DCS: NEVADA Test and Training Map Installation Discussion

• Replies 983
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My NTTR has installed itself to the FC3 folder in v2.0. NTTR does not show an icon as being installed on the modules mgr although the Nevada icon on the main screen is lit and all the NEVADA files present themselves when I click FC3. There was an earlier failed download of NTTR and I raised a support ticket about it.

Jon

That's quite a statement. Any proof? autoupdate_log.txt and autoupdate_log.old.txt are the must.

Dmitry S. Baikov @ Eagle Dynamics

LockOn FC2 Soundtrack Remastered out NOW everywhere - https://band.link/LockOnFC2.

• 1 year later...

Question: Can DCS versions share installation Directory??

Stupid noob question probably and searching netted no answer nor was the readme file helpful ---

I have 3 versions of DCS on my computer:

1. I have Steam version DCSWorld 1.5.6 in my C:\Programs(x86) directory path

2. I have ED's DCS World version DCS 1.5.6 in my D:\DCS World directory path

3. I have ED's DCS World 2 OpenAlpha version 2.0.6 (?) in my D:\DCS World 2 OpenAlpha directory path

When I look at the directory contents of each version many of the directories are the same but may contain some few different files even though in the same named directory. Obviously, the "World 2" for example contain several additional or different named directories. In short, I have a lot of space taken up by what appears to be indentical directories in separate directory paths for the 3 versions.

Questions:

Can all installations be directed during installation to one "DCS" directory resulting in single directories for those files that are duplicates over versions and unique directories created where applicable?

----OR--

Are entirely separate areas required for each installation to avoid a complicated mess during patches/updates?

It just seems to have a lot of duplication

For the time being, there are three versions of DCS to choose from: 1.5.6 stable (the latest with Caucasus terrain), 1.5.6 Open Beta (this gets patched up the fastest, but as a result always contains early bugs) and 2.0.5 Open Alpha (for any new terrains, at the moment - only Nevada).

First two are optional, i.e. You have to have at least one to use Caucasus map, but which one depends on Your preference. 2.0.x is mandatory if You own Nevada map.

Unfortunately, all three are separate games and cannot be merged in any way. There are some unofficial ways of creating a single custom skins and custom missions folder to be used by all versions at once, but that's as far as You can go and, depending on how many skins You use, will not save much of disk space.

The upcoming version 2.5 will merge current 1.5.x and 2.0.x into a single game, but it's still in the works with estimated release date somewhere this year.

I don't know which one of Your two 1.5.6s is stable/beta, but it would seem you can drop one of them, unless You want to keep them to take advantage of the separate Steam and ED promo sales.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Are entirely separate areas required for each installation to avoid a complicated mess during patches/updates?

This is your answer.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Guess I keep all installs for now.....

Thank your Art-J and cichlidfan for responding. I could probably dispense with the Steam version but will hold off for now until a combined areas (Caucasus, Nevada, ??) version is released.

Art-J: I think I have 1.5.6 released/updated version. I don't recall "beta" during installation and don't see a beta tag anywhere. Version 2 (Nevada) is "alpha" I guess.

I raised the question because of what seems to be sharing of some files across all 3 versions. For example - the profile I use for my joystick in each different game all point to the same c:/../../SavedGames/.. file.

you can uninstall the steam version and re-run the install and then pause the install @ 1% to 5% forever (turn off auto updates for the app in steam) so you can make use of the steam sales to obtain keys and activate them on the Standalone versions

Edited by Dingo_Bob

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Modules are like Pokemon you gotta catch 'em all :joystick::lol::pilotfly:

AMD Ryzen7 3700x, G-Skills 32Gb RAM @ 3200Mhz, MSI GTX1080Ti, TM Warthog (20cm extension by Sahaj), MFG Crosswind Pedals, Oculus Rift, Track Ir5

^ That is a good idea. Remember, that Steam version keys can be used on standalone one (although not the other way around). Comes in handy during various season sales.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

I raised the question because of what seems to be sharing of some files across all 3 versions. For example - the profile I use for my joystick in each different game all point to the same c:/../../SavedGames/.. file.

That should not be the case. Open Alpha should be using files in Saved Games\DCS.OpenAlpha\...

If your ED install is the released version then it will use the same folder as Steam (which is also the released version). If you have the ED Open Beta installed then it will use Saved Games\DCS.OpenBeta\...

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

That should not be the case. Open Alpha should be using files in Saved Games\DCS.OpenAlpha\...

If your ED install is the released version then it will use the same folder as Steam (which is also the released version). If you have the ED Open Beta installed then it will use Saved Games\DCS.OpenBeta\...

I'll have do a recheck on that when I have a few spare cycles.

Not that it matters on this post but "Stick"ion on my Saitek X52 Pro is driving me bonkers and I've been searching for a good disassembly video to clean/lube the stick. Can see parts splonging all over if I do it wrong.