DCS: AJS-37 Viggen Discussion

VEPR 12

The autopilot (SA 06, where SA stands for "styrautomat") is capable of two modes:

- Attitude hold/course hold: press the button ATT to activate. If pitch angle is <60° and bank angle is >7° and <66°, maintains both as they are. If bank angle is <7°, the aircraft instead enters course hold mode and maintains current course at neutral bank. While in this mode, autopilot controlled turns can be commanded by using the trim button on the stick. The bank angle used by the autopilot depends on airspeed and ranges from 10° at 200 km/h IAS to 45° at 800 km/h IAS.

You can still control the aircraft in both pitch and roll axis while attitude hold/course hold is active, you just need to use some physical force to get the stick to move. If you do this and stay within the limits above, the aircraft will hold your new attitude when you let go of the stick. If you exceed the limits the autopilot will disconnect and enter a passive mode where it'll automatically reactivate once you get back within the limits.

- Altitude hold: press button HÖJD to activate. Works exactly like the previous mode but the aircraft will also maintain current barometric altitude. Adjusting the altitude is done with the trim button on the stick.

If you activate autothrottle with the landing gear in, it'll try to maintain 550 km/h IAS. You can't adjust that. It's really only intended for landing.

tl;dr: if you activate the autopilot in a reasonable situation and let go of the stick, the plane will keep doing what it's doing. If you move the stick and enter some new reasonable situation that you like better, the plane will keep doing that instead. Quite reasonable, I think. It can't follow waypoint routes for you, though.

Thanks. But what avout the "SPAK" indicator/button - isn't there a third mode?

Thanks. But what avout the "SPAK" indicator/button - isn't there a third mode?

SPAK (dämpning/spakkraftstyrning) is just oscillation dampening (in all three axes), artificial stick forces and a bit of stabilization in the transonic area. It's normally always on. It's a thing the autopilot does but I don't think it counts as a "real" autopilot mode.

SPAK (dämpning/spakkraftstyrning) is just oscillation dampening (in all three axes), artificial stick forces and a bit of stabilization in the transonic area. It's normally always on. It's a thing the autopilot does but I don't think it counts as a "real" autopilot mode.

Thanks for the explanations of the SA system! It was really bugging me not understanding what SPAK did, and it's great to know what the logic of the other modes is.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks for the explanations of the SA system! It was really bugging me not understanding what SPAK did, and it's great to know what the logic of the other modes is.

"SPAK" is actually the swedish term for joystick or lever. :joystick:

That's a beautiful video. I have to admit Ive not even heard of the Viggen until the speculation started to go around here on these boards, but why some people consider that plane ugly is truly beyond me. I think it looks and flies beautifully...

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

That's a beautiful video. I have to admit Ive not even heard of the Viggen until the speculation started to go around here on these boards, but why some people consider that plane ugly is truly beyond me. I think it looks and flies beautifully...

The Viggen was my preferred aircraft since childhood when it comes to looks and beauty of design. Even a year ago I was begging Leatherneck for such a gift, because commercially I only see it possible on DCS. I'm sure there's no way I could be dissapointed.

Win 8.1, I7 4770K 4.5ghz watercooled, 240gb SSD in Raid 0, 16GB DDR3-2400, EVGA GTX780 watercooled, LG 29EA73-P (2560x1080)

Cobra M5 *modded by BRD*, CH Pro Throttle, Pro Combat Pedals, TrackIR5 Pro + Delanclip, Bose QC 15, TM Cougar MFD's

300/30 mbps

Anyone (renhanxue?) that can elaborate about the following indicators?

* Destinationsindikator (red) - What kind of destination?

* Avståndsindikator (yellow) - Distance to what? Target (specific weapon?) or navigation?

IIRC the "destinationsindikator" displays current waypoint/target point name: ex "B4" for "brytpunkt"/waypoint 4, and the "avståndsindikator" displays distance to selected waypoint.

Are you sure about the white lights?

I thought it would display stages as 1, 2, 3, where 3 is full afterburner.

ASUS Z370, i7 8086K @ 5,2 Ghz, ASUS Strix GTX 1080, 16GB Ram, TM HOTAS Warthog, TrackIR 5, Saitek combat rudders, 25" 1440p monitor, Oculus Rift

Dogfight?

