New Video card needed, I believe.

Hello,

So I was just started playing DCS over the week-end and it seems my Radeon ATI 7970 is a bit behind. At high, I get some little lag / sluggish moments.

1) Any of you runs the 7970 at High without any issue? ( I was wondering if it could be my setup)

2) For a new card, I've read that the GTX 970 is the best choice around, this apply to DCS as well?

3) While checking for a new GPU... Should I check for a CPU as well? I have currently have a i7-3770k

System Spec:

Intel i7-3770k

24GB Ram

2 x 250 SSD

ATI Radeon 7970

Monitor: ASUS PB278, 2560 x 1440, 27"

Thanks!

I currently am running a GTX 970 with great results , I would note I am running the Open Beta 1.5. DCS 1.5 uses the new Edge graphics engine, and makes much better use of the graphic cards power.

On my system ( a 4820K running at 4.5 ghz), I am getting over 100 fps pretty consistently. I have all graphics on highest setting except DOF off. No stuttering at all, buttery smooth for me. Performance is great for me so far. I was getting good framerates in 1.2 as well, but it was more like 80 fps or so.

You are fine with that processor, it is a very good one and with it being a K processor is very easily overclocked by just changing the cpu multiplier. Don't know if you have done any overclocking or not, but if you had a decent cooler I would think you could easily get that processor to 4.3-4.5 ghz as well. I run the Corsair H100i closed loop water cooler.

Even without manual overclocking, your cpu with turbo enabled run at 3.9 ghz, which should be fine as well.

Now I am not up to speed really with the AMD cards anymore, so I can't really say what kind of difference you might expect coming from your card.

I am very pleased with the performance of my GTX 970 ( I have an EVGA GTX 970 FTW)...

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

The rest of your system is fine. A 970 should give you excellent results.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Thanks.

I'll probably get a EV GTX 970. Do you have the specific model? Seems like there's is 32 variants of them on Amazon! Is it this on? 04G-P4-2978-KR

http://www.amazon.ca/EVGA-GeForce-Quieter-Graphics-04G-P4-2974-KR/dp/B00NVODXR4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1447093584&sr=8-1&keywords=evga+gtx+970

Right now, my CPU is not overclocked, I have CoolerMaster 12EVO that I never installed, I think I will try OC and see if I get any benefits.

Thanks !

Any OC will definitely improve things.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Thanks.

I'll probably get a EV GTX 970. Do you have the specific model? Seems like there's is 32 variants of them on Amazon! Is it this on? 04G-P4-2978-KR

That would be very nice card.

I have the FTW I got shortly after it came out, now they have the FTW+ that replaced it.

Basically these cards, like the SC and FTW, are already tested and factory overclocked a little, so their standard boost clock will be higher than say a reference version.

EVGA makes great cards, you will not go wrong. I have only run EVGA cards for the last several years.

Be aware these cards come with ACX2, which is passive cooling. At idle, and until they reach a certain temp, the fans are not even on. No big problem, but for gaming you might want them to come on sooner and run at certainy speeds - I use MSI Afterburner for this, I use it to set a fan profile to keep my card cool when gaming...

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I run two monitors with mine.

Main display is 1920x1080x144hz

Secondary display is 1680x1050x60hz

I run my games on my main monitor, and have the desktop extended to my secondary monitor where I have my flight manuals, MSI Afterburner, and other icons.

Don B

Thanks.

I think I'll buy this one. Good reviews so far. ;)

Appreciated.

Edit: Ordered. ;)

:thumbup:

Congrats!

I think you will really like it, be sure and post back your thoughts when you get it in and running.

Don B

Hello,

So I was just started playing DCS over the week-end and it seems my Radeon ATI 7970 is a bit behind. At high, I get some little lag / sluggish moments.

1) Any of you runs the 7970 at High without any issue? ( I was wondering if it could be my setup)

2) For a new card, I've read that the GTX 970 is the best choice around, this apply to DCS as well?

3) While checking for a new GPU... Should I check for a CPU as well? I have currently have a i7-3770k

System Spec:

Intel i7-3770k

24GB Ram

2 x 250 SSD

ATI Radeon 7970

Thanks!

have you tried 1.5 Beta DCS already? if not, do that first, everything seems to work smoother with that new game engine.

STEAM

asus p8z68-v gen3, 2600k@4,5ghz(w/c), 16gb, 1080ti(w/c), ch fighterstick/gvl224-4000-8, ch pro throttle, Oculus Rift CV1+Touch, thrustmaster tx

Hi,

I got the new card yesterday! Installed the new beast and I did not see much much more improvement over the 7970, surprisingly.

With everything at high, cockpit frame at 1024, slightly more bushes/trees, I roughly get a 40fps on the runway and somewhere between 60-80 when flying.

As PureEvil, the OpenBeta 1.5 seems to do a good job even with my 7970.

I barely had the time (only test it out for about 15 mins) to do more digging yet, but I was expecting better results :(

I'll post screenshot of my setting a bit later on (I'm at work so..)

btw, the game is very playable and looks beautiful, so there's no real issue there, maybe my expectation were a bit too high. :music_whistling:

- D.

Hi,

I got the new card yesterday! Installed the new beast and I did not see much much more improvement over the 7970, surprisingly.

