DCS: AJS-37 Viggen Discussion

VEPR 12

Sorry if this has already been answered:

How do you engage the different AB zones? Is it just by moving the throttle (are there bumps for every zone?)?

At max mil. you have to push the throttle sideways, toward the side of the aircraft, and then forward slightly to engage the first AB stage. There is a detent for every stage, but you only have to move the throttle sideways for the first stage. After that it's only force.

EDIT: Found this video showing the whole thing.

At the 2m 45s mark.

Edited by MYSE1234
  • Like 1

Viggen is love. Viggen is life.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7-10700K @ 5GHz | RTX 2070 OC | 32GB 3200MHz RAM |

Yes, you only have to move the throttle.

At max mil. you have to push the throttle sideways, toward the side of the aircraft, and then forward slightly to engage the first AB stage. There is a detent for every stage, but you only have to move the throttle sideways for the first stage. After that it's only force.

EDIT: Found this video showing the whole thing.

At the 2m 45s mark.

*video*

Thanks, great answer! :thumbup:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

And also related to that Video.

Extra Points for anybody able to id the Viggen variant by looking at the cockpit.

Its not super difficult to guess right but you need some basic Viggen Knowledge.

Would be especially impressed if a non swede gets it right.

Edited by mattebubben

Extra Points for anybody able to id the Viggen variant by looking at the cockpit.

Its not super difficult to guess right but you need some basic Viggen Knowledge.

Its not an JA [has the wrong radar screen], it is not an AJ [projector for maverick image], its not an SF [missing the downward periscope in place of the radar screen.] so I would guess its an SH37 ?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

*unexpected flight behaviour* Oh shiii*** ! What ? Why ? What is happening ?

It's not the JA-37 :D

Edit: Damn, too slow...

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

The point Goes to Microvax.

Its a SH 37 (or a AJSH 37) the Ocean Recce variant.

Just as you did The easiest ways to narrow it down is to look at the Radar Screen as only the AJ and SH (The SK had a dummy screen but its easy to tell apart for other reasons) has that old round type of radar Screen.

The Second way and that lets you tell apart the AJ and SH is looking to the right of the hud again like you did is by looking for the VID.

If there is no VID (Maverick sight there) then its a SH 37 unless the picture is mid-early 1970s as the AJ 37 did not get the VID untill mid-late 70s when it got the AGM-65 capability.

And if that case you can ID the SH by the fact that in the area where the VID should be you instead have a Row of buttons.

This is an example of a SH 37 picture with the buttons very visible.

i282882364525599498._szw1280h1280_.jpg

But yea we have taught you guys well in the ways of the viggen ^^.

And soon my friends we will hopefully be able to put all that training into action.

Edited by mattebubben

Is that the thrust reverse lever just under the airspeed/mach indicator?

Yes, that is the thrust revers lever under the airspeed indicator.

Viggen is love. Viggen is life.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7-10700K @ 5GHz | RTX 2070 OC | 32GB 3200MHz RAM |

you all have corrupted me after nearly 300 pages of low flying Viggens, the first thing that came to mind watching the demo flight was, man that thing is flying kinda high...

The SwAFHF Viggen displays are quite tame compared to what we saw when it was in active service. Im guessing it has something to do with it being flown by a man that's close to 70 years old - as the Draken and the Tunnan are flown quite aggressively, and they are also "one of a kind". Hopefully they'll be able to check out some younger pilots on the Viggen when they get the two-seater in the air, and we'll have some nice and powerful Viggen demos again.

The SwAFHF Viggen displays are quite tame compared to what we saw when it was in active service. Im guessing it has something to do with it being flown by a man that's close to 70 years old - as the Draken and the Tunnan are flown quite aggressively, and they are also "one of a kind". Hopefully they'll be able to check out some younger pilots on the Viggen when they get the two-seater in the air, and we'll have some nice and powerful Viggen demos again.

Yea, they do fly it pretty carefully these days. Speaking of which I'm going to take the opportunity to repost my favorite Viggen air show clip again just because it's so awesome.

