[1.2.16] Stutter in fullscreen mode - Qs

_Firefly

Hey everyone,

I've been having some stuttering issues lately and I don't really know what's causing them. Perhaps some of you could chime in and help - as a computer illiterate person I'm having a hard time configuring my settings to make the game work smoothly.

I recently installed DCS 1.2.16 as a standalone and redeemed my Steam copy of FC3. The setup went well and after configuring my stick I launched the game. It immediately became apparent that the game stuttered for some reason and felt generally unpleasant at times, particularly when looking around (I'm running it at my Windows screen resolution, 1920x1080). After reading a bit about other peoples' problems I tried the game in frameless windowed mode. To my surprise the game ran perfectly fine without stuttering, even though visually it was indentical to the fullscreen rendition.

I've tried using Nvidia ShadowPlay to make a video illustrating my problems, but the playback is perfectly smooth and the issues are not apparent. This makes me wonder if it's my display that's causing trouble.

What do you think could be the problem? As a DCS noob and someone who isn't very confident about his IT skills I'd rather not mess this up...

My computer specs are as follows:

Lenovo Y580 laptop

Intel i7-3630QM CPU @ 2,4GHz

16GB RAM DDR3

Nvidia GeForce GTX660M GPU

Win7 Home Premium SP1 (64 bit)

I recently had it cleaned up by a local PC repair shop. I'm running the game on medium settings with textures on high, playing the game in windowed mode and with Vsync on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Firefly.

Edited by _Firefly

DCS module wishlist: F-104S ASA-M Starfighter / F-111F Aardvark / F-4E Phantom II / J 35F2 Draken / J-7M AirGuard / Kfir C.2 / MiG-17F / MiG-21 Bison / Mirage F1 / Su-17M4 / Su-24M / Yak-9U

Been a little while since I've used 1.2.16 as 1.5 (beta) is available now.

I'd urge you to switch. Fps are much better and its a completely new graphics engine.

Doesnt mean you might not have any problems but its a much better platform to start with anyway.

In 1.5 you can choose "preload" settings. For me at least these do affect stuttering. The more you can preload the lesss stutter...however, you more you preload the more fps you lose. Just got to find the sweet spot for your rig. (Can't remember if 1.2.16 had a similar setting or not?)

Hope this helps.

I5 - 1TB SSHD, 256 SSD - Nvidia 1070 - 16gb ram - CV1

Exactly, sorry for the bad wording.

Been a little while since I've used 1.2.16 as 1.5 (beta) is available now.

I'd urge you to switch. Fps are much better and its a completely new graphics engine.

Doesnt mean you might not have any problems but its a much better platform to start with anyway.

In 1.5 you can choose "preload" settings. For me at least these do affect stuttering. The more you can preload the lesss stutter...however, you more you preload the more fps you lose. Just got to find the sweet spot for your rig. (Can't remember if 1.2.16 had a similar setting or not?)

Hope this helps.

Thanks, but I'd rather wait until 2.0 is out. 1.5 certainly has its advantages, but until the game is stable and ready for a full release I'm going to hold onto 1.2.

Edited by _Firefly

DCS module wishlist: F-104S ASA-M Starfighter / F-111F Aardvark / F-4E Phantom II / J 35F2 Draken / J-7M AirGuard / Kfir C.2 / MiG-17F / MiG-21 Bison / Mirage F1 / Su-17M4 / Su-24M / Yak-9U

Well that's very odd, the opposite is usually true.

I would monitor your CPU/GPU temperatures, if they get too high they will throttle.

I would also update or roll back your graphics driver, depending on if you have never updated, or have recently updated them.

Regards

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hmmm... The temps seem perfectly fine so far, I have no signs of overheating whatsoever. I recently had the laptop cleaned so I don't think heat is the issue. My graphics driver is up to date, but I'll try rolling it back and see if it works. For now though I'm using the frameless windowed mode in 1920x1080 and the game's working just fine. My only concern now is getting more fps out of the game, so I guess I'm going to have to lower some of the details. Thanks for your input.

If it runs better in borderless window mode, why not just run it in that mode and leave it at that? Also, Gary's suggestion is pretty good. In any case 1.5 is quite stable for most at the moment, and Im sure it it will make the release version sooner rather than later. When it does you should see an improvement in performance. How much memory does that 660M have?

One other thing, In time you should consider moving to a desktop for DCS. It is an investment both in time and in money but it is well worth it. Desktops are far more efficient in gaming than laptops and much better performing. (Due to Heat, and Power concerns).

Edited by OnlyforDCS

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

If it runs better in borderless window mode, why not just run it in that mode and leave it at that? Also, Gary's suggestion is pretty good. In any case 1.5 is quite stable for most at the moment, and Im sure it it will make the release version sooner rather than later. When it does you should see an improvement in performance. How much memory does that 660M have?

One other thing, In time you should consider moving to a desktop for DCS. It is an investment both in time and in money but it is well worth it. Desktops are far more efficient in gaming than laptops and much better performing. (Due to Heat, and Power concerns).

That's exactly what I've done, I'm keeping it in borderless windowed mode. I'll think about moving to 1.5.

The 660M's memory is 1024MB GDDR5. It runs fine at medium details, the game maintains an average of about 40fps.

As for the desktop, I'm certainly thinking about buying one. That a desktop is much more efficient than a laptop is beyond question, for now it's just a question of gathering the funds to buy one. Thankfully I have a friend who could put one together for me, so I should be able to get a better deal than buying a ready made one. I would still need to buy all the ancillaries though (with the exception of my stick and mouse)... It's going to cost a pretty penny, but I'm sure it'll be worth it in the end.