Open Conflict - Server Information

Mirknir

Yeah, your sam sites are a bitch

Re refuelling notification, if you aren't aware that you start empty, you don't look for it. Some kind of notification or reminder would be useful.

Re the in-air spawn, yeah it could work. I am however sensitive to the idea that it's a sim and all fighters should start on the ground. Some people might take offense to air starts, but, it is a server that is for both newbies wanting to get into multiplayer and people with more time to do sim flying. That's always a difficult balance to find and I respect that. If anything, my contribution to this thread is to help you seek this balance, not to start a flame war.

Edited by Shabi

Oculus CV1, i7 4790k @ stock, gtx 1080ti @ stock, 32gb PC3-19200 @ 2.4ghz, warthog & saitek pedals, razer tartarus chroma.

Let me ask you this shabi, why yes your F15s TWS technology, powerful radar and ammram capacity is unrivaled in DCS, if you only had one server issued fighter life left, would you have pressed on and died? The video shows a good TWS launch no doubt(however let's be honest, is it that hard to put a TDC over a box and press enter?) but the blatant disregard for your own aircraft and life was quite pathetic as you continued to fly directly over a Sam site that was locking and launching on you. In the words of Charlie from Top Gun, "why the maneuver was a success, I think it's shown as an example of what not to do."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]1000 miles of road will take you around town, a 1000 feet of runway can take you around the world...unless your in a Huey, you can go anywhere with no runway in a Huey!

multiplayer name ''DustOff=3=6''

Yeah, your sam sites are a bitch

Re refuelling notification, if you aren't aware that you start empty, you don't look for it. Some kind of notification or reminder would be useful.

Re the in-air spawn, yeah it could work. I am however sensitive to the idea that it's a sim and all fighters should start on the ground. Some people might take offense to air starts, but, it is a server that is for both newbies wanting to get into multiplayer and people with more time to do sim flying. That's always a difficult balance to find and I respect that. If anything, my contribution to this thread is to help you seek this balance, not to start a flame war.

Yea the SAM sites are a bitch and they might increase in power at some power to offer better protection for people in their side on the conflict zone and more need for SEAD.

I may mark the slot NO/LOW fuel to hint at the fact that something is different but I won't add a audio notification as it should still be a reflex to look at your instrument when you enter your aircrafts.

I appreciate your contribution as a lot of affected people won't participate to the discussion.

I can't say I am playing DCS like you do but I like to have different views.

As for the flame war, it's a sensitive subject so I cant say it won't spark some stuff but, on my side, I like to have inputs and always try to answer with respect and explain the reasoning behind decisions.

Mirknir

My old server:

The Thread

And just to clairify my question wasn't meant to come across as disrespectful to shabi, I simply was just curious for his input as I know there was previous discussion on the best methods of slowing the quaking. Just curious if his play style would be different if limited lives were an option. No disrespect intended. And believe me I have had some pathetic disregards for my aircraft as well when I get kill hungry and tunnel vision lol it happens to most everyone. Expect maybe Mirknir who is definitely pro:thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]1000 miles of road will take you around town, a 1000 feet of runway can take you around the world...unless your in a Huey, you can go anywhere with no runway in a Huey!

No issue you guys asking the hard questions, I'm willing to give my feedback as to how I fly on this server.

I fly in VR, and load up to fly to bullseye, usually with 6x aim120-c , two aim-9p and two drop tanks, conserving fuel on the way there. Depending on what I see I either go low or high.

I don't claim to be an expert on situational awareness but if I see an unfavourable situation I will turn back and either maintain potential energy or fool myself into staying low with an idea that I know what's out there. Yes the f15 radar is powerful but it's not a full picture.

In this case, seeing 3x friendlies heading NW low I decided to tail them high and play the advantage, it worked out. More often than not I'll fail to see a m2000c or similar pop up under and take me. This time I pushed too far forward and dropped too low when I launched, and then turned the wrong way.

If people think being more cautious due to more time invested in refueling/rearming/ins will change the dynamics of this approach, it's understandable, as I know how long it takes to start an a10c, and how lightly armed an m2000c is.

The question is, how do we achieve this but still maintain the approachability of the server to a wide range of people. The night before I was trying to introduce a friend to mp in DCS, but the enforced delay took a while to figure out and stretched the time available.

One thing I would like to emphasise is how important tacview output is. I would never have had these insights with you if that wasn't there. Big thanks to our friend in Montreal!

Re acdelta, if I had to do it again - yes, I would push to do the TWS, as 3 distracted targets down low (I am so high that the aim120's have thin air, their other advantage) are too hard to give up. To take 3 targets and be at risk of a SAM while at 20k feet is reasonable, I just wish I looked at the map and considered that I was pushing North of my own Sam battery and needed to turn back ASAP. I think I would have launched the second wave sooner and dived at 700kn, dropping tanks, as soon as they went active. 50/50 chance of survival in that case and the flight back and rearm is totally worth it.

