon against portable Radar threats.

inb4 all the sa6s in Blueflag get insta nuked.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

*unexpected flight behaviour* Oh shiii*** ! What ? Why ? What is happening ?

The radar does have a passive mode, yes - you can use it just as a receiver, and also record the input. This is indeed a poor man's ELINT; it's mainly useful for figuring out what hostile e-war stuff is doing, but I believe it can also be useful for aiming rb 04 in home-on-jam mode. I guess it could also be used to find surface-to-air radars but it would require them to be working on the same frequency band as the PS-37/A, I think?

The radar does have a passive mode, yes - you can use it just as a receiver, and also record the input. This is indeed a poor man's ELINT; it's mainly useful for figuring out what hostile e-war stuff is doing, but I believe it can also be useful for aiming rb 04 in home-on-jam mode. I guess it could also be used to find surface-to-air radars but it would require them to be working on the same frequency band as the PS-37/A, I think?

If it has a record option, that indicates that it has a broadband receiver.

I mean it would not make much sense if you wanted to gather intel if you can only receive stuff from your own radars. Unless you want to detect Viggens landing at the next best McDonalds during excercise, driving through the drive in and taking back of with a "fresh" set of supplies. ;)

To some extent receiver frequency is going to be limited, but general radar frequencies of the time should be included to make it usefull I guess, since also Jammers will be operating in that spectrum.

But I dont know the specifics of the receiving part of the Radar, but it isnt neccessarily limited to the frequency of the emitter.

If the passive mode can be used like the a2g map and curser can be placed that would be faboulous. :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I may have spoken a bit too soon and too much (was on my phone and writing from memory). The flight manual doesn't have a great deal to say about the passive mode, it just says that in passive mode the antenna executes the wide sweep program as normal and "any radar jamming is presented on the head-down display".

g9eninD.png

Seems to me like it's only really useful for finding ECM sources targeted specifically at your radar.

I started a thread in the german section of this forum to spread the word of the mighty Viggen there as well and to gain new followers for the discipleship of the Viggen :D

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

I started a thread in the german section of this forum to spread the word of the mighty Viggen there as well and to gain new followers for the discipleship of the Viggen :D

Remember to explain them how you can reverse thrust mid air and go backwards :megalol::megalol:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Remember to explain them how you can reverse thrust mid air and go backwards :megalol::megalol:

I will wait with that until I have actually seen this :D

Tornado3 small.jpg

I may have spoken a bit too soon and too much (was on my phone and writing from memory). The flight manual doesn't have a great deal to say about the passive mode, it just says that in passive mode the antenna executes the wide sweep program as normal and "any radar jamming is presented on the head-down display".

g9eninD.png

Seems to me like it's only really useful for finding ECM sources targeted specifically at your radar.

Hmm yeah no ELS then, still would be probably possible to see radar on the same frequency as the jamming. So directional info, overfly, mark, throw a BK90.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]