DCS: AJS-37 Viggen Discussion

VEPR 12

You know, Cobra, I had a really hard time recently making someone believe the Viggen is an actual thing that isn´t "years off" because of the lack of any hard evidence to support my claim.

I really made me feel like a conspiracy nut going

"No, really, it´s supposed to come out reaaaallly soon!"

"But there´s not even pictures."

"I know, but they talk about it like it´s almost done.",

"There isn´t even an official announcement, you sure they are working on it?"

"Yes...I am very sure they are working on it."

"But why haven´t they said anything then?"

"...to torture us because someone spoiled their suprise..."

Well yeah....hard to argue I guess. :)

-Nick

Should've set a safe-word before you jumped on Mr. Bones' Wild Ride!

I agree about the safe-word (my wife and I prefer the traditional pronunciation of "gnocchi" ;)).

But without the frame of reference (like screen shots/discussion/etc), it has felt more like "Mr Turtle's Continued Saunter..." :)

-Nick

Can we make a sticky thread with all of the Viggen declassified documents that are in this thread? I know I sound lazy but going through 200 pages every time is bit time consuming, and I forget to save it every time..

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

So how capable was the Viggen? I can't find a documentary on it. I had it in my military jet hooks and posters and diecast toys as a kid, but never knew much about it. I am w7 and grew up with a lot of these jets but don't know a lot.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

So how capable was the Viggen? I can't find a documentary on it. I had it in my military jet hooks and posters and diecast toys as a kid, but never knew much about it. I am w7 and grew up with a lot of these jets but don't know a lot.

That's a pretty generic question. For its role (attack/fighter depending on variant) and its time it is a pretty capable aircraft. I can recommend to look through this very thread for lots of information. Or is there anything specific you want to know? :)

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Viggen in general or the variant we are getting?

Is there anything specific you want to know about?

To start with we are getting the strike variant that entered service in the early 1970s (first flight in 1967 and first entered service 1971)

The Strike Variant (AJ 37) was produced between 1970-1978.

In the 90s it had a minor upgrade mainly in regards to weapons capabilities

(letting it use some later more advanced weapons as its Replacement the JAS 39 was not yet ready for service but some of the weapons developed for it were)

The AJ 37s that were upgraded were given the Designation AJS 37 (thats the variant we are getting.

Its Mach 2 capable at altitude and mach 1 at low altitude.

You will have a range of different weapons available

such as

Rocket pods (135mm rockets 6 to a pod)

Bombs (120kg bombs 4 to a pylon)

Guided Air-Ground weapons in the form of the AGM-65 Maverick

and the RB 05

(A weapon comparable to the AGM-12 bullpup and is steered manually using a small joystick in the cockpit)

You will have Two different type of Anti-Ship missiles

(the 1970s RB04E and the late 1980s RBS 15F)

Both with Active Radar Seekers and wave skimming BVR capability.

For Air Defense you will have Aim-9 Sidewinders

Both the older RB 24J (Aim-9J/P)

and the later RB 74 (Aim-9L)

You will have the BK 90 which is a gliding stand off submunition dispenser and is comparable to the AGM-154 Joint Standoff Weapon.

The Attack variant does not have an Internal Cannon but you have the ability to carry gunpods armed with the 30mm Aden cannon.

It also does not have any Internal jammers or Chaff / Flare dispensers but you have 2 different pods (one jammer pod and one Countermeasure pod) though a pod will take up a Weapons Pylon.

You have 7 Pylons (Centerline + 4x Wing pylons and 2x Cheek Pylons)

The Centerline is for the External Fuel Tank

(Irl it could also be used to transport RB04 Anti-Ship missiles but was not capable of launching them)

The outermost Wing pylons are dedicated for Air-Air missiles.

With the Inner wing pylons and the Cheek pylons being able to carry Air-Air or Air-Ground weapons.

Gunpods, Countermeassure / jamming pods or anti-ship missiles can only be used on the inner wing pylons and the RB 05 can only be carried on the Cheek Pylons.

All other weapons can be used on all 4 of the weapon pylons (Rockets,Bombs,Aim-9s,BK 90,AMG-65 etc)

The AJ/AJS 37 does have a radar and its mainly a Air-Ground radar (though it does have Air-Air Search / ranging abilities)

Its main Duties are to Search for and find enemy ships as well as terrain scan to allow all weather capability

(Standard Doctrine for the AJ/AJS 37 viggen is High speed flight at very low altitudes so a air-ground radar is a must for all weather/night operations)

The radar is capable of Ranging targets but you cant directly target something using the radar

(and its not capable of reliably picking up small land targets like tanks etc)

If there is anything you wonder about that i did not mention here feel free to ask.

Edited by mattebubben
  • Like 1

Thanks for the description. Explains a a lot. Kinda like an older version of the f15e.

