Still only using 1.5 cores?

mdmasters

I'm running three screens with Nvidia 3D surround and 2 GTX780s. I got frustrated running DCSW 1.2 because my GPU's were running at around 70%-85%, but my frame rates were 13 - 22 apparently because I had one core maxed at 100% and a second (of four) core at around 50%, and that was capping performance. 3d on or 3d off made little difference. I recently installed the 1.5 Beta hoping for more performance, and after figuring out that I had to Alt-Enter to get to a true full full screen, my FPS improved, but I'm still only getting 25 - 40 FPS at best. I can turn up graphics and get GPUs to near 100%, or I can lower graphics and get GPUs down in the 70% range, but the frame rates do not change much. 3d on (which seems only to dim the screen and still display in 2d) or 3d off no difference. I'm still getting 1 core running at 100%, and the others doing not much of anything. I don't know how some of you guys are getting 60 - 100 FPS and 100% processor utilization. My specs are:

Win 8.1

16GB DDR3 Ram

2 x GTX780

I7 4770k at 3.5Ghz

three 27" screens at 1920x1080

using 3d vision surround

Graphics settings are medium - high, but doesn't seem to matter.

if CPU was bottenecking you'd have 60% and lower GPU usage...

Has already been long time stated, that 1.5/2.0 would not be multi-threaded further than 1 for sim, 1 for sound as it is in 1.2

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

I'm running three screens with Nvidia 3D surround and 2 GTX780s. I got frustrated running DCSW 1.2 because my GPU's were running at around 70%-85%, but my frame rates were 13 - 22 apparently because I had one core maxed at 100% and a second (of four) core at around 50%, and that was capping performance. 3d on or 3d off made little difference. I recently installed the 1.5 Beta hoping for more performance, and after figuring out that I had to Alt-Enter to get to a true full full screen, my FPS improved, but I'm still only getting 25 - 40 FPS at best. I can turn up graphics and get GPUs to near 100%, or I can lower graphics and get GPUs down in the 70% range, but the frame rates do not change much. 3d on (which seems only to dim the screen and still display in 2d) or 3d off no difference. I'm still getting 1 core running at 100%, and the others doing not much of anything. I don't know how some of you guys are getting 60 - 100 FPS and 100% processor utilization. My specs are:

Win 8.1

16GB DDR3 Ram

2 x GTX780

I7 4770k at 3.5Ghz

three 27" screens at 1920x1080

using 3d vision surround

Graphics settings are medium - high, but doesn't seem to matter.

You are clearly having a big issue, with just one 780 gtx i'm having a performance very close to 60 FPS except for some situations where it drops of 5 or 13 according to the config. I have to admit that i struggle to get 100% usage, except when i force it by maximizing everything (except DoF and Civic traffic, both off), including trees and bushes range. I don't use 3d vision but i have only 8gb and a i5 2500k.

I'd suggest to try with one GTX 780 only, actually i'm very curious what will be the result, so please let me know.

Edited by xXNightEagleXx

I have tried turning both of these off. It does lower the GPU usage, but it doesn't change the frame rate, and one of my CPU cores is still pegged at 100%. Overall CPU usage is around 24%. Do you guys leave hyperthreading on? Mine is on, so my CPU meter shows 8 cores.

I have tried turning both of these off. It does lower the GPU usage, but it doesn't change the frame rate, and one of my CPU cores is still pegged at 100%. Overall CPU usage is around 24%. Do you guys leave hyperthreading on? Mine is on, so my CPU meter shows 8 cores.

In my case the i5-2500k doesn't offer the hyperthreading. Have you tried to run the game with only one video card? or at least disable the SLI feature?

Edited by xXNightEagleXx

It seems that you do not understand what determines fps in this chain of dependencies with a few variables. I will try to shade some light based on you reporting roughly 60 fps steady.

1: Your CPU determines the max fps ever to be achieved, REGARDLESS of your GPU

No GPU can render frames that arent pre-drawn by the CPU, aka arent there first place !

2: If your GPU is running at 100% then your CPU is fast enough to flood that particular card with the variables present ( D3D settings ) at that time. Your FPS are then limited by the GPU as it cannot use more data from the CPU, despite the CPU could do many more frames possibly...which apperently the GPU cant digest and thus throttles fps when reaching 99%.

