How many modules are you REALLY proficient at?

Pizzicato

How many modules are you REALLY proficient at?  

408 members have voted

1. 1. How many modules are you REALLY proficient at?

• 5+
    • ALL OF THE MODULES!!!

I'm reasonable with a few of the modules. No way I would claim to be good.

I do love learning the systems. I can do manual startups for many of the modules.

I don't have the time to master anything, but I love jumping into the different frames and having a go.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm one of those guys that has to buy every module the moment it goes on pre-sale, but I'm rapidly finding that (unsurprisingly) I can't stay current on more than a couple at a time.

At the moment, in fact, the only module that I'm totally comfortable with is the Ka-50.

Beyond that, I could probably get up to speed again pretty quickly with the UH-1, Mi-8 and Su-27, but I definitely couldn't claim that I could just jump into one of them and go.

So what about you guys? How many aircraft are you really good at and which ones are they?

Me, too. I do best sticking with one or two aircraft at a time. I have most of the available inventory and have gotten a working knowledge of each. But if I am away too long I start forgetting what I have learned.

Ka-50 is my main ride, then the FW-190.

I will not be purchasing all that becomes available. Just too much to keep up with. I am interested in the Spit and the F-18. There is a new helicopter coming along slowly by a 3rd party developer that looks like it will be fun.

I had the Warthog down couple years ago, but I have been away from it so long I will have to relearn it.

I'd say I spend 95% of my time in game in MP.

Edited by DieHard

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Not counting FC3 planes , i would say just the A-10C

i can do pretty much anything with the MiG21 , but not fluent enough to say i`m 'proficient' .

Haven't flown the Sabre in ages , i cant get a hang on the WW2 planes and no time to start learning the Hawk, C101 or the Mig17

and i just cant get around to learning even the basics of the KA50 and Mi8

IAF.Tomer

My Rig:

Core i7 6700K + Corsair Hydro H100i GTX

Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7,G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3000Mhz

Gigabyte GTX 980 OC

Samsung 840EVO 250GB + 3xCrucial 275GB in RAID 0 (1500 MB/s)

Asus MG279Q | TM Warthog + Saitek Combat Pedals + TrackIR 5

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

0 :(

I started with the P-51D a few months ago flying with a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro steering the rudder with the joystick twist and could get by marginally. Could always take off without issue, and land most of the time without crashing :pilotfly:.

Now I have a TH HOTAS and temporary Saitek Pro Fight Pedals I bought used, until I get the Slaw Device F-16 pedals I ordered in March, and I can't fly for the life of me anymore :joystick:.

Don't ask me why, but for as long as I can remember I assumed that pressing the left pedal would turn the rudder to the right and visa-versa, so I had to set the pedals to the inverse to get them working as I expected.

A couple of days ago I noted that while kicking the pedals that the in-cockpit pedals were doing the opposite :doh: so I turned of the inverse selection and have been trying to erase what I'd learned up to then :huh:.

Proficient? What's that? :wacko:

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

I've just reinstalled DCS after my PC died in Feb. I decided to wait for 2.0 before bothering to fix it and the summer is busy anyway...

So after a long break I find I've lost the delicate touch needed for the Mi 8 but it started to come back with some landing practice ( choose a spot and don't settle for 'nearly') Systems are pretty much a mystery again.

The 109 kicked my butt in 10/10 takeoff attempts. It was better after watching a video or two.

Ka-50 is as easy as it always was!

Own everything but the L-39, but only proficient at the WWII birds. I'm in it for the WWII experience mainly.

PC - 3900X - Asus Crosshair Hero VIII - NZXT Kraken 63 - 32 GB RAM - 2080ti - SB X-Fi Titanium PCIe - Alienware UW - Windows 10

Sim hardware - Warthog throttle - VKB Gunfighter III - CH Quadrant - Slaw Device Pedals - Obutto R3volution pit - HP Reverb G2 - 2X AuraSound shakers

All the choppers so far. so 3.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

Ka 50 and the Grach. Although I own every module out and pre-ordered everything to come. Only been playing for 4 months though.. I just hope someone brings out the Hun.

Edited by spaceraver

Anything with a Rotary Wing is fun and challenging.

Use SRS radio.

Saitek X55 Modding

System Specs

Mixed Metals: i7 4790K@4.6, 32GB Kingston HyperX ram@2400Mhz, Gigabyte GA-Z97MX Gaming 5, ASUS Vega 64, 3xSamsung SSD drives, FSP Aurum 1000W PSU, Custom watercooling with EK blocks, Vive, Virpil MT 50, X55 throttle.

Two in DCS, A-10C & Su25T and I also fly F-16 in Falcon BMS.

