Nvidia G-Sync

Terry

GSync is a GPU -> Monitor Synchronization Achieved by Changing the Monitor's refresh Rate to match the Frame Rate of the GPU to eliminate Tearing and Stutters,

However it's not a perfect technology and still has limits.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill,

X470 Taichi Ultimate, 2x R7970 Lightnings Crossfired @ 1.1/6.0GHz,

3x ASUS VS248HP + Hanns·G HZ201HPB + Oculus HMD,

Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs, CH Fighterstick+Pro Throttle+Pro Pedals

GSync is a GPU -> Monitor Synchronization Achieved by Changing the Monitor's refresh Rate to match the Frame Rate of the GPU to eliminate Tearing and Stutters,

However it's not a perfect technology and still has limits.

Ok I am a little confused and maybe someone can help me understand.

I thought for GSync one had to have a specific GSync monitor.

I have an Asus 27" 144 hz monitor, that was not a specific GSync monitor when I bought it, those were priced much higher at the time.

However I see in Nvidia control panel, specifically in NVidia Inspector, I have GSync options listed. It shows GSync Global Feature = ON ( fullscreen only).

So am I running some sort of GSync on this monitor or not?

Don B

My VKB Gunfighter MK III Pro L Review

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.2 GHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3200 MHz CL14 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |VKB GF MK III Pro L Ultimate Grip| Virpil CM3 Throttle |Reverb G2 | Valve Index| Vive Pro 2 |

first of all if you have a Gsync monitor , the first thing once you start windows a pop msg will comes up in the tray icon informing you that you are running a G sync capable monitor this msg will only last for a few seconds.

If you turn the Gsync option in the Nivida control panel and you dont have a Gsync monitor it wouldn't do anything .

I have the Asus 27" rog 144 Hz Gsync . In order to know if the G sync is on or not the small light at the on/off button should light up red color , If the G sync is disabled it will light up white . thats what the manual says.

Ok thanks for the info, I am sure I do not have GSync monitor so I assume that setting that is showing is just ignored.

Don B

My VKB Gunfighter MK III Pro L Review

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.2 GHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3200 MHz CL14 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |VKB GF MK III Pro L Ultimate Grip| Virpil CM3 Throttle |Reverb G2 | Valve Index| Vive Pro 2 |

Trust me, if you did, there'd be nVidia GSync stickers all over it.. You'd know, lol.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill,

X470 Taichi Ultimate, 2x R7970 Lightnings Crossfired @ 1.1/6.0GHz,

3x ASUS VS248HP + Hanns·G HZ201HPB + Oculus HMD,

Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs, CH Fighterstick+Pro Throttle+Pro Pedals

When it's working perfectly at high framerate gsync looks incredible.

Like in Doom with the latest Vulkan patch it's just unbelievably smooth. Any dreams of it smoothing out low frame rates and making them more tolerable should pretty much be forgotten, it still sucks when the game is slower than 60 fps. Especially with trackir.

I have a maxwell series titan x though and DCS still drops frames pretty bad on high making gsync of no real use. Turning mirrors off helps smooth it out quite a bit though.

My monitor is the ROG PG278Q, which has gsync of course and I would highly recommend. 1440p is a nice balance between looking better and not being as demanding as 4k. But the 34 inch ultra wides definitely have my attention. Specifically the Asus one. It's just they cost 1700 dollars here.

Edited by FeistyLemur

• 2 weeks later...
When it's working perfectly at high framerate gsync looks incredible.

Like in Doom with the latest Vulkan patch it's just unbelievably smooth. Any dreams of it smoothing out low frame rates and making them more tolerable should pretty much be forgotten, it still sucks when the game is slower than 60 fps. Especially with trackir.

I have a maxwell series titan x though and DCS still drops frames pretty bad on high making gsync of no real use. Turning mirrors off helps smooth it out quite a bit though.

My monitor is the ROG PG278Q, which has gsync of course and I would highly recommend. 1440p is a nice balance between looking better and not being as demanding as 4k. But the 34 inch ultra wides definitely have my attention. Specifically the Asus one. It's just they cost 1700 dollars here.

TBH, I have the same monitor and as good as it is, it's got 1 mayor drawback and that is the Dynamic Sync Range inside which Gsync works, only ! Below the 50Hz lower threshold value the PG278Q does not have Gsync engaged, despite the red light being ON ( dyn. range 50-144Hz ).

It's stated somewhere in the manual/techdata and on some website's review.

Always try to stay above 50 fps and enjoy Gsync :)

I have read reviews of Gsync monitors with as low as 30Hz lower threshold, that is awesome !

But Gsync really shines at high FPS, DCS is maybe not the best Sim to show the elegance of Gsync.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL16 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 3x 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@4x180mm fans - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Win11 Pro - Phanteks Evolv-X