canopies don't cast shadows at all

Aginor

I understand what Aginor is saying - and I noticed the same. Basically, in real life, even though a canopy is made up from plexiglas or similar, see-through materials, it will still cast a shadow.

However, in DCS (and this is the case in older DCS versions, too), the canopy seems invisible and thus does not cast a shadow. Only the canopy frame casts a shadow.

As an example, the attached photo shows the shadow of a canopy including the plexiglas part. That would be more realistic in DCS as well.

• Like 1

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Exactly what I mean:

If you google pictures of planes on static display you notice that their canopy plexiglass casts a shadow. That is not the case in DCSW.

I attached a picture of an F-15C.

And here some links to real planes:

http://airshowstuff.com/v4/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/MG_0315a_WM.jpg

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/9THbbofiwYY/maxresdefault.jpg

In both cases the canopy glass casts a shadow.

castnoshadow.thumb.png.e60cc6b375639e81783afe0eff2cf845.png

• 5 months later...

Technically, Canopies don't cast shadows, they attenuate the light shining thru them which makes the area appear to be shadowed.

:music_whistling:

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Would be really bad I guess, and also pointless since the player probably won't notice anyway.

That's another reason to handle it just like a shadow with half opacity which is what most games do I assume.

EDIT:

I don't know how transparent materials work in the DCSW engine right now though, so it might actually be hard to implement. Would be interesting to have a developer tell us about it though. (not likely to happen, I know, but it would still be cool. :) )

Edited by Aginor

• 3 months later...