Recommend a Joystick for FC3 (~$200)

I've recently purchased FC3. I'm trying to figure out which joystick to get. There are some threads about this however some models suggested are either too expensive / no longer in production. Also it seems that many of the suggestions are geared to the A10. I would be flying Su-27 /MiG-29/ F-15

My budget for this is about $200. I would like to get something that will last me a while. I am also considering getting rudder pedals.

I'm pleased with the Saitek X-55 I bought back in January. It has enough buttons on it for everything important and durability seems just fine. My previous stick was an X-52 Pro that I used for about 8 years. It still works but I wanted more buttons. If you're considering pedals, another good option is a full CH setup. It will run you about $350 total but $120 of that is the pedals you're thinking about anyways. CH sticks do not have a rudder axis, so pedals are required for them. All the Saitek sticks I know of have twist rudder and thus don't require pedals. There aren't any other options in that price range that I know of. VKB and the TM Warthog are far beyond that.

In ~ 200$ range your options are:

Saitek X-52, X-52 PRO or X-55 (In Amazon 120-150-160$).

Or Tm T.1600M + CH PRO Throttle (to have more buttons) ~180$.

Add 110-135$ for CH PRO or Saitek PRO Pedal.

Or maybe CH Fighterstick+CH pedal (without the throttle standalone) ~210$ for start use the throttle slider on 'stick.

http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/extreme-3d-pro-joystick

Recommend by many. I have this too. It's superb.

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

Right now I think I'll probably go with the X-55. Seems to be the best choice. Is there anything else similar? There seems to be a huge gap (i.e. the Warthog would be next up at 3x the cost).

You can't go wrong with the x55

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

I also recommend the X55. Though I purchased Mfg pedals too and disabled the twist on the stick.

Anything with a Rotary Wing is fun and challenging.

Use SRS radio.

Saitek X55 Modding

System Specs

Mixed Metals: i7 4790K@4.6, 32GB Kingston HyperX ram@2400Mhz, Gigabyte GA-Z97MX Gaming 5, ASUS Vega 64, 3xSamsung SSD drives, FSP Aurum 1000W PSU, Custom watercooling with EK blocks, Vive, Virpil MT 50, X55 throttle.

I just got one yesterday too!

I read that the X55 software makes it work ingame like a keyboard... I have to see if I can create a profile for each aircraft in the software...

The only problem with programming the Hotas ingame is that the game doesn't recognize the 3 modes....

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Your eyes only see what your mind is ready to comprehend"

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Asus Z170 Pro Gaming - Intel I7-6700K - 16GB DDR4 @ 2400MHz HyperX Savage - Strix GTX 960 DC II 2GB OC Edition - Seagate 1TB

Just to save you some serious headache, make copies of your profiles. My x55 software regularly deleted profiles that took me forever to make. Also watch frooglesim's youtube video on programming the x55. It will help a ton. Dcs doesnt recognize several buttons on my x55's throttle and I had to map them to keyboard keys in the madcatz software, then in game as well. Good luck.

The only problem with programming the Hotas ingame is that the game doesn't recognize the 3 modes....

If the 'stick mode selector is seen in game as buttons, try assign them as "switches" (in Modifiers) and map different functions for the other buttons HAT with "switches" ON and OFF.

Small example, with non-programmable 'stick. Without "switches" (I use Scroll Lock and Caps Lock as "switches" - due the LED), at spawn the 'stick trigger is (Mig-15/21) wheel brakes, with one "switches" (Scroll Lock) ON the trigger fire the gun, and with "Shift" ('stick pinkie button assign as modifier) the trigger flip down/up (safety/fire) the trigger in Mig-15 and turn ON-OFF cannon circuit in Mig-21, but only if "switches" (Scroll Lock) are ON.

And I can still use the trigger + "Shift" with "switches" OFF for other function. Or with other "switches" (Caps Lock) ON do other thing.

If the 'stick mode selector is seen in game as buttons, try assign them as "switches" (in Modifiers) and map different functions for the other buttons HAT with "switches" ON and OFF.

Small example, with non-programmable 'stick. Without "switches" (I use Scroll Lock and Caps Lock as "switches" - due the LED), at spawn the 'stick trigger is (Mig-15/21) wheel brakes, with one "switches" (Scroll Lock) ON the trigger fire the gun, and with "Shift" ('stick pinkie button assign as modifier) the trigger flip down/up (safety/fire) the trigger in Mig-15 and turn ON-OFF cannon circuit in Mig-21, but only if "switches" (Scroll Lock) are ON.

And I can still use the trigger + "Shift" with "switches" OFF for other function. Or with other "switches" (Caps Lock) ON do other thing.

That's a good workaround for the problem for now!!! Thanks alot!!!

But anyway, I'm going to create a new thread reporting this problem... Maybe someone from ED sees it...

Cheers

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Your eyes only see what your mind is ready to comprehend"

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Asus Z170 Pro Gaming - Intel I7-6700K - 16GB DDR4 @ 2400MHz HyperX Savage - Strix GTX 960 DC II 2GB OC Edition - Seagate 1TB

I honestly think anything much more than the Logitech 3D Pro or Thrustmaster T.16000M is overkill for FC3 aircraft. If I had $200, I'd get a TrackIR and one of those sticks.

The TrackIR makes a HUGE improvement to how DCS is played. (try driving with a car neck-brace times two)

Also in my experience rudder pedals aren't that useful for jets - but they are great if you are flying ground attack aircraft so that you can aim your cannon and rockets more precisely. They are also great for helicopters. But for F-15/Su-27/Mig-29 you will be able to control very easily with a joystick twist rudder.

Edited by TomOnSteam

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cockpit Spectator Mode

I would like to counter TomOnStream's comments.

To effectively fly the 15, you will need every button on the X55 over 2 modes. To state otherwise seems uneducated on the topic.

TrackIR is a game changer, no doubt about that.

Rudder pedals are an absolute for AA combat if you are attempting to maintain a proper cornering energy. Also very nice to have when your engines get shot up and you need to land with a wind and one engine. Beyond that, immersion in the game goes through the roof with pedals.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet