Oh Noooo

Bought brand new top of the line Dell XPS... First install was lock-on Gold patched to 1.12a. In every mission so far the game has hung (within 5 to minutes) and I must cold boot the machine. I have the latest everything... I have nothing to else to try!!! Help - any ideas. (Other game installs working fine)

Money is not the issue... time is. With my jobs, family and commitments I have almost zero time to fly these days so I was very happy to let someone build a system for me.

Specs... let's see... P955 EE (3.46 dual core), 7900GTX, 2GB mem, 500GB drive, Logitech z5500 with X-Fi, 24 dell monitor, TrackiR 3 pro, Saitek X45, XP sp2.

Any suggestions appreciated

Guest IguanaKing

Yup...its very likely it was set up with the OEM drivers that came with the hardware Dell purchased to install in it. Those are almost always SEVERELY out-of-date.

Money is not the issue... time is. With my jobs, family and commitments I have almost zero time to fly these days so I was very happy to let someone build a system for me.

Specs... let's see... P955 EE (3.46 dual core), 7900GTX, 2GB mem, 500GB drive, Logitech z5500 with X-Fi, 24 dell monitor, TrackiR 3 pro, Saitek X45, XP sp2.

What did that cost you 3 grand, it doesn't take that long to build a system. It would take just as long as setting up that new 3 grand dell you got. You could have built the same system for half that price.

I hope you sort out your problem.

update your GFX drivers. First uninstall the original ones. Use drivercleaner in safemode to remove traces. Then in normal mode install new drivers.

Being a dell owner (Inspiron) myself...I would definately suggest a re-format. Too much bloatware. The PC you are loooking at is bogged down nearly 40% by crap preinstalled.

just do a fresh format. You will not regret it. Well...obviously...back up first. :)

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

try running process affinity to a single CPU / core whatever

dont ask me how. just heard others with dual cpu / core have some problems ... just surgestion.

• Like 2

Savage 77th Squadron 'S77th' http://www.s77th.com

The Lomac League, For Squadrons & Single Players http://www.LomacLeague.com

dantesig.gif

Also, you should check if the cpu is overheating
And GPU ;)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Intel MB chipset drivers here..

Intel Chipset Installation Utility 8.1.1.100

Not sure if these are the right drivers for ur board? (INSTSTALL AT UR OWN RISK!) I've just installed them np's

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1424

Be Good..Be Strong..:drink: ;)

try running process affinity to a single CPU / core whatever

dont ask me how. just heard others with dual cpu / core have some problems ... just surgestion.

Under Task Manager --> Processes, find Lockon.exe (lock on MUST be running, so you'd alt-tab to the desktop to do this). Right-click lockon.exe (I THINK that's the name), click on 'affinity', and clear the check for CPU1 (CPU0 would still be checked). Now running the program single-core...whether it retains this setting for the next time you run the program, I'm not too sure (it didn't for my Saitek Profile software).

Bought brand new top of the line Dell XPS... First install was lock-on Gold patched to 1.12a. In every mission so far the game has hung (within 5 to minutes) and I must cold boot the machine. I have the latest everything... I have nothing to else to try!!! Help - any ideas. (Other game installs working fine)

I play on a Dell laptop and yes, it may have been cheaper to build it yourself, but I've know people self build and never get it running right.

Go to the Dell site and get the latest drivers - they are very good at releasing updates (unlike many other manufacturers) and often ship with older versions. Also, have a look at the Dell support forums - they can be very helpful. Be careful about getting non-Dell drivers, they may not work in concert with other Dell drivers on your system.

Don't rule out faulty hardware ... Dell are as suspect as everyone else. Check nothing came loose in transport. Check your fans still run and possibly get an app to monitor temp - I use l8fangui (but that may only work on laptops). If it consistently locks after x minutes, suspect heat ... Also, try removing 1/2 the memory and see if the problem goes away, then the other half ...

Hope this helps,

James

What happens if you try to run 3dmark06? 7900-series cards have had a lot of issues lately so it could be a video card problem. Instead of instant crashes many people seem to be getting lots of artifacts, however, so I'm not so sure about that.

Lock on MUST have a dynamic campaign system with multiplayer capability!

My blog full of incoherent ramblings on random subjects: https://anttiilomaki.wordpress.com/

Downloaded the latest Nvidia drivers and (after uninstalling the previous ones) installed them. Now Lock-on hangs within 5 to 10 seconds after starting the application (before it was at least taking 5 to 10 munites before it froze the machine). Well... time to uninstall the game and start from scratch.... sigh

Another issue is microsoft's indexing service, which often turns sour on dual processor systems, maybe also on dual core.

Go to System Management / Services and find the Indexing service. Just stop it, and try Lockon again.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi Solstice,

If you want to ensure LOMAC runs on a single core....use a little app called "Procaff" (search for it in google) - basically its an exe file that sits in the game directory....you then edit the "target" properties in your desktop shortcut (as per instructions on Procaff readme.txt) and you will then properly be running LOMAC with a single core (be that core 1 or core 2, your choice).

FYI, LOMAC runs fine using both cores when OFFLINE.....but online you need to set affinity to a single core - dunno why, you just do.

Any windows task manager affinity thing does not remember settings, thats why procaff is better.

As for everyone else's suggestions, do reinstall vid card drivers and reinstall LOMAC (always worth a go)....good luck, hope it works out for ya.

Brewber out.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

487th Helicopter Attack Regiment, of the

VVS504 Red Hammers

Hi Solstice,

If you want to ensure LOMAC runs on a single core....use a little app called "Procaff" (search for it in google) - basically its an exe file that sits in the game directory....you then edit the "target" properties in your desktop shortcut (as per instructions on Procaff readme.txt) and you will then properly be running LOMAC with a single core (be that core 1 or core 2, your choice).

FYI, LOMAC runs fine using both cores when OFFLINE.....but online you need to set affinity to a single core - dunno why, you just do.

Any windows task manager affinity thing does not remember settings, thats why procaff is better.

As for everyone else's suggestions, do reinstall vid card drivers and reinstall LOMAC (always worth a go)....good luck, hope it works out for ya.

Brewber out.

+1

I had similar problems.

After procaff installation, all was fine.

- Copy procaff.exe in the following folder /windows

- Modify the target line of your shoorcut to lunch lock on, by adding C:\WINDOWS\procaff.exe /run 1 in front of the exe pass of lockon. that should be "C:\WINDOWS\procaff.exe /run 1 "C:\Program

Files\Ubisoft\Eagle Dynamics\Lock On\LOCKON.EXE procaff.exe /run 1"

hope it will work for u.

regards

EDIT : would be a good thing if ED gives more information on that and help customer to solve these dual-cores issue as more and more new systems have dual cores.