performance expectation on NEVADA

JABO2009

Well, it's true that your motherboard chipset is one of the ones with worst performances and overclock capability. Even taking this on account, I'll buy a new graphic card and try without make any more changes.

Also, your processor isn't a really fast one, so buy another motherboard for it is not worth the money. I recommend you to get a new gpu and try how it works your computer, and if DCS World didn't run fine you can save money and buy another CPU+Motherboard+RAM. How much RAM do you have actually ?

I have 4,0 GB RAM

Ok and your recommended R9 290 or a R9 390 are compatible with my mainboard, yes ?

I wish there was some online reference to look after which components are still compatible with my system ( PCI connectivity and so on )

Intel I7 - 10700 K @ 3,80GHz / 64 GB DDR3 / RTX 3090 / Win 10 Home 64 bit / Logitech X56 HOTAS / HP Reverb G2  

Running DCS on latest OB version 

Hi Jabo,

Your RAM is a bit low, but I recommend to stay with your 4 gigs until the 1.5 or 2.0 release in order to test your cpu performance. If your computer can't deal fine with the new engine and you decide to switch to another system, maybe your actual Ram is not compatible with that one, so better to wait and see..

R9 290 and 390 ( are the same cards with different bios ) are compatible with your system, but I recommend you to buy a 970 gtx from Nvidia. Why ? Because is one of the best card regarding price/performance, and we know how the drivers of AMD for DCS World are.. probably with the new engine the AMD cards run a lot better, but I have the same dilemma months ago and I choose a Nvidia for that reason, because if I spend the money and later the AMD drivers for DCS World are rubbish again ?

I like to go for the safe way in that case.

And to check the compatibility the fastest way is to google your mainboard model with the component you want, probably you find a lot of people who made the same question before, and people with that configuration.

Sorry if this has been asked already.

The top spec is for 16 GB of RAM, is this to allow more of the map to be loaded and hence reduce hard drive to RAM load delays?

Is there any other benefit with 16 GB of RAM?

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

Hi Jabo,

Your RAM is a bit low, but I recommend to stay with your 4 gigs until the 1.5 or 2.0 release in order to test your cpu performance. If your computer can't deal fine with the new engine and you decide to switch to another system, maybe your actual Ram is not compatible with that one, so better to wait and see..

R9 290 and 390 ( are the same cards with different bios ) are compatible with your system, but I recommend you to buy a 970 gtx from Nvidia. Why ? Because is one of the best card regarding price/performance, and we know how the drivers of AMD for DCS World are.. probably with the new engine the AMD cards run a lot better, but I have the same dilemma months ago and I choose a Nvidia for that reason, because if I spend the money and later the AMD drivers for DCS World are rubbish again ?

I like to go for the safe way in that case.

And to check the compatibility the fastest way is to google your mainboard model with the component you want, probably you find a lot of people who made the same question before, and people with that configuration.

many thx S-Gerat :thumbup:

yeah will get a new GPU and if it still sucks , I'll go for a whole new system maybe

Intel I7 - 10700 K @ 3,80GHz / 64 GB DDR3 / RTX 3090 / Win 10 Home 64 bit / Logitech X56 HOTAS / HP Reverb G2  

Sorry if this has been asked already.

The top spec is for 16 GB of RAM, is this to allow more of the map to be loaded and hence reduce hard drive to RAM load delays?

Is there any other benefit with 16 GB of RAM?

No, in fact the preload of the map depends how the engine handle it, I remember when in Arma 2 when I not own an SSD disk yet, I have a lot of RAM free, but the engine only put in memory a little part of the map,textures and models each time, so it must read all the time from the Hdd destroying the performance of the game. I solved that with creating a Ramdisk, using my Ram to create a virtual SSD, but today the most part of us have SSD's so we don't have this problem. The only problem is when we fill all the RAM, but didn't know how much RAM DCS uses, should take a look the next time I run it.

many thx S-Gerat :thumbup:

yeah will get a new GPU and if it still sucks , I'll go for a whole new system maybe

Let me know how it works mate :thumbup:

Ok guys, so after some more research about my system, I give my existing PC a try and upgrade it with more RAM and get a new GPU.

upgrade:

mainboard: extend it from 4GB RAM---> to 8GB RAM

and GPU change from 1 GB ATI HD 6850 to most probably an "GeForce GTX 970 WindForce 3X OC", as I actually get one at a quute good price here right now...

anyone having DCS experience with the above mentioned GPU-card?

Hi Jabo

That 970 is a very good choice. And for the memos.. wait.. I have 16 GB and never seen DCS consuming more than 3GB. Wait for the new engine, and if your CPU can handle it, then you can upgrade your memory..

I have followed some other performance related discusssions/threads and some said, that DCS occasionally can go up to using 12 GB main RAM in heavy traffic online scenarios. Very rare but can happen, so...

cause we have RAM quite cheaply available,nowadays, I'll upgrade my RAM to 8 or 12 GB for a few bucks and see if there is any noticeablke difference...

regarding GPU we will see.... but GTX970 is definatley on my Top 3 GPU wish list ...

I would say: If you have 8GB, keep it for now, most likely it will run just fine.

If you buy new RAM or a whole new PC anyway, go for 16.

And about the GPU: I would wait if you have 2GB VRAM or more, on a nVidia 7XX or later. The sim probably won't run perfect, but I am pretty sure it will run good enough for your first test flights. When DCSW 1.5 or 2.0 is released at some time in the future the GPUs will be more powerful and/or cheaper than now, and you can decide which one to buy.

I would say: If you have 8GB, keep it for now, most likely it will run just fine.

If you buy new RAM or a whole new PC anyway, go for 16.

And about the GPU: I would wait if you have 2GB VRAM or more, on a nVidia 7XX or later. The sim probably won't run perfect, but I am pretty sure it will run good enough for your first test flights. When DCSW 1.5 or 2.0 is released at some time in the future the GPUs will be more powerful and/or cheaper than now, and you can decide which one to buy.

thx Aginor,

I just upgraded my mainboard to 12 GB RAM today and most probably will get a new GPU anyway. I have currently ony 1 GB RAM on my ATI GPU...

As I just found out that my "old" Intel DH67BL motherboard supports PCI 2.0 connection speed, so it should run well with modern PCI 3.0 GPUs like GTX 970.. also my PC power supply of 650Watt should be sufficient for the GTX 970...

only issue of course is the price.. we'll see.