DCS World 1.5 and 2.0 Discussion

NineLine

Is there a basic summary of V1.x version V2.x? The thread is a bit long to rummage through.

* Any gotcha's for upgrading?

* Does the steam key for V1.x work with 2.0 out-of-steam install?

* Major/minor pros

* Major/minor cons

?

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1.5 is EDGE w/ Caucasus, T3 Engine

2.0 is EDGE w/ NTTR, T4 Engine

Keys work on Both,

1.5 will be Phased out once Caucasus is converted to T4 Engine.

2.0 hasnt gotten any updates in a a few weeks.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Currently Caucasus only works in 1.5, which is why there is 2 Versions.

As for the Differences between T3 and T4, it's all under the hood stuff.

Once Caucasus is finished being converted to T4, you wont need 2 different installs anymore, 2.x will be all you need.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

I am not trying to make it seem as though you should be grateful, I am actually being factual.

Like I said "We have a free map which is being upgraded to edge T4"

Yeah, but the map has to be updated anyway so they can have a DCSW 2.0 release with a free map which is essential for the sim (so the people can try it out, fly their modules, etc.). Furthermore, as far as I understand, it's not being "upgraded" per se, but made compatible with the 2.0 terrain engine.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

And I disagree, having a free base game draws new players in, allows them to dip their toe's into our sim which can only be a good thing

Ironically we've had similar threads in the past where the majority disagree with that stance. I think most of the DCS player base doesn't care about new players, especially those with little flight sim experience. Most seem to indicate they will ruin DCS and their personal experience, and that casual players who will only give DCS a try via free content won't stay around and/or are cheapskates.

And while a free base game is good, it isn't very free when you have to buy AI units, terrian texture upgrades, weather or other small items as they get upgraded. The whole concept initially was to receive updates while paying for the aircraft modules. But if every little update is going to cost money then we may as well get charged up front. It is less of a hassle both from a developer and customer (managing the DRM for so many upgrades) and we'll all be on the same page. And I'd rather just pay once over paying for micro (or macro?) transactions.

• Like 2

• ED Team
I think most of the DCS player base doesn't care about new players, especially those with little flight sim experience.

I really dont believe that, and even if that is even remotely true, that would be a sad state. All interaction with new players (on these forums at least) has been good and welcoming for the most part on both sides.

Making the game open for new players to get a taste is the best approach, especially in a sim that has modules like the A-10 that are so hard to grasp. I had a couple friends purchase the A-10 back and the day and end up under the desk in the fetal position. Having a way to ease in and see what its all about is incredibly important.

And while a free base game is good, it isn't very free when you have to buy AI units, terrian texture upgrades...

The base game is free, AI units are free, base textures allowing you to play the sim with no purchase is free... DCS World with two aircraft is free... you can get into the game free. Dont try to colour it any different because its simply not true. I can count so many other games out there I wish had this option to find out I am not interested in them.

• Like 1

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Yeah, but the map has to be updated anyway so they can have a DCSW 2.0 release with a free map which is essential for the sim (so the people can try it out, fly their modules, etc.). Furthermore, as far as I understand, it's not being "upgraded" per se, but made compatible with the 2.0 terrain engine.

That's a question I have been curious about for a while. A friend of mine claims that the Caucasus map is being completely reworked, with everything being brought up to Nevada standards. My understanding has been that that's not the case, that the Caucasus map merely gets made compatible with Nevada, and will more or less look and feel the same as it does now. Who of us is right?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel Core I7 4820K @4.3 GHz, Asus P9X79 motherboard, 16 GB RAM @ 933 MHz, NVidia GTX 1070 with 8 GB VRAM, Windows 10 Pro

I am not trying to make it seem as though you should be grateful, I am actually being factual.

Like I said "We have a free map which is being upgraded to edge T4"

I don't see a problem with playing online, and I do not think having a different texture would effect compatibility either.

And I disagree, having a free base game draws new players in, allows them to dip their toe's into our sim which can only be a good thing

This! I would have never found DCS if it wasn't free, and then I never would have bought anything from ED.

"Long life It is a waste not to notice that it is not noticed that it is milk in the title." Amazon.co.jp review for milk translated from Japanese

"Amidst the blue skies, A link from past to future. The sheltering wings of the protector..." - ACE COMBAT 4

"Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight"-Psalm 144:1 KJV

i5-4430 at 3.00GHz, 8GB RAM, GTX 1060 FE, Windows 7 x64

That's a question I have been curious about for a while. A friend of mine claims that the Caucasus map is being completely reworked, with everything being brought up to Nevada standards. My understanding has been that that's not the case, that the Caucasus map merely gets made compatible with Nevada, and will more or less look and feel the same as it does now. Who of us is right?

There has never been an official statement that the Caucasus map will be completely reworked.

PC:

6600K @ 4.5 GHz, 12GB RAM, GTX 970, 32" 2K monitor.

This! I would have never found DCS if it wasn't free, and then I never would have bought anything from ED.

me too :music_whistling:

Dell U2715H 27" IPS 2560x1440 / 60 Hz; Ryzen 7 7700x; 32gb DDR5 6400; B650M Aorus Pro; Water Cooler Arctic liquid freezer II 280

Personally I had already bought the Ka50 and the A10C before it became DCS World + Modules.
I think you'll find that's the case for a large number of members.

Can anyone recall when DCS:W was released? I want to say it was in late 2009. We have come a long way since the creation of this sandbox. :)

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

According to this, it was 2008:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Combat_Simulator

But I have doubts.

I just looked at my Black Shark receipt email and it's dated 2009 - and that was out long before DCS World. I didn't buy it straight away, though - I waited for a sale, but still...

Bought the A-10C in 2011 for full price. There's no mention of DCS World on the receipt at all.

Edited by Brixmis

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

Can anyone recall when DCS:W was released? I want to say it was in late 2009. We have come a long way since the creation of this sandbox. :)

2012: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=86848

And in May 2012 we had the first DCS World GUI: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=88733

DCS A-10C was in beta from late 2010 (Released: 21st. Feb. 2011)

Edited by mwd2

Playing: F-16C

Intel i7-13700KF, 64GB DDR5 @5600MHz, RTX 4080 ZOTAC Trinity, WIN 11 64Bit Prof.

Squadron "Serious Uglies" / Discord-Server: https://discord.gg/2WccwBh

Ghost0815

LMAO!! 4 years?? Why does it seem longer??

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

Windows 10 Professional

I think that's because it didn'T feel like a big step for many users, especially those that were flying the A-10C before. The first version of DCSW felt almost the same as the last BS1 and last A-10C versions.

You guessed 2009 because that was when Black Shark was released.

You have pretty much nailed it Aginor! :D

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

Windows 10 Professional

And the first BS traces its roots to Lock On which was released in 2003. I think we still have some 3D models from the even older Flanker games.

Evolution, not revolution ;)

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

LMAO!! 4 years?? Why does it seem longer??

18 Major releases w/ at least 40 sub releases between 1.1.2.1 and 1.2.6 alone is prolly why,

Then when you look at what was added for each major update, it was a long journey.

Yeah, both in good and bad ways.

Sometimes I get depressed reading stuff we posted years back, because some important stuff that was "planned" back then is still not in sight now, or still only "planned", but then I see that at least other things are now reality.

Not necessarily those I would call important, but I guess that's the way life goes. Put some bourbon in your coffee cup and the problems go away.

I still hope for 2.5 to bring at least some new goodies for the simulation environment.

Happy Friday everyone!!! DCS 2.0.2 Changelog is a welcomed site and looks nice!! :thumbup:

Edited by Raven68

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

Windows 10 Professional