3 monitor alignment in DCS

damo

I decided to see what DCS was like in a 3 monitor set-up. I've had my 3 screens for a while but nether bother to try DCS in this mode until now.

While it appears to work ok on the surface, I quickly noticed that the is a discrepancy on the horizon alignment between the monitors. There is also a noticeable line either side of the centre monitor which shows the start of this discrepancy.

If you review the images attached, it should be quite obvious.

Is this normal? is there anything I can do to correct this?

Many Thanks

IMG_0813.thumb.JPG.a5eb3ab2b7747adc68d2d4390ff21e95.JPG

IMG_0812.thumb.JPG.02bc41b601f98951de748e5ac9643272.JPG

IMG_0814.thumb.JPG.f64cc7d170e8e7ba22f60c1712326d5b.JPG

Not sure what your GPU is but if you want to get them aligned, you need to set up bezel correction. What it will do is make it so the monitor bezels will actually hide what is behind them.

Here's the Nvidia article on it.

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2685/~/what-is-bezel-correction%3F

Win 10 64 Pro, MSI Z390 I7-9700K @5ghz Kraken Z63, 32Gb Corsair Dominator, MSI RTX-2070, 1TB NVME 2TB SSD's, TM Warthog, Pro Rudders, OpenTrack w/ IR Clip

The other contributor to the issue you are seeing, is that the view presented in the left and right screens is from a viewpoint of a camera facing directly left and right as opposed to some angle less than 90 degrees away from the front view.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Thanks for the replies.

I'm not so bothered about the mis-alignment. It's the correct orientation of the horizon for the left and right camera view.

I've found several posts now on the subject which mention editing the monitor configuration files.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=98717

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3232380.html

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=60815

and most interesting : http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=1425549

It seems to centre on the viewDx and viewDy params...

Edited by damo
removed information which is incorrect and no longer reinvent

ok, found the default 3 Screen lua and copied it to my MonitorSetup folder so I could create my own version of it.

Turns out viewDx and viewDy changes the position of the camera views and doesn't allow for orientation correct.

Seems odd that the 3 camera view by default acts this way. (video below)

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIgm7kK-zgo[/ame]

Is this just the way it is?

ok, found the default 3 Screen lua and copied it to my MonitorSetup folder so I could create my own version of it.

Turns out viewDx and viewDy changes the position of the camera views and doesn't allow for orientation correct.

If you want one horizon line across all three screens side by side you actually need to use 1 camera setting.

3 camera is really 3 viewpoint with different (horizontal) angles.

Think of a 3 projectors setup , one projecting on the front wall and the other two on left and right wall (at 90 degrees angle).

See cichlidfan's answer.

Damo,

I had the same issue. In DCS settings under "Monitor", change your "3 screen" to "1 screen".

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

humm, this is a bit of a shame.

Because my left and right monitors are a slightly lower resolution, I loose the ability to enter configuration which is unhelpfully where I can't see it in 'wide' 1 screen mode. I also loose my comms options in flight.

I'll keep fiddling. Thanks all

I decided to see what DCS was like in a 3 monitor set-up. I've had my 3 screens for a while but nether bother to try DCS in this mode until now.

While it appears to work ok on the surface, I quickly noticed that the is a discrepancy on the horizon alignment between the monitors. There is also a noticeable line either side of the centre monitor which shows the start of this discrepancy.

If you review the images attached, it should be quite obvious.

Is this normal? is there anything I can do to correct this?

Many Thanks

I thought it was necessary to have all 3 monitors the exact same size. You appear not to.

Because my left and right monitors are a slightly lower resolution, I loose the ability to enter configuration which is unhelpfully where I can't see it in 'wide' 1 screen mode. I also loose my comms options in flight.

I also have sorround and i cant understand why people are playing with 1 screen config,

if you play with 1 screen config the pictures on the left and right screen get heavy deformated.

if you configured your displays right in the nvidea tool inkl.breezel correction. you dont have to edit anything to play with 3 screen setup.

what do i missing?

Edited by whaaw

SFMBE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIgm7kK-zgo

3 Camera LUA is defaulted to 9 Degree offset from front view

90-left - front - 90 right

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

If those screens have a different resolution there is nothing to do, as far as i know. Even if, say the lines of the cockpit would be alligned, further lines which are more far away (roads, mountains and so on) woudln't be. And vice versa. From what i saw dcs world is one of the only games which allows triple screen without setting the surround through nvidia control panel/CCC even with different resolutions, try through the surround setting maybe.

You can try using 1 screen and setting up a different viewport for the GUI, so you can still use the menus and the comms.

See here:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=143536

Add the following code at the end of your monitor.lua (make copy in \Saved Games\DCS\Config\MonitorSetup\ folder):

GUI =
{
 x = screen.width/3;
 y = 0;
 width = screen.width/3;
 height = screen.height;
}
UIMainView = GUI

(this is a sample code that will use the center 3rd of the screen for the GUI but you can put hardcoded values instead).

If you are using the 3 monitor setting it is rendering 3 viewports and assumes your side monitors are at a 90deg angle to the center. You can use the 1 monitor setting to stretch the single forward viewports across 3 screens.

"It takes a big man to admit he is wrong...I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives

5800X3D - 64gb ram - RTX3080 - Windows 11

If you are using the 3 monitor setting it is rendering 3 viewports and assumes your side monitors are at a 90deg angle to the center. You can use the 1 monitor setting to stretch the single forward viewports across 3 screens.

Don't worry, this has been established several times already in the this thread ;)

You should edit the 3 monitors config file to ensure that it is perfect. Just as I have done.

+ the reason the side monitors appear to be 'angled' is because the centre monitor viewpoint isn't looking directly forward at the horizon; it's actually looking slightly head down into the cockpit. The side monitors go off center monitor.

Edited by Mogs

I was previously using the same sort of set-up, with a 22" 1680x1050 monitor in the middle and two 19" monitors of 1440x900 at either side, but I did not have the issues you are encountering.

unfortunately, the system has changed since, but I was able to get everything to align and the GUI to show in it's entirity (so the briefings, comms options etc).

All I did was to edit the monitor lua file (I made my own) to position the main view and the GUI where I wanted them.

In end effect, I told the sim that I had three 1680x1050 monitors and simply adjusted the GUI setting to a lower (1024x768 ) setting. I don't even know if that is possible in the current version.

Of course, you are missing a bit of the view off the sides of your side monitors, but that is a very small price to pay and I didn't even notice (using TrackIR anyway).

Definitely only used the single screen option and typed in the appropriate aspect ratio myself (for 3x1680x1050) and selected my customised monitor file, of course.

Edited by Brixmis

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2