Mighty stop flying those three once F-18C drops... Although you can't beat the BMS campaigns.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

Only 3 for me:

1. A10C

2. SU25T/SU25

3. UH-1H

Of the three, its the A10C that I really have to put my mind to re-learning because of all the complexities (Coolie hat/DSMS/TMS/etc etc). Still though, nothing gives me more satisfaction than being able to employ the A10C well.

AMD AM4 Ryzen7 3700X 3.6ghz/MSI AM4 ATX MAG X570 Tomahawk DDR4/32GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600mhz/1TB 970 Evo SSD/ASUS RTX2070 8gb Super

I bought almost all modules but feel comfortable only in the first I bought A-10C. Planning to expand on some other module if I find enough free time.

But again, there is so much to learn about A-10C...

[B]*NOB* Lucky[/B] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Tko vrijedi leti, tko leti vrijedi, tko ne leti ne vrijedi

I have pretty much every model except the trainer (C101). Hell I even purchased FC3 twice!! (accidentally of course). I like jumping into the SU25T every now and then because its a simple a/c, and I can be airborne in about 1 min vs the A10C which takes about 5 mins. Having said that, I keep coming back to the A10.

AMD AM4 Ryzen7 3700X 3.6ghz/MSI AM4 ATX MAG X570 Tomahawk DDR4/32GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600mhz/1TB 970 Evo SSD/ASUS RTX2070 8gb Super

For me it's:

- A-10C

- UH-1H

- KA-50

- MiG-21

- FW 190

- BF 109

- P-51

I also own and fly the F-86F and I know it good enough for all common operations (startup, takeoff, landing, A-A, A-G) but I wouldn't say I've mastered it yet.

I also own CA, but haven't used it much but that will change, if ground warfare gets improved and especially when we'll get a fully simulated DCS-level ground vehicle.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Blackshark 2

FC3

A-10C

Combined Arms

I don't really like the 3rd party modules as they seem to remain in the Beta stage *FOREVER*

always missing features and remaining bugs never resolved. That may not be the case for all 3rd party modules, but that's my personal feeling about it.

Thinking about the L-39 which is not giving new flying challenges as the BS or A-10C in their times when they were released, and I doubt it will be available in public servers, so I won't take it.

Now the Mirage 2000-C release is something I'm thinking about, but it's doesn't have a designation pod, nor Fox3 missiles, the version of the Mirage Razbam chose doesn't allow it. So I'll be waitting for the release to see what people think of the flight model and weapon system.

L'important n'est pas de tuer, mais de survivre.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

if you read this you are too curious

All of FC3, A10C, Su25T, Ka50. Just getting behind the MiG21. Not too interested in most of the helos and jets to come out. Maybe the Mirage 2000. Really waiting for the F18, because the current engine prevent A2G radar, and once its done its going to open a lot of doors for 3rd party.

Edited by =Prophet=

In my case, A-10C. You did not specify how proficient is proficient so its subjective unless you can specify what areas of each craft is being spoken of here. I said A-10C. Basic airmanship, turns, combat employment, dogfighting, hovering. I bet there is a better categorisation of these domains.

IMO, to be really proficient at something, you must have basic skills, then build up upon that with overtime learning and practice. For example, in UH-1H, if you can do both coordinated climb and level acceleration, you are basically good. But if you can fly without looking at instruments and hit a particular for example, VVI, and maintain it, you are better, but if you know also that right turn takeoffs (and other specialty techniques) can within limits help in taking off with excess weight by sparing 3-5 RPMs to the main rotor from the anti-torque rotor, you are even better. Since we are in a simulation, and lack proprioceptive feedback (inner ear, vestibular balance, etc...), our proficiency can only be gauged by what we can do in the confines of DCS. That usually translates to understanding and applying these (from the back of my head, definitely many more):

1- basic airman skills (takeoff, landing, hovering in case of choppers)

2- procedural and techniques skills (HUD, systems, RWR)

3- weapons skills (Rmin, Rmax, Gmax, Guns, rockets, missiles, bombs, etc..)

4- situational awareness skills (RWR, SAM types, SAM ranges, WEZ, bandits capabilities,etc...)

You cant focus on more than one airframe and follow through till the end. So its best to pick one and see how manageable it is.

In Su-27, I always end up with negative pitch instability without touching ASC, but I wouldn't be there if I train and train more, and before that, know and know even more.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

This.

... You did not specify how proficient is proficient so its subjective unless you can specify what areas of each craft is being spoken of here...

IMO, to be really proficient at something, you must have basic skills, then build up upon that with overtime learning and practice...

Right now this thread just looks like people trying to name all the modules in DCS.

• Like 1

"Hard to imagine bigger engine. its got a beautiful face and an arse built like sputnik." - Pikey AKA The Poet, on 37 Viggen.