How to force updater into torrent mode?

JorgeIII

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What, exactly was the time frame they 'promised' you?

For those that pre-purchase prior to October 1st, 2015, you will receive a 20% discount and two free Red Flag campaigns (one for the F-15C and one for the A-10C). For those that pre-purchase between October 1st and the Open Alpha release in late November, you will receive a 20% discount and one free Red Flag campaign. Both of these options also include a 20% bonus savings on future purchases at full price.

By the strict definition of the term, releasing late in the day on November 30th is "late November". But when your infrastructure can't scale to meet demand and your customers can't actually download the files in question, the fact that you barely met the deadline isn't saying much.

Look, I don't know what kind of server infrastructure ED has, but infrastructure as a service is very easy to rent and get put into operation. If they already get their infrastructure through a cloud provider, it would literally be as simple as purchasing more capacity hours. If they don't, it would be a several hour job at most to scale up capacity to meet demand through some virtual server rentals.

By the strict definition of the term, releasing late in the day on November 30th is "late November". But when your infrastructure can't scale to meet demand and your customers can't actually download the files in question, the fact that you barely met the deadline isn't saying much.

Tom-Hanks-Saying-Really.gif

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

Awjudge

You really seem to love stirring the pot. There is absolutely no way that it should take 14 hours to download less than 2 gb. It is 2015 not 1988. ED has definately screwed up this roll out. We have not heard from them in since Coff little message 9 hours ago.

System:Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z390-E,Asus ROG GeForce RTX 2080Ti OC, GPU, 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 Ram, Intel i9 9900K @ 5 GHz , cooled by NZXT Kraken X52, Acer XB270HU G-Sinc monitor, Windows 10 Pro, Warthog joystick and throttle with wasy extension, VBK Gunfighter Pro and MCG Pro,MFG Rudder, running on a dedicated 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M2 Nvme , Super Wheel Stand Pro, with a HP Reverb G2

Tom-Hanks-Saying-Really.gif

I don't even care that much about the promised release date to be honest. It's the 30KB/s download speeds of a 27GB file that have me upset. It's a simple problem with a simple solution, but ED doesn't want to pony up the cash to scale up their infrastructure for the next 48 hours. If they aren't willing to pay what it takes to get their product to their customers, then it makes me less willing to pay what it takes to get one of their products.

Awjudge

You really seem to love stirring the pot. There is absolutely no way that it should take 14 hours to download less than 2 gb. It is 2015 not 1988. ED has definately screwed up this roll out. We have not heard from them in since Coff little message 9 hours ago.

For a non-alpha product, I would absolutely agree.

And for what it's worth, I'm not trying to stir the pot. I'm just trying to put some perspective on the situation. The DCS updater is a new piece of technology (with the torrent functionality). It's all part of the Alpha process. I fully understand the frustration of not being able to play with your toys at Christmas, but ED haven't failed deliver on a promise here.

Edited by awjudge

I love how anyone having problems is nothing other than wrong, this is a mess and people are still defending them.. They aren't a family member, they are a business selling a product. I could sit here and list a whole bunch of open/closed alphas among different devs and every one did a better job..

Maximus VI Hero

780Ti 2-way SLI

16GB 2X8GB 1866mhz G.Skill Ripjaws Z

Samsung 850 Pro SSDs

3 Benq XL2720Z monitors in surround

TrackIR 5

Windows 10 Pro

HOTAS Warthog

Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals

The list goes on..

Yup aw judge you are the man, you have no idea what you are talking about....the code for DCS2 is Alfa, http and torrent are methods for distribution. ED's servers are definately throttling http I would be extremely suprised to learn that the number of people downloading exceeds 5000.

System:Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z390-E,Asus ROG GeForce RTX 2080Ti OC, GPU, 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 Ram, Intel i9 9900K @ 5 GHz , cooled by NZXT Kraken X52, Acer XB270HU G-Sinc monitor, Windows 10 Pro, Warthog joystick and throttle with wasy extension, VBK Gunfighter Pro and MCG Pro,MFG Rudder, running on a dedicated 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M2 Nvme , Super Wheel Stand Pro, with a HP Reverb G2

Another person who simply doesn't understand what an Alpha is.

Even thou I understand your point and to tell you the truth I'm not that eager to get the product an will wait for the end of the week hoping the HTTP starvation will end.

The Alpha you mention is about the Sim actually, not about the download infrastructure.

The sim could be all the alpha you want and could not even start or crash randomly which is something that is part of the alpha but not able to download a file I guess is part of the WEB infrastructure.