First, did you do a complete cleanout of the AMD drivers before installing the Nvidia drivers?

( uninstall and then clean out with a program like DDU ( Display Driver Uninstaller) ?

What Nvidia drivers did you install?

Did you install the whole package? I personally only install the driver and PhysX.

What video settings are you running in the Nvidia control panel?

( I recommend application controlled and setting all your settings in the game GUI).

Don B

Howdy,

I uninstall the AMD driver from the control panel, that's all I did.

I'm planning to do a clean re-install of Win10 when the November update drops (supposed to be today / tomorrow) and see if that helps.

Also, I did install the whole package, including the GeForce experience app.

I also installed the PrecisionX tool for the EVGA card, but I did not tweak anything yet.

In the NVidia control panel, everything seems to be Application controlled.. Well, everything that can be.

For now, I think my best bet is to do a clean install, I had that in mind since I don't trust the AMD uninstall, at, all.

I'll post again after this clean install.

Happy day!

For now, I think my best bet is to do a clean install, I had that in mind since I don't trust the AMD uninstall, at, all.

I'll post again after this clean install.

That would be a good start, I would go ahead and use DDU to uninstall both the Nvidia graphics driver and the AMD graphics driver. ( laying odds DDU will find some AMD graphics files to remove even though you uninstalled previously).

Then install latest Nvidia drivers clean ( try custom install and only install the driver and PhysX).

Set in your DCS exe in Nvidia control panel, to " prefer maximum performance".

Don't know if this will help your performance, but would be a fresh clean start and at least rule that part of it out...

Don B

That would be a good start, I would go ahead and use DDU to uninstall both the Nvidia graphics driver and the AMD graphics driver. ( laying odds DDU will find some AMD graphics files to remove even though you uninstalled previously).

Then install latest Nvidia drivers clean ( try custom install and only install the driver and PhysX).

Set in your DCS exe in Nvidia control panel, to " prefer maximum performance".

Don't know if this will help your performance, but would be a fresh clean start and at least rule that part of it out...

Yup, I did a quick test on lunch time, and just changing setting up dcs.exe in the NVidia panel (prefer max perf).. I'm now roughly at 80/100FPS :)

Thanks for that. I'll do a clean install later this evening and see if I can get better result.

But right now, I'm happy. Also the fan is super quiet compare to my old card, which is a big plus!!!

Cheers! :drink::thumbup:

Yup, I did a quick test on lunch time, and just changing setting up dcs.exe in the NVidia panel (prefer max perf).. I'm now roughly at 80/100FPS :)

Thanks for that. I'll do a clean install later this evening and see if I can get better result.

But right now, I'm happy. Also the fan is super quiet compare to my old card, which is a big plus!!!

Cheers! :drink::thumbup:

:thumbup:

Glad it helped, have fun and enjoy that new card!

Don B

The rest of your system is fine. A 970 should give you excellent results.

Hi,

do you think the 970 should work fine in my system as well?

MB: ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77.

Procesor: INTEL CORE i7-3770 3,4 - 3,9GHz.

HD: 2x SanDisk eXtreme 240GB in STRIP

Mempry: CORSAIR VENGEANCE BLACK, 16GB, DDR3, 1866MHz

Grafic card: EVGA GTX680 SUPERCLOCKED, GeForce GTX680 1124MHz, 2GB DDR5, 6208MHz.

Power supply: CORSAIR TX750M, 750W, 140 mm ventilátor

Case: COOLERMASTER HAF 912 PLUS. Info ZDE.

Hi,

do you think the 970 should work fine in my system as well?

MB: ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77.

Procesor: INTEL CORE i7-3770 3,4 - 3,9GHz.

HD: 2x SanDisk eXtreme 240GB in STRIP

Mempry: CORSAIR VENGEANCE BLACK, 16GB, DDR3, 1866MHz

Grafic card: EVGA GTX680 SUPERCLOCKED, GeForce GTX680 1124MHz, 2GB DDR5, 6208MHz.

Power supply: CORSAIR TX750M, 750W, 140 mm ventilátor

Case: COOLERMASTER HAF 912 PLUS. Info ZDE.

If you feel like you need an upgrade go for it. The 970 is faster for sure. I don't think i would upgrade yet if i had your system (though I dont exactly know how many frames you are getting with a 680), but that is a personal thing.

And it is easy for me to say since I got a 970 at release :music_whistling:

• 1 month later...

I would go for any card with more than 6GB+ Vram only becouse DCS 2,0 at Nevada uses 6,5 GB Vram from graphic card. Version 1,5 uses easly 3,5 Vram.

Ryzen 7 1700 (OC 4.0)|32GB RAM 2400|Nvidia 1080 OC|ASUS X370 PRO|EVGA 750|SSD SAMSUNG 500MB|4T GB HDD|Thrustmaster Hotas X|32" 1080p|Track IR 5|Win10 x64|

Hello,

System Spec:

Intel i7-3770k

24GB Ram

2 x 250 SSD

ATI Radeon 7970

Thanks!

Check out this thread: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=157374

xZTxHxt.png

HD7970 is basically a 280X so look for these results. Are you running DSC 1.5 openbeta?

Is you CPU overclocked? I would definitely look into this, especially since your CPU has unlocked multiplier. Memory speed might also be the factor here.