MiG-15: No ARK setup in Mission Editor

Tarres

In DCS Beta 1.5 update2 the ARC-5 tab for setting the presets is not present in the ME.

This was done on purpose. In 1.5, the ARC-5 now works closer to real life. As far as I understand it, the switches on the left panel select different frequency ranges (bands) instead of tuning individual frequencies. The ARC-5 doesn't have the ability to save preset frequencies.

1338 - beyond leet

ED Forum rules EN|DE|RU

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
This was done on purpose. In 1.5, the ARC-5 now works closer to real life. As far as I understand it, the switches on the left panel select different frequency ranges (bands) instead of tuning individual frequencies. The ARC-5 doesn't have the ability to save preset frequencies.

It would be nice if you post some simple (few points) instruction concerning "new" ARC-5 operations. 4 eg. DCS Senaki AB have 2 NDBs, far 156 and near 129. 156 is easy to tune, but I am not sure if it is even possible to tune ARC-5 to 129MHz?

Ok. thanks Derelor.

Any info for the correct use of these "frequency ranges"?

Seriously, is there any documentation on what exactly these changes were and how to use the ARK-5 as it's currently implemented?

It would be nice if you post some simple (few points) instruction concerning "new" ARC-5 operations. 4 eg. DCS Senaki AB have 2 NDBs, far 156 and near 129. 156 is easy to tune, but I am not sure if it is even possible to tune ARC-5 to 129MHz?

Sorry for the late answer, I had to request the info myself (unfortunately I don't understand Russian to read the original documentation myself).

The ARC-5 has a frequency range of 150 - 1300 kHz, divided into three sub-ranges:

1. 150 - 310 kHz

2. 310 - 640 kHz

3. 640 - 1300 kHz.

Note that receiving the second Senaki NDB (f = 129 kHz) with the ARC-5 is impossible, because 129 kHz is outside of the ARC-5 receiving range of 150-1300 kHz.

The ARC-5 contains an electrical motor for switching between the three frequency sub-ranges.

Electrical motor control depends on the setting of the NEAR-FAR NDB switch:

1. When the NEAR-FAR NDB switch is set to FAR, sub-ranges can be switched by rotating the three-position frequency band switch on the ARC-5 panel.

2. When the NEAR-FAR NDB switch is set to NEAR, sub-ranges can be switched by the three NDB switches 1-3 on the near NDB frequency range control panel (and not by the three-position frequency band switch).

The flight manual has to be edited to reflect this change.

Edited by derelor

1338 - beyond leet

ED Forum rules EN|DE|RU

Note that receiving the second Senaki NDB (f = 129 kHz) with the ARC-5 is impossible, because 129 kHz is outside of the ARC-5 receiving range of 150-1300 kHz.

Most other aircraft have this issue as well (having no radio capable of tuning to 129 kHz)

Sorry for the late answer, I had to request the info myself (unfortunately I don't understand Russian to read the original documentation myself).

The ARC-5 has a frequency range of 150 - 1300 kHz, divided into three sub-ranges:

1. 150 - 310 kHz

2. 310 - 640 kHz

3. 640 - 1300 kHz.

The ARC-5 contains an electrical motor for switching between the three frequency sub-ranges.

Electrical motor control depends on the setting of the NEAR-FAR NDB switch:

1. When the NEAR-FAR NDB switch is set to FAR, sub-ranges can be switched by rotating the three-position frequency band switch on the ARC-5 panel.

2. When the NEAR-FAR NDB switch is set to NEAR, sub-ranges can be switched by the three NDB switches 1-3 on the near NDB frequency range control panel (and not by the three-position frequency band switch).

The flight manual has to be edited to reflect this change.

I know this may seem confusing at first, but it becomes clearer if you think about it:

Back in the times when the ARC-5 was in use, the frequencies for far and near NDBs depended on one another: They were set with a specific spacing so that the difference between them was exactly equal to sub-range.

For example, look at Beslan airfield in DCS, which is actually set up this way:

• f(Near NDB) = 250 kHz (C, -.-.)
  • f(Far NDB) = 1050 kHz (CX, -.-. -..-)

The two frequencies are on different sub-ranges, but they can be tuned with the same position of the tuning crank:

1. Far NDB

• Near-Far NDB Switch: Far
  • ARC-5 Frequency Band Switch: Right (= Band 3, 640-1300 kHz)
  • Tuning Crank to 1050 kHz

2. Near NDB

• Near-Far NDB Switch: Near
  • Near-NDB Frequency Range Switch #1: ON (= Band 1, 150-310 kHz)
  • IMPORTANT: Tuning Crank can stay at same position as before.

When a pilot comes in for a landing, he wants to switch from FAR to NEAR NDB as fast as possible - ideally without his right hand leaving the control stick. This can be done in the MiG-15 in the following manner:

• Before takeoff, the pilot sets 1050 kHz on the 3rd sub-range (with Near-Far NDB Switch in FAR position) and enables the Near-NDB Frequency Range Switch #1 on the left panel.
  • After passing the far NDB, he can just switch to the near NDB at 250 kHz by moving the Near-Far NDB Switch from FAR to NEAR with his left hand (still holding the stick in his right hand).

This way the pilot can concentrate on the landing instead of complicated radio tuning. I hope it makes sense now.

• Like 2

1338 - beyond leet

ED Forum rules EN|DE|RU

Thanks for the confirmation Derelor.

Reading about it, this system is quite standard for the ARK- series. The only differences are the change from manual tune of the ARK-5 to the "preset" system of the ARK-10, -15 and -22 and the increased number of "bands" in the ARK-10 and ARK-15.

But it´s the same principle, for example the ARK-10 works with the "inner"-"pushbuttons" and the "outer"-"bands", so the pilot only have to change the selector "inner-outer" to the desired position. According to the real manual, pilots set the desired outer (landing airport, selector) and inner (take off airport, pushbuttons) and only have to change the "inner-outer" selector

On a side note, maybe the Senaki outer it´s a bug because its frequency is outside the frequency range of the NDB stations (150-1300)

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...