Change D3D settings ( LOD, Scenery, resolution, etc.. ) to ease on the GPU if it runs at 100%. It should then produce more frames as it has less to do per frame.

That will work DOWN TO THE POINT where you reach the sweetspot where CPU and GPU somehow match with both running ~90-100%. That I would call a balanced system with no money wasted on a single link in the chain while forgetting another one.

It could well be that your D3D/Win-OS settings will not allow to render more than 60 ( the default value for Microsoft OS Desktop ) even in 3d Games, be it DX or OpenGL.

You must check your monitor capabilities, your Settings in Nvidia Panel and maybe elsewhere to assure your monitor will allow to be overwritten with frames it maybe cannot draw.

If your monitor has a refreshrate of 60Hz it makes plain no sense to render more, if it alllows more then yes. Flickering and tearing may occur or not, you gotta try and see.

( I mean, even if the 60Hz device allows to be run at 100Hz that is no good idea, only if it is capable of reproducing frames at that rate I`d go for it. You stress some components in there most useres arent aware of, I`d not do it )

To sum up: CPU-->GPU-->LCD dont forget the chain dependency involved.

Edited by BitMaster

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Thanks for al f the feedback here. I am coming late to the e1.5 game, and so I did read after posting this that the CPU limitations would remain. This morning I tried overclocking my CPU to 4.2Ghx, and my FPS jumped to the 40 - 60 range, and so clearly I was CPU limited. Now I will start turning on eye candy until my GPUs get near 100%. Then I have to get 3D working (which I see here that some folks have got working), and finally I have to get my BS@ upgrade working (which seems to be an unsolved problem). Then I'll be ready to start flying in the 1.5 world!

To sum up: CPU-->GPU-->LCD dont forget the chain dependency involved.

Actually the chain is HD/SSD -> Ram -> CPU -> GPU.

Obviously today HD provide enough performance for 99,9% of games out there (besides they are mostly used only during level loading), except for some games that regularly loads stuff from the hd (but it all depends on the method used) but even so the impact translate into small stutters.

The others have a major impact on the FPS and smooth feel and no matter what power you might have on the next chain step, if you don't solve the previous one you will not use all the power and as you say you will just waste money for an unbalanced system.

Edited by xXNightEagleXx

Rgr get a good after market cooler and get her to 4.6 you will be very happy. Yes to above understand fully! This sim honestly needs more core utilization in my opinion.

+1 i have to agree with this one. Unfortunately today CPU are no more single core oriented thus they are not made to perform well for single core application. If you want to take the best you need multi threading. However, it is really hard to work with multi threading is games (not impossible tho).

The bottleneck is CPU->RAM bus which in some cases destroys CPU intensive games/apps like our beloved sim. As soon as you overclok/upgrade CPU/RAM you'll instantly notice the performance gain in DCS, at least.

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

Thanks for al f the feedback here. I am coming late to the e1.5 game, and so I did read after posting this that the CPU limitations would remain. This morning I tried overclocking my CPU to 4.2Ghx, and my FPS jumped to the 40 - 60 range, and so clearly I was CPU limited. Now I will start turning on eye candy until my GPUs get near 100%. Then I have to get 3D working (which I see here that some folks have got working), and finally I have to get my BS@ upgrade working (which seems to be an unsolved problem). Then I'll be ready to start flying in the 1.5 world!

I don't know if that it would really help you but there are a couple of options that are more CPU demand. As manner effect whenever i low/disable them my performance jumps about 20-15 fps.

First of all mirror and civ traffic (disabled both and together restored 15 fps). Lately i lowered shadow to medium (minimum to keep cockpit shadows) and set on "flat terrain shadow", for last but not least water to medium.

With those options activated/maximized (that adds CPU load) i dip to 40 fps, instead when lowered/disabled i get 60 fps fixed no matter what.

Unfortunately in my case i'm clearly CPU bounded so no matter what, i can go further even if i overclock my GPU. My CPU just don't want to be overclocked, so i have to keep this because the next time i invest on computer i want to do it to buy the newest generation (which will come out next year) just to make sure to have something that will allow a smooth gameplay with the rift.