Not quite. The F-15E is an air superiority fighter fitted for A-G operations but without giving up it's A-A capabilities. The Viggen on the otherhand is either a striker or an interceptor, depending on the Variant (AJ-37 or JA-37). Unlike the Strike Eagle the strike Viggen (AJ-37) lacks some important features of the interceptor variant like the A-A radar, BVR-missiles, datalink, a display and a more powerful engine. The interceptor Viggen on the other hand lacks the A-G radar, the maverick sight and is not capable of using all the A-G weapons of the strike viggen. And, unlike the F-15, the Viggen never was a superiority fighter. So it's more comparable to the Tornado, which also has mutually exclusive variants for strike and fighter/interceptor roles. Or mybe like the F-111A (attack) and F-111B (fighter) for the US.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

What kind of navigation system do we have in the AJS37, does it have INS and will it allow us to enter and change waypoints when already in the air?

It has a early "kind-of" INS that instead of accelerometers uses indicated airspeed (from the pitot) and the gyrocompass to determine the route traveled over the ground. It has drawbacks so the pilot is required to constantly monitor the system giving it updates of the airplanes known position, inputting the wind speed at height, setting correct altimeter setting etc. There are support-systems like a Doppler-system and a system that determines the planes position by using the radar altimeter and comparing it with a stored height-map. You can input new waypoints at any time using a keypad by the pilots right knee.

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

There will always be bugs. If everything is a priority nothing is.

It has a early "kind-of" INS that instead of accelerometers uses indicated airspeed (from the pitot) and the gyrocompass to determine the route traveled over the ground. It has drawbacks so the pilot is required to constantly monitor the system giving it updates of the airplanes known position, inputting the wind speed at height, setting correct altimeter setting etc. There are support-systems like a Doppler-system and a system that determines the planes position by using the radar altimeter and comparing it with a stored height-map. You can input new waypoints at any time using a keypad by the pilots right knee.

That sounds really interesting!

I don't know if it has already been answererd, but is all this modeled in the DCS Viggen? Especially drift?

Tornado3 small.jpg

I don't know if it has already been answererd, but is all this modeled in the DCS Viggen? Especially drift?

We now pretty much nothing about what is modeled and not since LNS won't give much info until they feel ready for release. :P I would assume they will model it if possible though. :-)

We now pretty much nothing about what is modeled and not since LNS won't give much info until they feel ready for release. :P I would assume they will model it if possible though. :-)

That's why I'm asking him ;)

Tornado3 small.jpg

How does the AJS-37 stack up against the F/A-18C in the attack role?

Both attack aircraft, both 1990's variants, but their initial conception is at least a decade apart.

Edited by hughlb

| Windows 10 | I7 4790K @ 4.4ghz | Asus PG348Q | Asus Strix 1080TI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400 DDR3 | Asrock Fatal1ty Z97 | Samsung EVO 850 500GB (x2) | SanDisk 240GB Extreme Pro | Coolermaster Vanguard S 650Watt 80+ | Fractal Design R4 | VirPil T-50 | MFG Crosswind Graphite | KW-908 JetSeat Sim Edition | TrackIR 5 |

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Both attack aircraft, both 1990's models, but their conception is at least a decade apart.

The F/A-18c is vastly more capable. :-) The AJS just got a few new weapons during the 90s and a different radar but the difference compared to the AJ is not that significant.

Both attack aircraft, both 1990's models, but their conception is at least a decade apart.

Not very well. It has no targeting pods, no PGM, no INS (well, sort of) or even GPS and very limited self defense capability.

Tornado3 small.jpg

Not very well. It has no targeting pods, no PGM, no INS or even GPS and very limited self defense capability.

I guessed it might be. Why did the AJS upgrade take place in light of superior aircraft like the Hornet? Was it a means of keeping the fleet going in the absence of a replacement airframe (Gripen)?

| Windows 10 | I7 4790K @ 4.4ghz | Asus PG348Q | Asus Strix 1080TI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400 DDR3 | Asrock Fatal1ty Z97 | Samsung EVO 850 500GB (x2) | SanDisk 240GB Extreme Pro | Coolermaster Vanguard S 650Watt 80+ | Fractal Design R4 | VirPil T-50 | MFG Crosswind Graphite | KW-908 JetSeat Sim Edition | TrackIR 5 |

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I guessed it might be. Why did the AJS upgrade take place in light of superior aircraft like the Hornet? Was it a means of keeping the fleet going in the absence of a replacement airframe (Gripen)?

Exactly, it was upgraded to carry weapons designed for the Gripen. (Bk-90 and Rb-15)

We (Swedes) don't normally buy foreign fighters, we have done but it's more of an exception than a rule.

Exactly, it was upgraded to carry weapons designed for the Gripen. (Bk-90 and Rb-15)

Ah I see. So it was a compromised but necessary choice. What advantages does it have, generally, as an attack aircraft in a mid-90's battlespace?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]