Still if someone is a member of the community, this memeber should know that patience and waiting is a big part of it. :)

Edited by NaCH

You're just above everyone aren't you, perfect example of the "anyone driving faster than me is an idiot, and anyone driving slower is an annoyance" phrase. Don't tell me what I do and do not understand, champ.

Maximus VI Hero

780Ti 2-way SLI

Samsung 850 Pro SSDs

TrackIR 5

Windows 10 Pro

HOTAS Warthog

The list goes on..

Is there a torrent file somewhere I can grab to upload to my other server? It seems odd that I can only download and upload on my PC while it's installing. If I put it on my server I can leave here for weeks at a time which would help other after I've already installed it on my pc. I know they've had the torrent file in the past.

Coder - Oculus Rift Guy - Court Jester

I'm sorry but the 9 kb/s I am getting right now wouldnt even be acceptable for an alpha if I was downloading it 20 years ago!!

Intel i7 6700k OC 4.7ghz

Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero Motherboard

Zotac GTX980ti 6GB Amp Extreme

32 GB DDR4 3200 RAM

Oculus Rift CV1

Thrustmaster Warthog

You're just above everyone aren't you, perfect example of the "anyone driving faster than me is an idiot, and anyone driving slower is an annoyance" phrase. Don't tell me what I do and do not understand, champ.

Wow, the vitriol.

I apologize if I offended you, but I'm not sure how you infer that I'm claiming to be 'better' than you.

I'm as frustrated as anyone else, I've been downloading NTTR for nearly 12 hours now. But anyone who claims that ED haven't delivered on a 'promise' is just wrong. Simple as that.

I'm sorry but the 9 kb/s I am getting right now wouldnt even be acceptable for an alpha if I was downloading it 20 years ago!!

'Wouldn't be acceptable'. Really? Where in your contract with ED is is defined what is and what isn't acceptable for you?

Read Wags' signature. "EVERYTHING IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE".

It's an Alpha. All bets are off.

Distributing files over the internet, whether it be through HTTP, FTP, or Torrent, is NOT Alpha technology. These are established protocols, with established server architecture designs, with established best practices, and with established professions whose job it is to ensure that when customers want to get files off a server or peer, and on to their individual computer, that they are able to do so easily, reliably, and quickly. Nothing about that is new, experimental, or still being solved.

ED chose not to scale their file distribution infrastructure in preparation for what was arguably their biggest product launch -- whether an Alpha or not -- since the original Black Shark module. And as others have pointed out, this isn't exactly Steam on a Call of Duty launch day; at most we're dealing with a few thousand clients trying to get the DCS 2.0 files, and yet it's still just about impossible to get the files. My 105Mb/s connection is currently pulling 29.2KB/s down to get the NTTR file. Last I checked, it wasn't 1995 anymore, but it's real hard to tell tonight, given these download speeds and given how hard and experimental and alpha-level technology you make file distribution sound.

Exactly right, none of us want to whinge for no reason, we all just want NTTR:pilotfly:

Maximus VI Hero

780Ti 2-way SLI

Samsung 850 Pro SSDs

TrackIR 5

Windows 10 Pro

HOTAS Warthog

The list goes on..

'Wouldn't be acceptable'. Really? Where in your contract with ED is is defined what is and what isn't acceptable for you?

Read Wags' signature. "EVERYTHING IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE".

It's an Alpha. All bets are off.

Yeah that's right, subject to change not catastrophe.

Maximus VI Hero

780Ti 2-way SLI

Samsung 850 Pro SSDs

TrackIR 5

Windows 10 Pro

HOTAS Warthog

The list goes on..

You could write your thesis on platform release failures by looking at what ED did today. Absolutely unacceptable for the current technology. They could've paid to scale just for 24 hrs to help get a lot of torrent seeders. Good grief!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

***HEY LOOK HERE***

How is this a catastrophe? Please explain. Because you have to wait a few hours for a download to complete? That does not a catastrophe make.

Haha Pauline Hanson for ED Forums! Roll on up everyone!

Maximus VI Hero

780Ti 2-way SLI

Samsung 850 Pro SSDs

TrackIR 5

Windows 10 Pro

HOTAS Warthog

The list goes on..

How is this a catastrophe? Please explain. Because you have to wait a few hours for a download to complete? That does not a catastrophe make.

Yeah I suppose since they already received our credit card payments two months back, it doesn't make much difference to them whether their customers can actually access their purchase. And thus catastrophe was averted! /eyeroll