Airport lights visibility

Rabbit_

Hi. Just out of curiosity......don't You think, the airport lights are just too dim? I mean (and maybe it's just my problem), when You are at 3000 ft for example and it's night (no clouds, fog, etc), You really have to try hard to find the runway while flying downwind. In reality the lights of the runway shine like hell, so I miss a little more contrast. I have highest texture and effects settings and visibility is far. Thanks. :)

That's why I asked for a screenshot. Lights should be very visible but only from certain angles, depending on altitude, positioning, strength etc. airport lights need to be especially visible.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

By the way, since it's somehow related...when are the lights of the airports turned on?

Aren't they supposed to be always on (I don't really know, just guessing)?

Maybe it's me, but there are a lot of situations near dusk, when it's pretty dark outside, but the runway lights are off (or so they seem). It's not night, and the runway is visible of course, but it looks like the lights should be on anyway...

By the way, since it's somehow related...when are the lights of the airports turned on?

Aren't they supposed to be always on (I don't really know, just guessing)?

Maybe it's me, but there are a lot of situations near dusk, when it's pretty dark outside, but the runway lights are off (or so they seem). It's not night, and the runway is visible of course, but it looks like the lights should be on anyway...

Google "FAR Sec. 139.311 — Marking, signs, and lighting" should answer the questions you have...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

• 4 months later...

Sorry for the necromancy, but I just started doing some night flying and I also found this thing about runway lights quite annoying.

I guess t's some kind of a bug or work in progress; as it makes no sense to me that I can clearly spot the city/village lights but I can barely see the runway when I'm even below 2000m (above 4000m it's freaking imposible to spot the runway).

Not to mention when the HDR kicks in...even if the sun is already below the horizon, there are certain orientations that make the sight literally turn black.

I'm attaching a few screenshots just in case (believe it or not, in the first one there's a runway outside the window :))

invisible_runway_lights.thumb.jpg.fc7b52c94bfe7f99adb7c4a75d0d7f15.jpg

crazy_hdr.thumb.jpg.2b039f257641a013e90e122105270038.jpg

• 2 months later...

Bump for a reminder to ED that the runway lights too dim still needs attention. You can clearly see city lights farther away but the runway lights are barely visible at night until you are right on top of the airbase at 2500ft or lower.

CPU: i7 980x @ 4.2GHz RAM: 24gb Corsair Vengeance

MB: Gigabyte Sniper X58 w/onboard Soundblaster X-Fi

HD: SanDisk 480gb SSD OS: Win7 Pro 64bit

VIDEO CARD: EVGA GTX 980ti FTW

MONITOR: LG 34" Ultrawide 2560x1080

MP SERVER: ibuypower i7-4810MQ w/Win7 Home 64bit

GEAR: Saitek X-52 Pro; Combat Rudder Pedals; Throttle Quadrants. Thrustmaster MFD's, TrackIR 5 w/Pro Clip, Turtle Beach X-12 Headset

• 1 year later...

Hey there, just flying around on the 2.5. I know this has been going on for quite a while, but here's another screenshot; this time it's just foggy. Maybe it's not directly related, but I think it still comes down to propper runway (overall) lighting.

Summer; 6AM: the street lights on the nearby roads can be seen, but not the runway lights at Kobuleti.

Hope this can get fixed at some point.

runway_fog.thumb.jpg.3a775be18ba82984dd0cd1cc86ff1c1c.jpg

The lighting in general needs looked at, the night lighting especially, ever since deffered shading was introduced, it's never been right. But they know about it and are going to sort it out I think with 2.5.1?

i5-7600K @ 4.8 | 32GB | 1080 | Rift S | TM MFD & WH HOTAS-10mm ext + TFRP

The issue with ground lights, draw distance, visibility, types, lack of color variation..etc in addition to no moon/star/ambient lighting is VERY well known and has been a problem for a very long time. And only got worse with the intro of 2.x versions. ED knows about it. They have tried to adjust them and we should see that in the next update. However it is clear from the preview shots of 2.5.1 that Nine posted the fixes are not that effective and do not address the real issues night lights in DCS have currently. Hopefully one day ED will be able to get their engine to play with nights well but that seems a long ways off if it ever is addressed.

Currently DCS is a day-light hours only flight sim. That pretty much is the consensus from those of us that actually attempt to fly at night. It needs a TOTAL, yes I mean total, overhaul and most likely the engine core itself needs to be updated to get anything decent out of it for night time usage. And in VR, the issues are even worse than what a 2D monitor user experiences. It really is too bad.

Edited by Torso