New Installer painfully slow

There was an E. Coast DDS. for a few days over the weekend? Possibly effected us.

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone having terribly slow updates on the 2.6.22.24 installer? I've been trying to download the 1.5.8OB update for the past 4-5 days now and I'm only getting 70kb/s with 35 peers. HTTP download is equally slow (or slower). I keep having to cancel the update because it would take an entire day to get it done.

• 2 weeks later...

help with DSL or do I need a new modem

I am way out in the sticks and I have never gotten anything to D/L faster then

360 kbps. Frontier site that allows me to port forward and see my connection

says I am at 3800 kbps and it just took me a day to download DCS open Alpha and now

two days to get 2 jets and Normandy and NTTR.

The Netgear D2200D dsl modem is what they gave me, would buying a different

modem do anything to help my speeds ? Thanks for any help

DSL.thumb.jpg.78aa4dc3160436447bf8b4e8227c3d82.jpg

Edited by ctguy1955
added a photo

The Netgear D2200D dsl modem is what they gave me, would buying a different modem do anything to help my speeds ?

Probably not. I've seen cases where changing a crappy modem to a decent model solved DSL issues. But the modem can only do so much. If 3680 Kbit/s downstream is all your ISP can offer you, the maximum download rate would be 460 KByte/s, and so the 337 KByte/s that you're seeing on the downloader isn't perfect, but it's not terribly bad either.

To put it differently, downloading the 36193 MBytes from the screenshot would take some 30 hours at 337 KByte/s, and some 22 hours at 460 KByte/s. But I've never seen phone line DSL deliver 100% of its theoretical max. As a rough estimate, take whatever it says in KBit/s, divide by ten, and if it delivers that value in KByte/s, it's quite okay. So with 3600 KBit/s, 360 KByte/s wouldn't be too bad.

If there's any chance of upgrading your DSL, try it.

Then again, I once moved to a new place, and my Internet Service Provider couldn't deliver the DSL speed I had in my old place. They tried to max the line at 6 MBit/s, but I got disconnects every couple of minutes. I had them downgrade to 3 MBit/s, which was a bit better, and then 2 MBit/s, which was slow, but finally stable. (They still charged me 6 MBit/s).

When another company offered VDSL at 50 MBit/s, I made the switch, it worked perfect right from the start, and I never looked back. But this is a city and we were one of the first to get VDSL, and by now FTTH at 100 or even 200 MBit/s. Large parts of Germany still look a lot like what you describe, though. :(

With no better DSL options, you might consider Internet via satellite. It's usually more expensive than DSL and still requires a phone line/DSL for the upstream, but it might provide much better downstream, albeit with a lot of latency. Meaning it's okay for downloads, but useless for online gaming.

I am way out in the sticks and I have never gotten anything to D/L faster then

360 kbps. Frontier site that allows me to port forward and see my connection

says I am at 3800 kbps and it just took me a day to download DCS open Alpha and now

two days to get 2 jets and Normandy and NTTR.

The Netgear D2200D dsl modem is what they gave me, would buying a different

modem do anything to help my speeds ? Thanks for any help

What speed are you buying from your provider? It is usually expressed as the Download speed in mbs (mega bits per second). What you see as the game download speed is Mega Bytes per sec written as MB/s or MBytes/s. There are 8 bits in a byte so 8mbs = 1MBytes/s. If you are seeing 360KB/s on the download screen that's 0.36 MBytes/s and really crap in this day and age. If it is 360kbs then it's even worse at 45KBytes/s.

Your modem can't deliver more than your supplier (ISP) is providing. Check with them. If they are not delivering anywhere near what they are selling you, kick up a stink. If you are buying say 10mbs you should be getting at least near 8mbs at busy times.

You can check what you are really getting by going here:

http://www.speedtest.net/

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo, i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz with Corsair H115i watercooling, Gigabyte 2080Ti GAMING OC 11Gb GPU , 32Gb DDR4 RAM, 500Gb and 256Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s + 2TB , Pimax 8k Plus VR, TM Warthog Throttle, TM F18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, Windows 10 Home 64bit

• 1 month later...

Too many whines and no cheese!

This isnt launch day, this is Open Alpha, problems can be expected, that said, if you dont have anything constructive to say, dont say anything at all.

I gotta agree with you SS, surely everyone should’ve suspected something like this to happen, with so many eating to torrent, it’s server crush time. So why is everyone freaking out? This is exactly what it says Open Alpha and we all know what happens with OA, sometimes there’s more bugs than a African Jungle, so what!? They eventually get ironed out and happy days will prevail. Everyone should take a deep breath, geez there are worse things. Hey when I get home from work soon, I’m not going to touch it, I can still meddle with some mission building and stuff and if I can’t then so be it. Either way I’m going to wait till all the dust settles.

Be kind to each other. Cheers and peace to all and let’s try and keep a happy vibe hapoenin.

::) :thumbup:

:: 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900K :: Asus ROG Strix Z790-A mobo :: Asus Tuff Gaming GeForce RTX 3080 Ti :: NZXT Kraken Elite 280 RGB AIO white cooler :: G Skill Trident Z Royals DDR4 4x16GB = 64GB :: WD Black SN 850X NVMe SSD 2TB M.2 (C Drive) :: Samsung 860 Pro 2TB SATA (D Drive) :: Corsair Crystal 680X White Case :: Asus XG349C 34" Curve G-Sync 180Hz 3440x1440 Mon :: Corsair 850W PSU :: Virpil Constellation Alpha-R Stick with VPC WarBRD Base :: Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle :: 3 x CubeSim ext mini screens with TM Cougar MFD Bezels :: Asus ROG Pugio 503 Gaming Mouse & Razer BlackWidow mech kb :: TrackIR 5 Pro & Cap Clip :: Win 11 64 Bit 😉

But its not only the Beta updater thats so slow ! Its allways been like that, and with many running the updater at once, gives more to torrent from = higher download speed.. But thats normal torrent, this looks like one is only getting from they server. And that dont makes sense, since Ill have been uploading with anything from 0.5MB/s all the way up to 478MB/s.

From this morning (now 5 hours since) Ill have gotten 19.8GB - but have uploaded 276,9GB..

It was the same for me to get 1.5.8 - it took 7 days to get everything !

Michael.

Some fun facts from the Meraki Dashbord:

Im sending to users (IPs) in:

AE, AF, AT, AU, BE, BR, BY, CA, CH, CL, CN, CZ, DE, DK, ES, FI, FR, GB, HK, HU, IE, IM, IQ, IT, JP, KR, NL, NO, NZ, PL, RO, RU, SE, SG, SK, TH, TW, UA, US, ZA !

One have gotten 12,8GB from me, And Ill 33,48MB from him..

57min is the avg time a user/IP and my PC is sharing.

Done after 7hours 21mins, with 25271MB !

Edited by mstauning