I mean, here we are: Rovaniemi in Finnish Lapland, of all god-forsaken places. I mean, it's not a tiny city and it does have a fairly big airport, but it's what I'd call a place "långt bortom all ära och redlighet" as Tove Jansson so nicely put it. The runway is literally on the arctic circle. Most display pilots wouldn't ever come within hundreds of kilometers of being this far north, let alone to this little bit of reindeer-infested taiga that's about as remote as you can get in the entire European Union while still having a commercial airport. And of course the weather's absolutely miserable: visibility's bad, cloud base is low and the rain is doing that kind of steady drizzling that just makes you feel like it's late in November regardless of what month it actually is. Even if this had been the Paris Air Show, I'm pretty sure most display pilots just wouldn't have bothered flying on a day like this.

And yet, just to spite everything in this world that hates fun, here comes the JA 37, lines up, fires up max zone 3 and goes to town. It's beautiful.

• Like 1

Yea, they do fly it pretty carefully these days. Speaking of which I'm going to take the opportunity to repost my favorite Viggen air show clip again just because it's so awesome.

I mean, here we are: Rovaniemi in Finnish Lapland, of all god-forsaken places. I mean, it's not a tiny city and it does have a fairly big airport, but it's what I'd call a place "långt bortom all ära och redlighet" as Tove Jansson so nicely put it. The runway is literally on the arctic circle. Most display pilots wouldn't ever come within hundreds of kilometers of being this far north, let alone to this little bit of reindeer-infested taiga that's about as remote as you can get in the entire European Union while still having a commercial airport. And of course the weather's absolutely miserable: visibility's bad, cloud base is low and the rain is doing that kind of steady drizzling that just makes you feel like it's late in November regardless of what month it actually is. Even if this had been the Paris Air Show, I'm pretty sure most display pilots just wouldn't have bothered flying on a day like this.

And yet, just to spite everything in this world that hates fun, here comes the JA 37, lines up, fires up max zone 3 and goes to town. It's beautiful.

Very beautiful. :)

And a nice demonstration of the -37's performance on slippery runways in miserable weather. ;)

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

That's epic, man! :)

I have seen my share of Viggen airshows, both as a civilian living close to F15 in Söderhamn, and as a conscript at the same airbase. Nothing like it! A true crowd-pleaser.

I remember, before airshow restrictions, how they used to start the Viggen show by having everybody look at a SAAB Safir SK50 slowly making its way towards show center...

Then.... WHAMMO!!! A Viggen, low level from behind the crowd. :D

As a conscript mechanic on the AJ37 I also got to see some tactical flying at the roadbases. There we were, filling and arming a Viggen, when all hell breaks loose and 3-4 other Viggens overfly the base in a coordinated attack.

Those were the days. The memories...

Waiting for the DCS:Viggen is tough!

Last weekend I saw the Viggen flying for the first time at a Belgian air show. What a beast! I enjoyed every second of that display. When Leatherneck releases this plane its gonna be an instant buy for me. :joystick:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

-- i7 4790K

-- Club 3D R9 290X Royal Ace SOC

-- Asus Maximus VII Ranger

-- G.Skill Trident X 16GB DDR3-2400 CL10

-- Gelid Tranquillo rev.2

-- Corsair RM850

-- Corsair 760T White

-- Windows 10

Two years he said...

^^

Fixed :smilewink:

i7 2600k -- Noctua NH-D14--Asrock Z75 Pro3--ASUS GTX970 Strix --16Go Ripjaws X 1333--Thermaltake Smart M650--CoolerMaster Silencio 652S--AOC E2752VQ-- Sandisk Extreme II 480GB--Saitek X-52 Pro --SAITEK PZ35 Pedals

My release date predictions: F14 not before late 2018. Viggen not before dec 2017

So, about the release dates.

My prediction:

F14 not before late 2018. Viggen not before december 2017.

They spent the last year saying things are just around the corner. And they won't release a plane without at least 4 months of preview stuff, like images and interviews. And they have not shown a single piece of the Viggen yet.