Dogfights are impossible due to massive loss in framrate

Icarus1976

Hi,

when trying to dogfight a Mig15 in a F86 around Batumi my FPS drops to 8 and it stays there until I'm dead.

I did follow the performance guide in this forum to the letter. No effect.

My system is quite old:

Intel I7 2600K@3.4GHz

MSI TwinFrozr 570 GTX

16GB RAM

Win7

Is this to be expected with my system? Is there anything I can do apart from whats in the performance guide without having to spend thousands of bucks (which I don't have anyways)?

Icarus1976

Edited by Icarus1976

My YouTube-Channel <--:thumbup: :joystick: :pilotfly:

Why not take the fight in a clear area of the map?

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

• ED Team

what are your ingame settings? might be worth revisiting them, you should be getting better even with the current engine.

Also are you running any mods?

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

what are your ingame settings? might be worth revisiting them, you should be getting better even with the current engine.

Also are you running any mods?

I will try to post screenshots of my video settings if it helps. I'm not running any mod that I am aware of. Only the official modules but I doubt those are the mods you are talking about.

well, 1.5 / 2.0 will improve that i'd say, and to have an imagination, see this video, 60 warbirds in a furball.

source:

Mudspike

the article itself should help as well ;)

regards,

RR

Edited by Roadrunner

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"There's nothing to be gained by second guessing yourself.

You can't remake the past, so look ahead... or risk being left behind."

Noli Timere Messorem

"No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always been there first, and is waiting for it."

Terry Pratchett

Icarus there are a few settings which you should lower or turn off that will help with your performance.

First, turn off civilian traffic. This is taxing on your CPU and should have an effect right away. Then I would suggest you turn off TSAA and lower your MSAA to 4x and take it from there.

Turning off mirrors also has a pretty big impact on performance but I like them and find them immersive so I keep them on.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Weird. I have a i7 2600 (NOT K...) and only 8GB mem. Asus GTX660, and (ofcourse....) DCSW on SSD.

However: I have everything maxed out, except the groundstuff. I have the Highway/Textures mod from Mustang. 8x AA.

I didn't measure the framerate, because there was no reason to: everything works OK.

Why not take the fight in a clear area of the map?

Well, it is weird solution :P

well, 1.5 / 2.0 will improve that i'd say, and to have an imagination, see this video, 60 warbirds in a furball.

source:

Mudspike

the article itself should help as well ;)

regards,

RR

I hope so, however in the video we see few birds flying over empty area. Not much action over well populated area, so this proves nothing.

But the hope dies last.

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

Hi Icarus,

Our systems are not that different - yet I've been very happy with the frame rates in DCS... The Sandy's overclocked nicely and I'm running mine at 4.5 Ghz on air... Is yours OC'd ? I haven't been watching the frames as everything has been very smooth - the only time I've noticed any hesitation - which was minimal - is when using a large number of rockets in a salvo... Other than that - very smooth... I'm pretty new at DCS but I've been using MSFS since its inception... I've really been enjoying dogfighting the F86...

Intel Core i7-2700K Sandy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623i72700K

GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H-WB LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9

EVGA 025-P3-1579-AR GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) HD 2560MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Noctua NH-C12P SE14 140mm SSO CPU Cooler

PC Power and Cooling Silencer Mk II 750W High Performance 80PLUS Silver SLI CrossFire ready Power Supply

(2) SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC256B/WW 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Western Digital WD Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit

Regards,

Scott

Does it bring many aircrafts fight with flying missiles at once?

So far I see solo movie where I can fly smoothly in DCS 1 too.

The question was simple - does multi action - plenty of planes over city, SAMs, machine guns slow down your PC to knees like it is often now, or there is stable 40+ FPS.

I do not think about all-time 60 at heavy fight as it is phantasmagoria.

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

The question was simple - does multi action - plenty of planes over city, SAMs, machine guns slow down your PC to knees like it is often now, or there is stable 40+ FPS.

It was not specified in the Mudspike article, but I did not notice any major framerate loss over high-density population centers, both in single-aircraft and "multi action" air combat scenarios you describe. As mentioned in the article, typical scenarios that would traditionally bring my system to its knees ran rather smoothly.

I can't say more than that. :noexpression:

Ok, I turned down the scenery and water to medium and the MSAA to 4x. The TSAA off and now I'm getting more or less constant 40 fps in the dogfight scenario over Batumi.

However, I'm still getting my ass handed to me. :doh: :music_whistling:

Btw, I was actually reaching for my flyswat there. :doh:

Hi Icarus,

Our systems are not that different - yet I've been very happy with the frame rates in DCS... The Sandy's overclocked nicely and I'm running mine at 4.5 Ghz on air... Is yours OC'd ? I haven't been watching the frames as everything has been very smooth - the only time I've noticed any hesitation - which was minimal - is when using a large number of rockets in a salvo... Other than that - very smooth... I'm pretty new at DCS but I've been using MSFS since its inception... I've really been enjoying dogfighting the F86...

Regards,

Scott

My CPU is not OCed but it is worth a try. I'm afraid I will break something though. Not sure if my fan is up for it.

Edited by Icarus1976

Hi Icarus,

Yeah - OC have almost been a necessity in the MSFS community... It is a little intimidating when you first try it... So - I'd include this caveat - if you can't afford to replace hardware - maybe it's best not to try... That said - I am far from an expert and have been doing it for a decade and haven't lost any components yet... Basically I find something that works - then set it and forget it... Most modern motherboards shutdown your PC before damage occurs... I'm only really familiar with Gigabyte mobo's - but a couple of changes in the bios - and you're overclocked... They really make it pretty easy...

If your running the stock fan - that came with your CPU - you may want to consider an upgrade to the fan - as I'm running one of those massive heat sinks that barely fit in my case and did add an extra fan to the case as well... It's all about the temps...

Download CPU-Z and some CPU temp monitoring program and you should be good to go...

I guess my philosophy is if you are going to spend the extra money for a "K" processor - you might as well use it... The OC has made a significant improvement in performance over the stock clock...

Anyway - best of luck... I've only been running DCS a few weeks - and I have yet to kill my first MIG-15 in a battle - I hit them a bunch but they seem pretty tough... Good hunting...

Regards,

Scott

It was not specified in the Mudspike article, but I did not notice any major framerate loss over high-density population centers, both in single-aircraft and "multi action" air combat scenarios you describe. As mentioned in the article, typical scenarios that would traditionally bring my system to its knees ran rather smoothly.

I can't say more than that. :noexpression:

That brings hope ;)

In one of my mission I put about 70x Shilka, 30x TOR, 30x OSA 30x BUK, 10x Patriot 10x S-300, 40x Avenger, 20x Strela-10.

The player had to kill HQ based there, so when 4x Su-25T fired all AR missiles and SAM site answered for that on the sky was armageddon.

There were at least 60 missiles at one time over the area plus 6 MP players around.

FPS went down to the unpleasant level on the ultra low settings - when I write ultra low I mean manually cut particle effects, deep file cut of almost anything.

ಠ_ಠ