Update: I've just realized that i could push civ traffic to medium before i get any fps hit.

Edited by xXNightEagleXx

+1 i have to agree with this one. Unfortunately today CPU are no more single core oriented thus they are not made to perform well for single core application. If you want to take the best you need multi threading. However, it is really hard to work with multi threading is games (not impossible tho).

Not true at all, they perform just fine with single threaded apps. Multiple threads allow higher throughput; but there isn't a lot to be gained in gaming (or any real-time interactive sim) from multithreading.

Parts of games that are not timing-critical can be offloaded to other cores if they're available; for example the sound engine runs on another core.

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

Strange because I have an i 74790k ( stock) and a gtx 970 and i can run DCS1.5 with everything maxed out vsynced at 60 FPS and my cpu and GPu usage are < 20% with the A10-c at low-medium altitude

Wow! What RAM have you got - speed and Gb?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Intel i5 / 16gb RAM / Nvidia GeForce 1080Ti / Viewsonic 28" monitor / TM Warthog / TM Elite rudder pedals / TrackIR5

First flight sim: Psion 'Flight Simulator' (ZX Spectrum 48k)

• 1 year later...

Bottleneck GPU?

Hello,

guys, if you wouldn't mind and take a look to the attached screenshot ... do I guess right that my bottle neck is the graphics card?

dcs_tovipers_processor_usage.thumb.png.bfb1aa4b90d75ba740e95e4324a721b1.png

I am using my laptop a lot when I am on duty far away from home.

It is a HP Probook 6570b, with an

- Intel CORE i5 3320M CPU @2600 MHz

- 8 GB RAM

- ATI HD 7570M graphics card with 4 GB of Hypermemory

- Windows7 Professional 64-Bit

My ATI driver gives me the following hardware information:

Graphics Card Manufacturer Powered by AMD

Graphics Chipset AMD Radeon HD 7500M/7600M Series

Device ID 6841

Vendor ID 1002

Subsystem ID 17A9

Subsystem Vendor ID 103C

Revision ID 00

Graphics Bus Capability PQ Express 2.0

Maximum Bus Setting PQ Express 2.0x16

BIOS Version 013.012.000.041

BIOS Part Number BR42925.001

BIOS Date 2012/04/05

Memory Size 4830 MB

Memory Type HyperMemory

My ATI driver gives me the following software information:

Driver Packaging Version 15.20.1062.1004-150803al-187669C

Catalyst Version 15.7.1

Provider Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

2D Driver Version 8.01.01.1500

2D Driver File Path /REGISTRY/MACHINE/SYSTEM/ControlSetOOl/Control/CLASS/ {4D36E968-E325-llCE-BFCl-08002BE10318}/0000

Direct3D Version 9.14.10.01128

OpenG L Version 6.14.10.13399

Mantle Driver Version 9.1.10.0077

Mantle API Version Not Available

AMD Catalyst Control Center Version 2015.0804.21.41908

I set the graphics card to the very lowest settings that are available (*ugly*).

Is there any way of optimizing something?

I have selected the lowest settings via hand, but I cant reach any more than 30 frames, no matter what I do. Most of the time I have between 15 and 25.

Any ideas how to speed up, maybe via editing configs or similar?

Thanks in advance for any answer!

Kind regards,

TOViper

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

Pretty slow system for DCS, so 30fps is not bad at all.

How much dedicated VRAM has your AMD card? If it is ~2GB disable the hypermemory option which is allowing the gpu to use normal RAM as video memory.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

HP Probook 6750b with ATI HD 7570M -> not for DCS

Pretty slow system for DCS, so 30fps is not bad at all.

How much dedicated VRAM has your AMD card? If it is ~2GB disable the hypermemory option which is allowing the gpu to use normal RAM as video memory.

Thanks for you question.

I can't say for sure how much dedicated RAM it has, but since I dont have any options to influence the memory distribution (neither in the BIOS nor in the graphics settings of ATI's control panel), I have to consider its dedicated RAM, which in this case is good.