In rebuttal to the thread so far, why couldn't 3x aircraft spot me at 20k+ feet instead of being distracted? Harsh lesson, but necessary, I wasn't being subtle.

Edit: I need to work on reading the rwr and SAM sites. I'm OK with AA contacts but admit to having little practice with working against SAMs. I should maybe get back to learning the a10c to become more familiar with how important that is in a nato context.

Edited by Shabi

Oculus CV1, i7 4790k @ stock, gtx 1080ti @ stock, 32gb PC3-19200 @ 2.4ghz, warthog & saitek pedals, razer tartarus chroma.

I think the IN AIR slots could bring the death cool down without the passivity.

I think air starts promote airquake and lone flying. To get away from airquake, flights need to be grouped and more organised, this is only really going to happen from a ground start.

Creating a bonus or reward for flying as a flight (eg.making so many kills within 5nm of the same pilot) would be great, incorporating that into your server/mission is the head scratcher.

"[51☭] FROSTIE" #55

51st PVO "BISONS"

Fastest MiG pilot in the world - TCR'10

https://100kiap.org

I think air starts promote airquake and lone flying. To get away from airquake, flights need to be grouped and more organised, this is only really going to happen from a ground start.

Couldn't agree more

While I agree that it should be tweaked well and the air starts should spawn way further than regular slots, I don't agree with the "more organized" part.

I've seen this argument in the thread that people air-quake because "this or this should be added" and I feel that's just wrong.

Like they choose the F15/Su27 in all aircrafts available, they choose airquake playstyle in all stuff you can do in DCS / on server.

It's by choice and not by lack of options.

While I want to add more feature/incentive to play in group and stay alive, I am really not convinced it will help decrease the air quaker situation.

I feel more and more that something more drastic should be done like removing some aircrafts or some missiles to remedy the situation :(

Edited by Mirknir

Mirknir

My old server:

The Thread

I feel more and more that something more drastic should be done like removing some aircrafts or some missiles to remedy the situation :(

All air-to-ground with the barest minimum of air-to-air provided by AIM-9s or R-60s.

Win 10 | i7 4770 @ 3.5GHz | 32GB DDR3 | 6 GB GTX1060

Just wanted to thank Mirknir for running this server. I have been playing as "fresh Meat" over the last week or so, which is as long as i have had the game! With the training areas and undefended targets i find this to be a much more enjoyable way to learn rather than the offline training missions.

I played falcon4 years ago and was always astounded with the dynamic campaign. Is there any chance of some form of this, where the game is autogenerating missions that pmayers can slot for based on changing conditions on the map? Instead of hoping players will self organize for a SEAD, could the server generate that mission itself?

=============================

i7 5820k | 32GB RAM | Nvidia 2070RTX | 1TB SSD

Just wanted to thank Mirknir for running this server. I have been playing as "fresh Meat" over the last week or so, which is as long as i have had the game! With the training areas and undefended targets i find this to be a much more enjoyable way to learn rather than the offline training missions.

Thanks for the feedback :thumbup:

It's not an easy job to host a battlefield for everyone in every aircrafts of every era ; I understand why God invented time to not have every aircrafts flying in the same war :lol:

I played falcon4 years ago and was always astounded with the dynamic campaign. Is there any chance of some form of this, where the game is autogenerating missions that pmayers can slot for based on changing conditions on the map? Instead of hoping players will self organize for a SEAD, could the server generate that mission itself?

I've done some dynamic objective in this version of Skynet (Open Conflict Masterscript) but yea, I would like to go further.

I am currently investigating a new tech to migrate Skynet to and that should allow me to do more powerful stuff.

I will post on this soon depending on the result of my investigation.

Mirknir

My old server:

The Thread

I really am enjoying OC lately especially the CSAR missions. However, has anyone ever suggested making each server reset have the same mission with a different time and/or season? I feel it would really mix things up to have night missions once in awhile.

Or a change of weather....:) clear skies and no wind = :cry:

I really am enjoying OC lately especially the CSAR missions. However, has anyone ever suggested making each server reset have the same mission with a different time and/or season? I feel it would really mix things up to have night missions once in awhile.

Yes there has been a lot of suggestion about weather and basically everyone wants a weather and it's opposite :lol:

I am changing the weather when I push a map update to signal an update has been released.

I am using a large variety of weather pattern and time of day but not full night because not every aircrafts have night vision and not full snow because its ruining people fps.

The past updates, I had a tendency to favor crappy weather so this long nice weather is some kind of break.

Next weather will be cold dry cloudy windy winter.

Edited by Mirknir

Mirknir

My old server:

The Thread

While I agree that it should be tweaked well and the air starts should spawn way further than regular slots, I don't agree with the "more organized" part.

I've seen this argument in the thread that people air-quake because "this or this should be added" and I feel that's just wrong.

Like they choose the F15/Su27 in all aircrafts available, they choose airquake playstyle in all stuff you can do in DCS / on server.

It's by choice and not by lack of options.

While I want to add more feature/incentive to play in group and stay alive, I am really not convinced it will help decrease the air quaker situation.

