Making a new cockpit texture

F l a n k e r

Thanks to all, very appreciated!

@Oldguy: as you probably already have checked out from the picture, the new cockpit is still a bit more "bluish" than the colour you have linked. I hope that is close enough for you.

@theGozr: you want the English version, eh? Since you care about, I'll see what I can do...

• Like 1

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When the original used cockpit there is too much whites borders and it is very distracting .. this version make me more concentrate on the gauges.. some used darken paint for gloves frction can be added a tight around the buttons and it will be perfect :)

Fly it like you stole it..

@Oldguy: as you probably already have checked out from the picture, the new cockpit is still a bit more "bluish" than the colour you have linked. I hope that is close enough for you.

The odd part is that the Model Master paint looks, in real life, just like your cockpit colors when they display as a 3D texture. You got it exactly right.

So, I am totally happy with your choices; I thank you most sincerely for your effort.

It's nice to have choices.

Edited by Oldguy

English!

Perfect! I am also quite happy with the color!

And meanwhile, I've finished the English cockpit too! You can find it in the same mod.

I've replaced the "english" cockpit livery (I've added only a file more). If I manage to get the custom livery working for the MiG-21 I will update the file. For now, I hope to enjoy my last holiday day! ;)

Screen_160102_160027.thumb.jpg.20a1fc78517d57552d8060330be7e948.jpg

ok here:

2. Enabling custom cockpit livery

To enable custom cockpit livery, you can either make one by copying and editing one of original Leatherneck's liveries (e.g. MiG-21BIS\Liveries\Mig-21_CP\english) or you can download already created livery from known and trusted DCS community sources (like Chinese or Finnish cockpit livery).

Your livery files along with description.lua should be placed in this folder.

Humm! and no option English and not working ? Am i missing something ? Thx

The 21 uses his own system for custom cockpits.

I think that with the LN system you can only have 2 "cockpits" one "original" and one "custom".

Maybe in the medium term they decide to use the standard system that we´ve got in the other modules.

Ok I got it to work but this need to change from the LN devs

So I basically copy all the inside of the "English" folder and drop into "Custom" folder and it's working but this give me just one choice of English language .. and what if I want to got quick in French or Chinese for example... ? not possible

The 21 uses his own system for custom cockpits.

I think that with the LN system you can only have 2 "cockpits" one "original" and one "custom".

Maybe in the medium term they decide to use the standard system that we´ve got in the other modules.

Exactly! To be precise it seems to me that, at the time, the MiG-21bis actually use the DCS cockpit textures, but limited to only one custom texture. Hope they will improve that aspect in future updates.

That said, I need all the texture names to make a "real" custom texture, because I edited more texture sheets than those given in their description.lua files. That's not a problem because I entirely substitute the original texture for now.

Ok I got it to work but this need to change from the LN devs

So I basically copy all the inside of the "English" folder and drop into "Custom" folder and it's working but this give me just one choice of English language .. and what if I want to got quick in French or Chinese for example... ? not possible

To use the English cockpit you must have chosen in the general settings -> gameplay -> avionics language -> english, so yes, you can use only one texture at a time. I've used the \english\ folder though: copy all the files in the \english\ folder in the ZIP in the \english\ forlder in your DCS World\Mods\aircraft\MiG-21bis\Liveries\ directory.

I've found were to read the materals to apply the texture to!

For whom may concern they are in "<DCS World>\Mods\aircraft\MiG-21bis\Shapes\Mig-21_CP.edm"!

So I've managed to create a complete custom livery (only some details to add) and then I can create two separate custom cockpit, one in Russian language and one for the English.

@Custard: here two screenshot of the annunciators, at night and at day, in sunlight and shadow (the latter is an old screenshot, the lights are slightly better centered and the corner more rounded now).

Screen_160103_224755.thumb.jpg.8f5ab166c8218209e1c829ec306b73aa.jpg

Screen_151231_141823.thumb.jpg.6849b4a4c807a4ab4560fe08ccdc91a2.jpg

Edited by F l a n k e r

Tough to read ;)

Not that much, materials and textures are in plain text!

BUT! I've spent about 10 hours to figure out that the specular map for the texture 003 is associated to the material named "MiG-21_CP_003_2" ... aaaahrrg! I've noticed that the button under the HSI has some scratches on it...

So, at last, I've finally finished to assign every materials now!