DCS: AJS-37 Viggen Discussion

VEPR 12

Mostly, yes.

There are a few other issues as well-- but ensuring our new ground radar is visually accurate and performs well is one of our current priorities.

The aircraft is actually pretty much feature complete and the remaining graphical work is progressing well; but no new ETA just yet.

Hopefully more detail in the upcoming March update.

Stay strong! :)

Looking forward to the March update =).

can we Expect the March Update in late April or early may?

:D

Wow, it must suck to be waiting on someone else to catch up when the module is otherwise more or less done. :P

Not sure what you're referring to.

Our ground radar is our own and it not being complete is on us. :)

This means so much to me. :bounce:

This is what keeps me going, and excited for the future.

Frisco1522

Looking forward to the March update =).

can we Expect the March Update in late April or early may?

:D

I may have spawned some confusion; no planned full announcement for the planned update. :P

This particular one will be mostly F-14 centric. :)

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Mostly, yes.

There are a few other issues as well-- but ensuring our new ground radar is visually accurate and performs well is one of our current priorities.

The aircraft is actually pretty much feature complete and the remaining graphical work is progressing well; but no new ETA just yet.

Stay strong! :)

If only your communication with us was as great as your modules ! :)

Can anybody confirm or disconfirm that the AJS-37 Viggen we are getting has an MFD? Since I've heard we are getting a 199- variant and MFD were very common in the 90s on modern aircraft. Would it look something like this?

DSC0236.jpg

or something more like this?

800px-Viggen_2008-03-01-35.jpg

Just for your information, the first picture in my humble opinion is from a cockpit used with X-Plane's Viggen, I remember to see a video with it. Also you can look at the MFD's and see the X-Plane icons.

Can't find the website though...

The simulator:

hqdefault.jpg

The real one:

JA37D-cockpit.jpg

Edited by Focha

ASUS N552VX | i7-6700HQ @ 2.59GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | NVIDIA GF GTX 950M 4 Gb | 250 Gb SSD | 1 Tb HD SATA II Backup | TIR4 | Microsoft S. FF 2+X52 Throttle+Saitek Pedals | Win 10 64 bits

I may have spawned some confusion; no planned full announcement for the planned update. :P

This particular one will be mostly F-14 centric. :)

Oh no, ANY news you give us makes me happy. Even the little ones like insights to the inner workings at LN are awesome reads! (Maybe its just me? :P)

And being F-14 centric is pretty awesome too! :thumbup:

Frisco1522

Just for your information, the first picture in my humble opinion is from a cockpit used with X-Plane's Viggen, I remember to see a video with it. Also you can look at the MFD's and see the X-Plane icons.

The simulator:

hqdefault.jpg

The real one:

That looks like a draken cockpit to me.

That looks like a draken cockpit to me.

And you are probably right.

ASUS N552VX | i7-6700HQ @ 2.59GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | NVIDIA GF GTX 950M 4 Gb | 250 Gb SSD | 1 Tb HD SATA II Backup | TIR4 | Microsoft S. FF 2+X52 Throttle+Saitek Pedals | Win 10 64 bits

If only your communication with us was as great as your modules ! :)

Currently focus is on development and building an excellent product.

I'm sure there will be much more to talk about once we announce & release.

The AJS-37 has no MFDs.

It has a radar scope in the centre of the main panel and a VID display on the top right of the glareshield for AGM-65s.

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

The simulator:

hqdefault.jpg

The real one:

JA37D-cockpit.jpg

That Cockpit is of a Later JA 37 variant.

The JA 37D (a Upgrade program done in 1997 to a number of JA 37s

that included the abillity to carry the Aim-120)

It had an upgraded cockpit with the same kind of MFD that was used in the JAS 39 Gripen.

But the Standard JA 37 cockpit is the one shown in his first picture.

And also since X-Planes use the JA 37D variant they dont have those displays but the one with the later MFD (like the one you linked).

And also the picture of the simulator was indeed a J35 Draken.

Of the 149 JA 37 (fighter viggens) less then 40 where upgraded (with the new cockpit with the MFDs)

But still Pictures of the updated cockpit is more common due to the fact that most of the cockpits used as simulators aswell as those on museums that one is able to look into etc are from those last aircraft as the earlier ones (that left service first) were dismantled etc.

But yea this is the Original JA 37 cockpit.

IAFrules.jpg

And this is the Upgraded cockpit of the JA 37D

JA37D-cockpit.jpg

And this is the cockpit for the AJ/AJS 37 (Attack/Antiship variant that we are getting)

2276741.jpg

This is the SF 37 (Camera Nose Recce variant) Cockpit

800px-Viggen_2008-03-01-35.jpg

This is the SH 37 (Radar+Camera pod Ocean Recce/Anti-Ship Variant) Cockpit

1559362.jpg

And Finally this is the SK 37 (2 Seat Trainer Variant) Front cockpit

(Panoramic 360°)

http://www.museeairespace.fr/aller-plus-haut/panoramas-360/360-cabines-de-pilotage/panorama-360-saab-sk-37e-viggen/

Edited by mattebubben

Is there any opportunity to briefly discuss the Theaters in the March update? A few small details on the Tomcat (like the location ;)) or Viggen theater would be greatly appreciated. :)

I'm looking forward to the March update. :thumbup:

-Nick

Here is a nice Video of AJS 37s flying in preparation for a Display.

No music so you have the lovely sound of the RM8 engine =).

Its From 1996 with AJS 37s from F7 and F15 Wings.

[ame]

[/ame]

It shows off some nice manuvering from the AJS 37.

Do you think it's possible to release it before q1 end?

Sounds to me like he doesn't know because it's more or less just up to ED finishing the Air to ground radar. :-)

Edit: I take back this statement since apparently I'm as wrong as can be on this point! :D

Edited by RaXha

Sounds to me like he doesn't know because it's more or less just up to ED finishing the Air to ground radar. :-)

Two pages ago, Cobra847 wrote this comment and it was specifically directed at you RaXha. Seems like you must have missed it :)

Not sure what you're referring to.

Our ground radar is our own and it not being complete is on us. smile.gif

Two pages ago, Cobra847 wrote this comment and it was specifically directed at you RaXha. Seems like you must have missed it :)

Huh, to many replies in this thread! I can't keep up! Thanks for pointing that out hehe! :P

I got four weapon questions for you Cobra and would really appreciate an answer and maybe someone else can answer as well :)

First of all how does the Rb-05 work in DCS(if its completed ofc)? I mean will you be able to guide it with 4 inputs like left-right, up-down and will you be able to use an joystick or something like that?

How effective are the 30mm gun pods in the game. Maybe someone with just knowledge from the IRL thing can answer this but is it just made for anti lightly armed vehicles(trucks/cars), helis, planes or can it also be used as anti medium armored vehicles such as a BMP/BTR?

AFAIK the unguided rocket pods can have different warheads such as HE or AP. Is this modeled ingame?

Last question, can the pilot use any night vision goggles and able to drop some kind of "flare" bomb to illuminate the ground?

Thanks

I got four weapon questions for you Cobra and would really appreciate an answer and maybe someone else can answer as well :)

First of all how does the Rb-05 work in DCS(if its completed ofc)? I mean will you be able to guide it with 4 inputs like left-right, up-down and will you be able to use an joystick or something like that?

How effective are the 30mm gun pods in the game. Maybe someone with just knowledge from the IRL thing can answer this but is it just made for anti lightly armed vehicles(trucks/cars), helis, planes or can it also be used as anti medium armored vehicles such as a BMP/BTR?

AFAIK the unguided rocket pods can have different warheads such as HE or AP. Is this modeled ingame?

Last question, can the pilot use any night vision goggles and able to drop some kind of "flare" bomb to illuminate the ground?

Thanks

About the Gunpods.

The Gunpods carry the Aden 30mm cannon.

it fires a 30×113mm caliber Nato Standard projectile.

And as such is weaker then the 30mm of the Su-27/Mig-29 Etc.

Its the Same round as used in the DEFA 30mm and the M230 Chaingun.

The Mirage 2000 has the DEFA 30mm so its the only airplane ingame currently with that round.

(The M230 is 30mm used in the Apache so that will give you some idea over its capabilities)

It should be more then enough against lightely armored vehicles (BMP/BTR)

Its to weak to be reliable against anything larger then that but its possible it can hurt older tanks like T-55s if you fire at a steep enough angle at the right parts.

And basicly the main reason for the Aden gun being used for the Viggens gunpods is we already had large numbers of them in stock (hundreds) taken from Retired aircraft that carried them (The J32 and J34 (Hawker hunter)

Both carried 4 of them in each aircraft.

We had over 120 Hawker hunters and and 118 J32s and they were all retired between the late 60s and early 70s.

So There were plenty of 30mm Adens and ammo for them around.

And the round was still more then good enough for the duties it was needed for.

And since the 30mm is both larger and its fired at a higher velocity its more powerful then the 23mm on the mig-21 for sure.

So anything you can kill with the mig-21 gun should be easy.

And yes the Viggen did have Illumination bombs.

And I dont think any Night vision equipment was ever used on the viggen (even for the AJS 37)

Edited by mattebubben

You can either use a "mutator" -- e.g: press your hat switch and then your joystick controls the missile rather than your aircraft.

Alternatively you just use your arrow keys or whatever else works.

You can easily observe the location of the RB-05 due to it's large flare.

They're pretty good for lightly armored vehicles and small ships.

Yep.

Thanks

The appropriate flarebomb is included.

No NV planned.

• Like 2

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

You can either use a "mutator" -- e.g: press your hat switch and then your joystick controls the missile rather than your aircraft.

Alternatively you just use your arrow keys or whatever else works.

You can easily observe the location of the RB-05 due to it's large flare.

They're pretty good for lightly armored vehicles and small ships.

Yep.

The appropriate flarebomb is included.

No NV planned.

And also just to double check about the rocket pods.

You can only fire the rockets all at ones yes? (instead of in small salvos)

and its not possible to fire just 1 or 2 pods at a time (instead of all 4 if carrying a full rocket loadout)

Thats what ive heard anyway =P

Can you confirm if its all rockets carried at ones or if its possible to change it.

Either by a salvo mode or by fiering 1 or 2 rockets pods at a time instead of all of them.

My understanding is that it has no Salvo mode but is it possible to just select the inboard or outboard pylons for a salvo (since that would double the amount of targets you could engage)

And also about the RB 05.

Are there any HUD aids when it comes to using it?.

(other then Release cue)

Edited by mattebubben

And also just to double check about the rocket pods.

You can only fire the rockets all at ones yes? (instead of in small salvos)

and its not possible to fire just 1 or 2 pods at a time (instead of all 4 if carrying a full rocket loadout)

Thats what ive heard anyway =P

Can you confirm if its all rockets carried at ones or if its possible to change it.

Either by a salvo mode or by fiering 1 or 2 rockets pods at a time instead of all of them.

My understanding is that it has no Salvo mode but is it possible to just select the inboard or outboard pylons for a salvo (since that would double the amount of targets you could engage)

This is one of the very few times i actually think that gameplay should go over realism, short salvo mode for the rocket pods would be very useful in DCS while full salvo mode is likely to make me choose other options for the air to ground role as wasting 2 full pods on a single target (10-12? rockets) when most targets would require 1/3rd of that. DCS is all about sniping due to well fragmentation not being amazingly represented.

That is just my opinion however, i can totally see why people want the purist way too.

Edited by Skjold

This is one of the very few times i actually think that gameplay should go over realism, short salvo mode for the rocket pods would be very useful in DCS while full salvo mode is likely to make me choose other options for the air to ground role as wasting 2 full pods on a single target (10-12? rockets) when most targets would require 1/3rd of that. DCS is all about sniping due to well fragmentation not being amazingly represented.

That is just my opinion however, i can totally see why people want the purist way too.

And if the pods were not able to fire just 1 or 2 rockets at a time then maby it would atleast be possible to just fire 1 pod at a time.

Since that would give you 2-4 salvos depending on your loadout.

And even though the Swedish Air-Ground Doctrine was centered around One Pass and Haul ass missions i dont see salvo firing being a problem to that.

Since 2-4 rocket salvos can be launched in seconds in a single pass its just that you have a higher chance of hitting multiple targets since you can quickly adjust targeting between the salvos.

Edited by mattebubben

Putting myself in the purist section for this module I prefer to have options open in games for all kinds of What-if scenarios - purist level comes from mission building, not what Tools we have in the toolbox.

Way too often "realism-fanatics" demand that there should be no what-if's possible, I just can't understand how they Think (there's a few examples in the F-14 section and way too many in ArmA where I do most of my addon and mission creations).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]