Multiplayer newbie - some questions

j.sabo12

Hi everyone,

I think that the time has come for me to join multiplayer. I've been on singleplayer since the days of LOMAC, and I'm looking for something a little extra.

In FS I'm active on IVAO, so I know the general 'Be polite, follow RT procedures, fly well, and don't be an idiot' rules.

But in DCS there are some big differences, at least for me.

IVAO is one big server, where everyone joins and is expected to follow strict procedures. But in DCS there are at least a good twenty if not more active games at one time. Which one would be good to join first? Don't want to crash into somebody's party.

Is teamspeak needed on all servers?

On IVAO, it's obvious 99% of the time, everybody flies their plane from their chosen A to their chosen B. But obviously on DCS there are many more options. Is there a more detailed mission description somewhere?

How strict are the Radio procedures? Can somebody be a ground station, say KLSV_TWR, for example?

Is it difficult to get into a squadron?

That's all that's come to my mind so far, thank you for anyone that takes their time with answering my questions :) And please add anything else that's important :)

Boeing 737 NG instructor at Simulator Centrum in Bratislava, Slovakia

I see it's taken a couple of days for guys to answer this one so I'll weigh in here.

It's really going to depend on the server... many of the serious ones have threads in this section so if you see them in the server list and take a quick look in here you'll be able to see right off the bat how seriously things are taken. I've seen everything from rigid following of protocols from resident experts and I've seen guys respecting the flight ethics you described above and just playing it to the extent of their experience. Trying to be courteous... trying to be mindful of an active runway... getting to the target and calling out shots etc...

There has been a module out for a little over a year that allows for an ATC but to be quite honest I haven't ever used it and never experienced it. No idea where that's at now.

Squadrons have their individual processes- again some have commitment requirements and high expectations while others are literally just a bunch of dudes who like to fly together. TS3 isn't mandatory but needless to say it is very highly recommended. Each squadron would have its own channel- password protected or not... it really depends.

So don't think that the DCS culture is restricted to one style of play... but it will take some time before you feel out the group of guys you want to hang out with- who also want to hang out with you.

As for mission descriptions / briefings... you join up... generally select a position and then the briefing screen comes up with as much detail as the designer has put into it. I did a pretty lengthy write up quite some time ago that I suspect still applies. I'll see if I can find it... (Found it: http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2006687&postcount=3 )

Good luck out there.

Edited by ENO
  • Like 1

"ENO"

Type in anger and you will make the greatest post you will ever regret.

"Sweetest's" Military Aviation Art

Like ENO said read the server briefing; some are very well detailed and others are pretty lax.

Another thing to look at is the amount of people in the servers while viewing the list of active servers. The more pilots, the more chance for interaction.

I always appreciate a courteous pilot and try to reciprocate the same. Sometimes you'll see players take off from taxi-ways or other airfield violations but that rarely happens. More frequently players takeoff/land in the opposite runway than what ATC cleared as active. Not sure if that is ignorance of laziness to sometimes avoid the long taxi.

Also remember that ATC is AI. Sometimes you're asked to hold for no reason, or no response for clearance requests..common since typically applies.

You'll just have to get on, see what the culture is like and try to make some connections. The community is great; in-game and here on the forums. Never be afraid to reach out.

Cheers!

[sIGPIC]http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn266/JINX1391/jinx%20f99th%20sig_zps2hgu4xsl.png[/sIGPIC]

"90% of the people who actually got to fly the F/A-18C

module there (E3 2017) have never even heard of DCS

or are otherwise totally undeserving pieces of trash."

-Pyromanic4002

Like ENO said read the server briefing; some are very well detailed and others are pretty lax.

Another thing to look at is the amount of people in the servers while viewing the list of active servers. The more pilots, the more chance for interaction.

I always appreciate a courteous pilot and try to reciprocate the same. Sometimes you'll see players take off from taxi-ways or other airfield violations but that rarely happens. More frequently players takeoff/land in the opposite runway than what ATC cleared as active. Not sure if that is ignorance of laziness to sometimes avoid the long taxi.

Also remember that ATC is AI. Sometimes you're asked to hold for no reason, or no response for clearance requests..common since typically applies.

That sums up pretty well DCS multiplayer haha !

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi everyone,

IVAO is one big server, where everyone joins and is expected to follow strict procedures. But in DCS there are at least a good twenty if not more active games at one time. Which one would be good to join first? Don't want to crash into somebody's party.

Is teamspeak needed on all servers?

On IVAO, it's obvious 99% of the time, everybody flies their plane from their chosen A to their chosen B. But obviously on DCS there are many more options. Is there a more detailed mission description somewhere?

How strict are the Radio procedures? Can somebody be a ground station, say KLSV_TWR, for example?

Is it difficult to get into a squadron?

That's all that's come to my mind so far, thank you for anyone that takes their time with answering my questions :) And please add anything else that's important :)

Join anyone that you feel like! preferibly one with players. You wont crash anyone's party as most Private Rooms have passwords. Although some servers have passwords that make you go onto their website(safe) and register so they keep idiots out.

No,TeamSpeak is not needed. It is nice to have (only if you all speak the same language)

Yes! there is almost 99.9% of the time a Mission Briefing that explains, Who does what, Who goes there and who Doesnt do that and Doesnt go there. Example, Being a Uh-1Huey thats a 'Transport' for the transport missions doesnt mean I cant put door gunners on it and cant fly CAS.

Ground Procedures I would have to say its Entirely VFR (Visual Flight Rules) See, and Be seen (lights on Look both ways before taking off ect)The ATC sometimes is buggy and kind of breaks the mood, Just last night ATC had me land where a Guy was waiting to take off.

Yes it is quite difficult to get into a Squadron as everyone has different play times/play moods.

And my closing comments are this,If you dont know something in game. Or dont understand something. ASK. some of us are grumpy but not all of us are and will help you happily. Alot of people will pretend to be no-it-all's but the day the F/A-18 comes out. We are all in the same clueless boat. Have fun, and Happy flying! :pilotfly:

Try joining the 'Free Flight' server. Has every aircraft in the game,and it has a ton of ground targets/Scenarios going on and Its a fun server.