HOTAS Warthog Slew Control Mod

Hi folks!

I would like to share with you a complete tutorial I've done to enhance the HOTAS Warthog Slew Control (you know… yeah… this crap) thanks to a 3D modeled new cursor I've modeled and get printed.

I'm also providing the 3D file to you guys.

Here's the article URL, you'll find the tutorial halfway: http://tazintosh.com/?p=7212

It's both fully available in french and english.

BTW, I'm sure I don't know as many sim forums as you do, so feel free to spread the word.

Enjoy!

Cheers

20400418818_dbd51bd893_b.jpg

• Like 3

Thank you :) I will print this in black ABS on my printer and see what happens.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

_____________Semper paratus, In hoc signo vinces________________

PC: Intel i7-8700K (4.9 GHz), Aorus Ultra Gaming Z370 MB, Gigabyte RTX 3080, 32 GB DDR3 (3,2 GHz), Samsung EVO 860 M.2 500 GB SSD + Samsung 960 M.2 250 GB SSD Gaming: Virpil T-50 CM2, TM WH Throttle, Crosswind pedals, HP Reverb

Hey FlyingHighAU,

As said on the article, to me, it greatly enhance the usability of the slew control as you can physically get your finger right in the center of the new piece. You are more confortable and precise.

As the sensor itself is kept, the slew speed is not affected, so you still have to set it at your own taste.

My knowledge on 3D printing is not sufficient. Anyhow, I think that the most important is the precision you'll go for (which could lead to a specific material). On my own, it's printed at 30µ on resin, which is quite enough. Thus I'd not recommend 16µ as the printing price will jump for no reason, and I don't recommend either to go for cheaper printing technologie with 100µ and above. The details will not render.

Thanks for your feedback guys, glad you like it.

Edouard,

I was able to quickly get some samples produced based on your design. I flew a mission with my squadron last night, and had poor results. Admittedly, this was my first flight after having just installed the slew, so I'm not ready to say this is bad yet.

Please see the following quick video I recorded. Really, it's exactly as you say in your article. I will continue to run it for another week to see if things improve, as it's too early to make a full judgement.

In any case, thank you tremendously for your effort.

Hey FlyingHighAU,

As said on the article, to me, it greatly enhance the usability of the slew control as you can physically get your finger right in the center of the new piece. You are more confortable and precise.

As the sensor itself is kept, the slew speed is not affected, so you still have to set it at your own taste.

My knowledge on 3D printing is not sufficient. Anyhow, I think that the most important is the precision you'll go for (which could lead to a specific material). On my own, it's printed at 30µ on resin, which is quite enough. Thus I'd not recommend 16µ as the printing price will jump for no reason, and I don't recommend either to go for cheaper printing technologie with 100µ and above. The details will not render.

Thanks for your feedback guys, glad you like it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi Dojo,

You have perfectly illustrated a true issue user have to come around. Your video is perfect at this sense. Thanks you!

When I said to keep the finger on the middle, I meant "while using" the slew control. However, as you shown it, the "problem" of triggering a slew by accident does exist while —not— using it.

The idea of increasing the dead zone, is one I've applied. The other one I'm doing is to try learning to keep my middle finger to another place when not using the slew, so it prevent accidental inputs.

Hi Dojo,

You have perfectly illustrated a true issue user have to come around. Your video is perfect at this sense. Thanks you!

When I said to keep the finger on the middle, I meant "while using" the slew control. However, as you shown it, the "problem" of triggering a slew by accident does exist while —not— using it.

The idea of increasing the dead zone, is one I've applied. The other one I'm doing is to try learning to keep my middle finger to another place when not using the slew, so it prevent accidental inputs.

Indeed. I want to be very clear, the "poor" results have nothing to do with your design, which is excellent. It's the underlying sensor that is requiring the special consideration.

My initial dead zone changes have certainly improved the accidental slew, but will need some tweaking.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I think the size is just right. The problem is the hall sensor or whatever joystick system it uses.

My rig specs:

Intel Core i7 4770 @3.4Ghz // Corsair 16GB DDR3 // MoBo Asus Z87K // HDD 1TB 7200RPM // eVGA Nvidia GTX 760GT 2GB DDR5 // LG 3D 47" 1920x1080 // Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS // Saitek Combat Pro Pedals // Thrustmaster MFD Cougar pack // PS3 Eye + FTNOIR

I think the size is just right. The problem is the hall sensor or whatever joystick system it uses.

I think everyone wishes to see a true stick with hall sensors there... :(

This module sucks from the bottom.

Hope the enhancement of Taz will improve its behavior.

Meanwhile I'm looking for a buddy with a 3D printer... :music_whistling:

The images are fantastic on your site, thanks. Question - the image file shows relative sizes, but what is the actual size that the smaller piece needs to be to fit on the existing control. Whats the actual width of that 'square' that fits over the control?

Steve

Mack

I'd say all you'd need to do is take the original design and add a thin concave disc about the same diameter as the autopilot button and have it sit relatively close to the case. As an example, imagine filing down the end of the nub and gluing a shirt button on top of it. All you really need is something that you can put your finger on and get decent finger tip control.

a replacement Playstation Portable (PSP) analog stick does the trick nicely with a little bit of super glue. That and an added rubber or silicon cap.

you can get all of this for $5 including postage :)

The downside is that still get some rotation as you do with the 3D printed part. Apart from replacing the entire sensor I don't think you can get around that.

psp_analog_stick_nub.jpg

6-in-1-Silicon-font-b-Buttons-b-font-Analog-Stick-Cap-font-b-Kit-b.jpg

Edited by FlyingHighAU

Hi FlyingHighAU

As said on the beginning of the tutorial: "…but unlike simple adaptations where people paste a substitute on the original stub, I wanted to make a change similar the original model…" :smilewink:

Sdmccorm, thanks for your comment!

About dimensions, I don't perfectly remember then, but just open the 3D files: everything is on scale so you should get any information you need.

Cheers!

• 2 years later...