Beautiful pictures of a beautiful aircraft, but Dogfight is an overstatement. All I see in that vid is 10 sec of poorly performed defensive ACM. When this swedish tiger is released, I´l give you some Dogfightvids to watch. :-)

Cant wait!

Cheers!

/Jaws

Edited by JawsMa

Beautiful pictures of a beautiful aircraft, but Dogfight is an overstatement. All I see in that vid is 10 sec of porly performed defensive ACM. When this swedish tiger is released, I´l give you some Dogfightvids to watch. :-)

Cant wait!

Cheers!

/Jaws

This clip is from a Swedish movie, and I think the there's a link to the original clip somewhere here (or in the speculation thread), including the bird strike and preparations for the emergency landing.

I've seen some guys here saying that the Viggen will be out before the F-14

Is there any source on that?

Cobra has mentioned in the past that the two unannounced aircraft that they have in development were further along in development than the F-14 is, and that they would be released by the end of the year. The last part is probably no longer true though since the announcement of the modules was planned a few months ago and Cobra being sick for a long period of time among other things has pushed it back a bit. But if they are to be believed they are a lot closer to release than the F-14. :-) :pilotfly:

Yes thats the way I understand it too. Both aircraft will be available before the F14.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Anyone (renhanxue?) that can elaborate about the following indicators?

Here's a blogg (in Swedish) by an retired Viggen pilot, were he explains some navigation: http://chefsingenjoren.blogspot.se/2011/01/en-talig-tant.html

And his general experiences about Viggen:http://chefsingenjoren.blogspot.se/2011/02/i-kanten-av-envelopen.html :)

i7 8700k@4.7, 1080ti, DDR4 32GB, 2x SSD , HD 2TB, W10, ASUS 27", TrackIr5, TMWH, X-56, GProR.

Here's a blogg (in Swedish) by an retired Viggen pilot, were he explains some navigation: http://chefsingenjoren.blogspot.se/2011/01/en-talig-tant.html

And his general experiences about Viggen:http://chefsingenjoren.blogspot.se/2011/02/i-kanten-av-envelopen.html :)

I'm having a slow day at work so i'm going to go ahead and try to translate that for you non Swedish speakers. :-)

The SAAB is awesome aircraft! I'll buy it for sure! but that's me. I hope to see a future in DCS for this aircraft

My system specification

i7 13700KF/ Z690 Aorus Elite/ 32GB/ Galax 4080/ ViewSonic Elite XG320Q 32/ Next level racing - Sim cockpit - Boeing editing / 3x MFD's, Trackir 5/ TPR/ Orion2 F/A-18 Throttle/VPC WarBRD Base/ Hornet grip/F-16 grip/ HP Reverb G2

:thumbup:

I just love this story from the blogg previously linked to:

For the Viggen we had permission to fly as low as 30 meter over land and 20 meter over sea. Previously it was 20m and 10m, but after an incident where a pilot cut the phone wires between two islands (at 8 meters height) and forced to land with some hundred meters of wire hanging from the fuel tank, it was raised to the new levels.

I just love this story from the blogg previously linked to:

For the Viggen we had permission to fly as low as 30 meter over land and 20 meter over sea. Previously it was 20m and 10m, but after an incident where a pilot cut the phone wires between two islands (at 8 meters height) and forced to land with some hundred meters of wire hanging from the fuel tank, it was raised to the new levels.

Wow, just wow

Thanks for the translation.

And lo, Reverend Vegas did say "Take forth unto the infidel the mighty GAU 8 and expend its holy 30MM so that freedom will be brung upon them who knoweth not the joys of BBBBBBBRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTT"

"Amen"

There was also another story about an old lady calling the local air force commander when a couple of Viggens blew off the roof tiles at her little cabin. Not complaining, just stating the fact.

Back in the days the Swedish people had a very positive attitude to the armed forces and the defense of the country. Today unfortunately people have started to question why we should have any armed forces what so ever... and complaining about inconvenience and being disturbed as soon as they see a green vehicle or a person in uniform...

• Like 1