Just remove the aim-120 missiles and give us sparrows (same for equivalent missiles on russian side). When... I think it was blueflag (?) did it, it was a lot of fun, makes the engagements happen at a much closer range.

5900X - 32 GB 3600 RAM - 1080TI

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

Just remove the aim-120 missiles and give us sparrows (same for equivalent missiles on russian side). When... I think it was blueflag (?) did it, it was a lot of fun, makes the engagements happen at a much closer range.

So much this.

AIM-120C's are absolutely ridiculous. God knows what happens when the Tomcat arrives, but for the moment, something with that range - and EIGHT OF THEM - is just absurd. Especially considering it is a 5 button plane.

Would agree makes for much more fun fights.

But sadly I kinda doubt many would agree as spamming araams and flying hime to restock seems to be their thing

As a airquake controlling measure maybe instead of limiting weapons (which I feel defeats the point of OC being a training/for anyone server) there could be a skynet enforced fighter limit? This could be scalable with the number of players.

For example: if the server is full at 31 players, this means both teams can have a maximum of 9 modern ASFs. This can be any combination of the F15, Mirage and SU33/27 but once that limit is reached, skynet won't let you spawn in those aircraft even if slots are available. When the limit is reached skynet will inform a player attempting to enter the slot that the team fighter limit is reached and to either wait for a slot, choose a different plane, or check the availability of the other team. This will also help the player balance issue because if a player wants to fly the F15 that badly, they will check redfor slots if blue is full.

When the server has fewer players in, this limit would decrease too. If there are only 20 players on this could be 5 fighters per team for example. This could also link in with the currently existing spawn system for the AI CAP. When the team fighter limit is below 5 per team, the AI is spawned as a protection measure for attackers, and also to provide extra targets for the few people playing CAP.

The F5, Mig21 and other legacy planes would not be included in this counter because their DCS level nature doesn't suit airquaking and their A-A loadout is not overwhelmingly large, as well as the other various disadvantages of taking a 1970s 2nd/3rd generation fighter up against 1996+ AIM-120Cs :lol:

I'm not sure where the MiG-29 would sit in this counter though.. On one hand they are FC3 level and the 'S' version carries the R77 amraamski plus internal ECM, but on the other hand they have very limited fuel/pylons, less capable radar + no datalink, their EO system is far worse than the SU27/33, and the 'A/G' version have inferior BVR missiles (no R77, BVR on inner wing only and limited to R27s). So maybe the mig-29S is in the modern fighter counter and the mig-29A/G are in the 'legacy' era and so don't count.

Thoughts?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Also just quickly regarding Shabi's TWS attack, I am actually come to Shabi's defence on this one. The standard tactic with the F15 launching an AMRAAM attack is to fire one missile, then fire a second about 3 seconds later. In this case he was firing on 3 hostiles, all at low level and pressing on a teammate. Therefore I would not consider the 6 AMRAAMs fired as 'spamraaming' because he's following standard procedure. The first two kills were textbook and well executed, but that being said the third kill was sloppy and was being 'kill hungry'. Personally a double kill like that would be satisfactory for me and I would have looped around now that the threat to the friendly mirage has resided.

It was a great example of good fighting, followed by some poor fighting. No one is perfect and we can backseat fly and analyse that fight all day long but in my opinion that wasn't a case of airquake or similar, but simply a pilot becoming target fixated and bloodlust which is something we have all done, especially when the adrenaline is flowing and if you've already scored a kill or two. Like dust said I'm notorious for this in the F5, I often fire both missiles and will relentlessly chase and dogfight enemy players when I'm already low on fuel and gun ammo, because 'just one more kill then rtb' syndrome, many an F5 has had to be emergency landed on roads because I've run out of fuel on the way back after 30 seconds too long in AB chasing some stupid fighter who was clearly RTB :lol:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

if you remove AMRAAM do you not effectively gimp the F15, which is noted for its BVR capability? My understanding is that it's at a disadvantage in shorter range - in particular I'm seeing a lot of M2000 taking out F15s in short range duels.

Instead of removing them, is it possible to limit it to 2 or 4 per loadout? It then allows the pilot to take advantage of his plane's capabilities, and then force him to make a decision about withdrawing or going in closer once they're used.

=============================

i7 5820k | 32GB RAM | Nvidia 2070RTX | 1TB SSD

if you remove AMRAAM do you not effectively gimp the F15, which is noted for its BVR capability? My understanding is that it's at a disadvantage in shorter range - in particular I'm seeing a lot of M2000 taking out F15s in short range duels.

Instead of removing them, is it possible to limit it to 2 or 4 per loadout? It then allows the pilot to take advantage of his plane's capabilities, and then force him to make a decision about withdrawing or going in closer once they're used.

I haven't find a way to restrict missile quantity in a loadout :(

The only way would be to spawn f15 with 2 aim120 and remove all 120 from bases :(

Edited by Mirknir

Mirknir

My old server:

The Thread