Micro Stutters while using Peripherals

I have an interesting problem with DCS World that I'll try to explain as best I can.

I first installed DCS World 1.2 at the request of a friend. I installed the game on this machine:

Windows 8.1 x64

Gigabyte G1. Sniper B6 Motherboard

GTX 970 Asus Strix 4GB

Intel I5-4590

120 PNY XLR8 SSD

16GB G. Skill Ripjaw

600w Corsair CX600M PSU

Logitech 3D Pro Extreme joystick

Saitek X52 throttle

TrackIR4

Once I tried playing, I would constantly get micro stutters every couple of seconds (regardless what graphic settings I had it on). I tried multiple suggestions from different forums (pretty sure I've read EVERY performance issue thread). After working on it for a couple of months, I could never get it working. I waited a while to try again after I upgraded to Windows 10. Same issue. Even after upgrading my CPU to an Intel I7-4790k, the issue still persists. I decided to wait until DCS World 1.5 released to see if that hopefully fixed the issue. Once it came out a couple of days ago, I installed it on my machine and am still having the same issues. Wanting to make 100% sure it wasn't a software issue, I clean installed Windows 10 on my SSD and ONLY installed my GPU drivers and the game still stutters every couple of seconds. Finally, I found what I think is the issue though. If I launch the game without my stick and throttle, it runs fine. Perfect even. Plug just the stick in or just the throttle, stutters like crazy. I even recently tried it with an Xbox controller and it still stutters. So I've tried multiple operating systems, multiple GPU drivers, 2 different CPUs and the only thing I can come up with is the peripherals.

Here is my current build:

Windows 10 PRO x54

Gigabyte G1. Sniper B6 motherboard

Intel I7-4790k

GTX 970 Asus Strix 4GB

16GB G.Skill Ripjaws

120GB PNY XLR8 SSD

600W Corsair CX600M PSU

Logitech 3D PRO Extreme joystick

Saitek X52 throttle

TrackIR4

I hope I have explained this well enough and I really appreciate you guys taking the time to read this short novel I've posted.

Thanks,

FZ3RO

I don't understand your Q. really. You know it's the joystick. So updating that is the key.

What are you asking?

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.

Same issue here (Sorry for bad english)

i7 4790k 16gb DD3

Samsung 840 pro SSD

XFX Radeon 7850HD OC 2gB

Saitek X52 Pro

TrackIR 5

Disregarding the graphics settings, I'm getting micro stutters every 5 or 6 seconds. CPU never goes above 40% and GPU over 35%, GPU mem use (in medium settings) goes to 1.6gb. When the micro stutters occur, the CPU usage goes DOWN, like inverted spikes.

I have tried LALT-ENTER for real full screen, vsync on and off, anything from low to high settings, the Mustang mod, and so...

I don't know what to try now...

Many thanks

PD. Most of the micro stutters ocurr when looking to the side of the canopy (?) (I use MIG21bis and F-86 Sabre). Out of the stutters, the game is smooth as butter

-- Ryzen 7 2700X / 16gB DDR4 2666 / HP ex920 1tB SSD NVME / GeForce GTX1080ti / HOTAS Warthog / TrackIR 5--

I don't understand your Q. really. You know it's the joystick. So updating that is the key.

What are you asking?

It isn't the "joystick". It's any controller type peripheral being used other than the mouse and keyboard. My question is, since i guess it wasn't already obvious, is if anyone has seen this issue and knows of a fix...

All of my drivers are up to date.

Same issue here (Sorry for bad english)

i7 4790k 16gb DD3

Samsung 840 pro SSD

XFX Radeon 7850HD OC 2gB

Saitek X52 Pro

TrackIR 5

Disregarding the graphics settings, I'm getting micro stutters every 5 or 6 seconds. CPU never goes above 40% and GPU over 35%, GPU mem use (in medium settings) goes to 1.6gb. When the micro stutters occur, the CPU usage goes DOWN, like inverted spikes.

I have tried LALT-ENTER for real full screen, vsync on and off, anything from low to high settings, the Mustang mod, and so...

I don't know what to try now...

Many thanks

PD. Most of the micro stutters ocurr when looking to the side of the canopy (?) (I use MIG21bis and F-86 Sabre). Out of the stutters, the game is smooth as butter

You're definitely having the exact same issue I'm having! Same GPU and CPU usage drops and everything. I've tried a TON of things and nothing has helped.