BUT (a big but ... :cry:):

What I recently read about this graphics card on this page

http://graphics-cards.specout.com/l/2386/AMD-Radeon-HD-7570M

is the following:

"GPU Specifications

The AMD Radeon HD 7570M has a GPU clock speed of 450 MHz, which is one of the slowest graphics cards still available on the market. Additionally, the AMD Radeon HD 7570M offers 400 Stream Units of stream processing, which is 320 Stream Units fewer than the average."

The main processor in my notebook would be OK, but the ATI is a pain in the a.. .

And by the way, I am driving the simulation at a resultion of 1280x720 ...

Kind regards,

TOViper

Edited by TOViper

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

Hello,

guys, if you wouldn't mind and take a look to the attached screenshot ... do I guess right that my bottle neck is the graphics card?

[ATTACH]159496[/ATTACH]

I am using my laptop a lot when I am on duty far away from home.

It is a HP Probook 6570b, with an

- Intel CORE i5 3320M CPU @2600 MHz

- 8 GB RAM

- ATI HD 7570M graphics card with 4 GB of Hypermemory

- Windows7 Professional 64-Bit

My ATI driver gives me the following hardware information:

Graphics Card Manufacturer Powered by AMD

Graphics Chipset AMD Radeon HD 7500M/7600M Series

Device ID 6841

Vendor ID 1002

Subsystem ID 17A9

Subsystem Vendor ID 103C

Revision ID 00

Graphics Bus Capability PQ Express 2.0

Maximum Bus Setting PQ Express 2.0x16

BIOS Version 013.012.000.041

BIOS Part Number BR42925.001

BIOS Date 2012/04/05

Memory Size 4830 MB

Memory Type HyperMemory

My ATI driver gives me the following software information:

Driver Packaging Version 15.20.1062.1004-150803al-187669C

Catalyst Version 15.7.1

Provider Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

2D Driver Version 8.01.01.1500

2D Driver File Path /REGISTRY/MACHINE/SYSTEM/ControlSetOOl/Control/CLASS/ {4D36E968-E325-llCE-BFCl-08002BE10318}/0000

Direct3D Version 9.14.10.01128

OpenG L Version 6.14.10.13399

Mantle Driver Version 9.1.10.0077

Mantle API Version Not Available

AMD Catalyst Control Center Version 2015.0804.21.41908

I set the graphics card to the very lowest settings that are available (*ugly*).

Is there any way of optimizing something?

I have selected the lowest settings via hand, but I cant reach any more than 30 frames, no matter what I do. Most of the time I have between 15 and 25.

Any ideas how to speed up, maybe via editing configs or similar?

Thanks in advance for any answer!

Kind regards,

TOViper

Its laptop dont expect efficiciency of PC in such tiny case. Remember there is problem with heat dissipation. Almost all notebooks after playing to long or playing demanding titles are adjusting clock speeds to not overheat.

Your CPU is 5 years old. So dont expect to much from it.

The problem is also the graphic card... Its Radeon and their memory is basicly your RAM. The speed of graphic card is limited by your RAM. In most notebooks RAM is slow, low voltage. U can't by pass it. They are made to be mobile and alow you to play something.

So in general... It's old notebook with outdated hardware. It would be impossible to pull out more than 30 i think.

Tips:

1. CLean registry

2. Stop programms running in background

3. Clean fan system

4. Replace thermalcompund on gpu/cpu

5. Turn fancyfeatures off.

1. CLean registry

2. Stop programms running in background

3. Clean fan system

4. Replace thermalcompund on gpu/cpu

5. Turn fancyfeatures off.

Thanks for the information & tips given!

1. done

2. done

3. hmm... never thought of it ... will take care about

4. didnt ever thought of replacing this, but since it is an old laptop, I think it is not worth it.

5. I didnt install Win10, ... :lol:

In fact I turned off the Aero Desktop and all other fancy things, my desktop now looks like the good old Win2000 desktop, which I like :D

When flying in higher altitudes, I get around 35 frames, when on ground - depending on the airport and aircraft in sight - around 20. For testing purposes and mission building, as well as weapons training missions this is enough, and I also dont use the laptop for online gaming.

my computer: