Using the gyro sight

Jacks

When using the gyro sight in the p-51 with the correct wingspan and range, I am right in thinking that I still need to give the target some 'lead' when going for a deflection shot.

Jacks

System Specs: i7 8700k @ 5.0GHz (not delidded), ASRock Extreme4 Z370 MOBO, EVGA GTX 1080 SC 8GB, 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz DDR4 RAM, Samsung Evo 240GB SSD, Samsung Evo 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Noctura NH-D15S Heat Sink, Acer VE278H 27" 1080p Monitor, Ocukus Rift CV1.

Controllers: TrackIR 5, Thrustmaster HOTAS X, Saitek Throttle Quadrant (with DIY removable collective mod), Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals.

Just trying to keep my number of takeoffs and landings equal!

When using the gyro sight in the p-51 with the correct wingspan and range, I am right in thinking that I still need to give the target some 'lead' when going for a deflection shot.

Jacks

Nope, if you have the wingspan and range correct, it will indeed hit where you aim. That said, remember that the wingtips should be inside an imaginary CIRCLE drawn through the 6 dots, and NOT through a hexagon drawn by connecting the dots with straight lines.

You also need a good, steady track. The pipper should not be drifting past the target, it should be steady on it or just BARELY creeping through the target.

That said, hits to the engine bay (at the front of the target aircraft) do tend to kill them faster than hitting at the wing roots.

I would think that the gyro sight is accurate providing that you're matching the same turn rate as the target. In the situation of making a snap shot where you're not following at the same Gs the sight can't know the speed of your target, it's not like it's getting a radar lock on it.

I'm assuming the sight shows where your bullets will go based upon information from your plane. But it can't read what your target is doing.

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

It works great against the AI which holds nice and steady for you. Human opponents do not often hold still long enough for the gyro to stabilize.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

Question to the more seasoned shooters: At what ranges (roughly) do you people start eyeballing it instead of relying on the gunsight? And within the gunsight range, I assume you adjust the gunsight distance to match the target and not the convergence of ~1100 feet? Or do you keep it straight on 1100-1000 and correct by tracers only? What range of play do I have with the gunsight? Problem is that, coming from CloD, I'm unsure as to how far I can trust the gyro sight at different ranges. I'm having trouble specifically when the target gets close to 200 yard as most of my guns now shoot above the gunsight it seems (I have to aim below the target to score hits. I'm assuming the gyro does not compensate for the lobbing trajectory of the bullets required by the long convergence distance?).

I tried different methods when aiming with the gyro sight:

- Leaving the distance set at 1100 ft and correct with tracer.

- Adjusting the distance continously when tracking the enemy, from 2000 to 600ft.

For me, both methods work, but I'm using the first one more.

The minimum distance you can set on the gunsight is 600ft, so if you're closer than that, the gyro won't work precisely.

@arglmauf I'd start I eye balling when really close and when so close i try to hit with either left or right wing guns. I think the guns are not setup for real in close shooting but rather from distance.You need to get the piper on the cockpit with the right range and you'll hit good.

Setup a simple mission with the AI give them no ammo and use unlimited ammo yourself and practice with the gunsight, the more relaxed we are the better shot, with the adrenaline

flowing in PvP we become twitchy.

What if your target is moving at speed right to left or vice versa across your sight (deflection shot), surely you still need to place the pipper ahead of the target, giving it lead, in order to score a hit.

Are there any rules of thumb as to how far ahead you need to aim?

System Specs: i7 8700k @ 5.0GHz (not delidded), ASRock Extreme4 Z370 MOBO, EVGA GTX 1080 SC 8GB, 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz DDR4 RAM, Samsung Evo 240GB SSD, Samsung Evo 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Noctura NH-D15S Heat Sink, Acer VE278H 27" 1080p Monitor, Ocukus Rift CV1.

Controllers: TrackIR 5, Thrustmaster HOTAS X, Saitek Throttle Quadrant (with DIY removable collective mod), Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals.

Just trying to keep my number of takeoffs and landings equal!

The manual say no. Basically if your aim is following a traversing target, you will have to be flying a curve. The faster the target is traversing the sharper the curve, the greater the giro aims your lead. Self-adjusting in all situations :thumbup:

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Unless you're flying straight, you're gonna have deflection shot and thats what the sight is for. If you have the right range and wingspan you are going to hit.

Yeah, problem being that right range and wingspan will be a rare occasion, situation being predominantly that the target isn't at 1100ft distance or passing through that point pretty quickly. How do people cope with this in regards to the gunsight was my question.

Yeah, problem being that right range and wingspan will be a rare occasion, situation being predominantly that the target isn't at 1100ft distance or passing through that point pretty quickly. How do people cope with this in regards to the gunsight was my question.

you set the wingspan and don't have to touch it again, range is on the throttle and you adjust as needed, I have my range on a slider on my X52 pro throttle

watch the video give you an idea...

There's a great article about deflection shooting over at SimHQ:

http://www.simhq.com/_air/air_031b.html

Edited by Nirvi

@Nirvi Thanks, but generally deflection shooting isn't a problem for me (at least in CloD:D)

@t4trouble That video was great and it kinda tells me what I was expecting. Basically, you only use the gyro at convergence range. I think there were only two instances in which you tried to readjust the gyro for the target (1:22 for example), most other shots you eyeballed it outside of convergence, basically using the center crosshair and the gyro circle as two extreme points inbetween which the correct lead point has to be (there were some nice examples 3:03, 4:38.) I caught myself doing that sometimes and I wondered whether that's the way to go or whether I'm using the gyro sight wrong.

Edited by arglmauf

• 7 months later...
... basically using the center crosshair and the gyro circle as two extreme points inbetween which the correct lead point has to be.

Thanks for confirming my thinking on this. Selecting both gyro and fixed sight, with the fixed sight ring switched off, seems to be the best solution, logically speaking.

i7-9700k overclocked to 4.9ghz, RTX 2070 Super, 32GB RAM, M.2 NVMe drive, HP Reverb G2 version 2, CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle, Pro Pedals, and a Logitech Throttle Quadrant

Thanks for confirming my thinking on this. Selecting both gyro and fixed sight, with the fixed sight ring switched off, seems to be the best solution, logically speaking.

That is my preferred method for using the gyro sights and allows for some accurate ranged shots.

A relatively good example from an older video at 1:27

1000ft is correct

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

i7-9700k overclocked to 4.9ghz, RTX 2070 Super, 32GB RAM, M.2 NVMe drive, HP Reverb G2 version 2, CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle, Pro Pedals, and a Logitech Throttle Quadrant

I set 1,100ft and don't touch it again. 109: 33ft wing span, FW: 34ft wingspan. Set it to either and don't worry about it again. I rarely shoot beyond 1,100ft, but if I end up in close, the gyro is useless and I change to the stationary gun site.

Scenario: I'm closing on a bandit's 6, I have the gyro set. I'm set to get the most rounds on tgt when the wingspan confirms I'm at the 1,100ft range. If the fight turns into a duel, the gun site goes to stationary and I determine my own deflection shooting.

V