I would buy a better PSU..

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

I occasionally have micro-stutters in every program if I have a lot of background, hard-drive access.

You could look at that, since everything else seems to be ok.

You might also check to see if your USB controllers are powering-down; I think the W10 default sets that behavior to 'on' in the power-saving section. That seems a possibility, since only USB devices are causing the problem.

Edited by Oldguy
add info

I occasionally have micro-stutters in every program if I have a lot of background, hard-drive access.

You could look at that, since everything else seems to be ok.

You might also check to see if your USB controllers are powering-down; I think the W10 default sets that behavior to 'on' in the power-saving section. That seems a possibility, since only USB devices are causing the problem.

Interesting point.

The power down should only happen if the device isn't used after a certain amount of time. This being the intention and possibly not the result of the setting, so it is worth a check.

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.

• 6 months later...
Thanks for the suggestions guys! I'll check on the USB power setting. I'll update accordingly.

If someone has more suggestions though, let me know.

Thanks!

I am having exactly the same problem and it drives me crazy. (I am using a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro). I really want to play DCS but this peripheral stutter issue completely ruins the gaming experience. I am at the point of giving up.

I tried everything but couldn't find any solutions. Looks like it has been a while since your last post. Could you find a solution to your problem? If so, please share.

I am having exactly the same problem and it drives me crazy. (I am using a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro). I really want to play DCS but this peripheral stutter issue completely ruins the gaming experience. I am at the point of giving up.

I tried everything but couldn't find any solutions. Looks like it has been a while since your last post. Could you find a solution to your problem? If so, please share.

You don't want to update to a higher quality stick?

Your not a very helpful person are you??

he is making a a serious suggestion for you to consider, and if you read through the various sub boards, he is a most helpful person and quite ( more times than not ) often comes up with the correct solution

take a step back and give the suggestions a good think through

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

• 4 years later...

I have the same issue with my X52. The second i unplug it stops stuttering. Plug it in and i get frametime spikes every 1-2 seconds. The is the THE only game that does this. I don't have $800 to drop in a warthog in hopes that it fixes this.

I appreciate the quick responses but unfortunately I already have the hot plug option in my config file. Also I believe the latest update put that button right in the control settings. I've also tried the trick in hardware where you tell windows not to turn off usb to save power. This is super frustrating. I do use an external powered USB hub because my Asus x570 board doesn't natively support the old USB standards, but I think is is common for X52/6 users. Again no issues in any other sim 😞 

The microstutters with a certain period testify that your hard disk gonna die.

DCS doing a little precashe allways, no matters how much RAM do you have, even if you have 64GB it is still reading something form the drive.

To reduce the suffering, you can disable the swap file on the disk where the DCS installed. (well this is not the way to disable reading but at least the way to disable writing which happens too)

Edited by prok

★★★ 🇷🇺 ★★★

I have an NVME and SATA drive, and i have tried installing on both. The only thing I haven't tried is installing windows on the SATA drive, but I really don't think that's the issue since its directly related to the hotas hardware. i also figured out that with the hotas plugged in, if do nothing - (no inputs) the framtime is stable. Its not until i start stick or throttle or button inputs. Even with the stick plugged in if i fly with the keyboard there are no stutters. I wish I had different joystick hardware to try. I tried connecting my xbox one controller via USB but I cant get windows to recognize it.

I think there's a chance your USB hub is causing this.

By the way, I don't understand your sentence: "I do use an external powered USB hub because my Asus x570 board doesn't natively support the old USB standards". You should be able to use your X52 without any USB hub. Your X570 motherboards is equiped with 8 rear USB 3.0 slots, but I assume it comes with a USB 2.0 ports bracket. Do you have it installed?

Edited by Flappie

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

I actually have tried 2 different powered usb 2.0 hubs with no difference. On this board, the manual specifically states that all usb 2 and 3 ports are controlled by the xHCI controller - and the bios has no option to disable that. That seems to be a fix with people having issues with the X52/56 stuff - although it reverts all ports to usb 2.0 speeds. Without a powered external port a lot of newer PCs won't even recognize that these are plugged in. FSX, 2020, IL2, squadrons all work fine.

Well - 

I formatted and did a fresh install of windows on my 7200 SATA drive and it works fine. SOOO I did the same on my m.2 drive thinking i just needed a clean install. Installed windows, video and MB drivers, steam and DCS - same stuttering.