[CLOSED, OUT OF SCOPE FOR OLD MAP] Water still rendering at sea level in rivers

Aeroscout

I thought this was supposed to be fixed as per

I checked the rivers and lakes near Krasnador, and they seemed fine.

http://imgur.com/a/AktPL

I know this isn't fishing simulator (as someone oh-so-kindly reminded me years ago) but this is incredibly frustrating for helo pilots.

DCS Wishlist: 1) FIX THE DAMN RIVERS!!! 2) Spherical or cylindrical panorama view projection. 3) Enhanced input options (action upon button release, etc). 4) Aircraft flight parameter dump upon exit (stick posn, attitude, rates, accel, control volume, control-surface positions, SAS bias, etc). 5) ADS-33 maneuver courses as static objects. 6) Exposed API or exports of trim position and stick force for custom controllers. 7) Select auto multiple audio devices

It hasn't been an issue for all water bodies NOT connected to the Black Sea for some time. However the Inguri and the other (forgot its name) still have the problem. The information from that video is relevant to Nevada.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

That's disappointing. I've been away for a while, so I guess I missed that it was corrected for unconnected bodies of water. This is something I was very excited about seeing corrected entirely. I hope it is fixed some day.

Edited by Aeroscout

DCS Wishlist: 1) FIX THE DAMN RIVERS!!! 2) Spherical or cylindrical panorama view projection. 3) Enhanced input options (action upon button release, etc). 4) Aircraft flight parameter dump upon exit (stick posn, attitude, rates, accel, control volume, control-surface positions, SAS bias, etc). 5) ADS-33 maneuver courses as static objects. 6) Exposed API or exports of trim position and stick force for custom controllers. 7) Select auto multiple audio devices

I'm sorry, but I don't get it. Is water not supposed to render at sea level in rivers?

Or is this a similar issue to the gravity defying water present in rise of flight's harbours?

I've been away for a while....

This is a remnant from the days of lockon 1.0, and t's really hard to understand from a screenshot.

See this picture: http://imgur.com/cHoks8E

The sea-level water plane is continued to infinity; it is always rendered, even if it's below the terrain. Small rivers are accomplished by laying down a strip with textures and a reflective surface, and for the most part, it works fairly well. This can't be used for larger rivers, however. So, instead, someone thought it would be a good idea to simply rip a hole in the terrain so that you could see the water lying below. It's pretty simple solution, and is fine for a still screenshot, but if you're moving it creates a HORRIBLE parallax effect, especially if you're low, compromising your depth perception. Back in the lockon days, I could accept this. We were flying jets and didn't spend much time down low. However, IMO, as soon as Ka-50 was released, this should have been fixed. I brought this up before somewhere in these forums a long time ago and someone told me I should ignore it because "it's not fishing simulator." It's an example of one of the many reasons I don't frequent the forums or indeed the flight sim community much anymore.

• Like 1

Very good point and explanation, Aeroscout.

Even with all the fixed wing that rendering trick is awfully disturbing while flying low and it fails to give us the visual distance/altitude reference.

It also does not depict flowing water correctly (deep sea water is quite different from a river).

The appropriate tech for that was probably low on the tasks priorities and that's understandable but it's still disturbing in the Black Sea map.

/// ВКБ: GF Pro MkII+MCG Pro/GF MkII+SCG L/Black Mamba MkIII/Gladiator/T-Rudder MkII | X-55 Rhino throttle/Saitek Throttle Quadrant | OpenTrack+UTC /// ZULU +4 ///

/// "THE T3ASE": i9 9900K | 64 GB DDR4 | RTX 2080ti OC | 2 TB NVMe SSDs, 1 TB SATA SSD, 12 TB HDDs | Gigabyte DESIGNARE mobo ///

The general effect of the water (scaling and shape of the waves) is way off as well, but until we actually have to visually judge sea state for landing on a carrier, I don't think that's as important. It's a good point though.