Is there any reason to take R-27R over ER?

Erdem

If you kill you get +10 to pride :D

No, there is no point taking them.

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

the only reason there in the game Is to make more of an 80's type mission where ER's aren't available

Link to my Imgur screenshots and motto

http://imgur.com/a/Gt7dF

One day in DCS... Vipers will fly along side Tomcats... Bugs with Superbugs, Tiffy's with Tornado's, Fulcrums with Flankers and Mirage with Rafales...

:)The Future of DCS is a bright one:)

Thank you for the answers. I figured as much but I thought I'd ask the veterans here too.

Forget all what you read out there about the missiles. This is a game and need be balanced. Hope you understand what I mean...

Then this must be the worst balance job I've ever seen. There's no reason to take Russian birds over the F-15 other than pure nostalgia factor, they're horribly outclassed due to the magic of the AMRAAM and the 15's superior radar. They removed the AE which gave the Flanker at least some kind of parity due to it never entering operational service. In the meanwhile the F-15C got the AMRAAM-C which entered service in the late 90's, giving the 15 even further edge. No, this game is not "balanced" at all. No wonder everyone stacks the F-15's on multiplayer servers.

Though that's a discussion for another topic.

Edited by Erdem

Pepin - In the image you posted - how can you tell that it's the R version and not the ER?

Erdem - yes, by default, a beginner simmer will choose the Eagle over the Flanker for it's advantage in BVR (everyone is eager to shoot first) but as you know the Flanker's advantage is within WVR so the mind game is to lure the Eagle into your playground where you have the upper hand.

It's more interesting & challenging from my point of view.

On the same servers you fly you will find veteran Flanker pilots with a list of many teeth grinding and frustrated Eagle pilots.

Practice - Practice - Practice and when it comes to multiplayer -

Patience is a Virtue

Enjoy

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i5 4690K | ASUS Z-97PRO Gaming Mobo | Nvidia Gigabyte GTX970 3.5/0.5 GB Windforce3 | G.Skill Ripjaws-X 2x8GB DDR3 1600Mhz | Samsung Evo 120GB SSD | Win10 Pro | Antec 750w 80 Bronze Modular

Pepin - In the image you posted - how can you tell that it's the R version and not the ER?

Overall Russians tend to use R instead of ER somehow.

And Su-27S\P is really poor bird compared to the F-15C, I do not see an bias here.

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

And Su-27S\P is really poor bird compared to the F-15C, I do not see an bias here.

Reality or DCS?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i5 4690K | ASUS Z-97PRO Gaming Mobo | Nvidia Gigabyte GTX970 3.5/0.5 GB Windforce3 | G.Skill Ripjaws-X 2x8GB DDR3 1600Mhz | Samsung Evo 120GB SSD | Win10 Pro | Antec 750w 80 Bronze Modular

The ER has a wider rear body. Though the picture isn't that great and on this particular screen I can't really tell.

As for the topic, there aren't really any advantages to using the non E R-27's. They are either for time correct weapons or for challenges, like the AIM-7/9P

on the F-15.

Su-27 vs F-15 the Flanker's advantages are better internal fuel endurance, IRST, IR missiles, and the really big one, the AWACS/GCI datalink, though there are some bugs hurting it at the moment.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

Reality or DCS?

Reality, and it should be same in DCS.

Edited by Boberro

ಠ_ಠ

As the title says. I'm guessing the R is a bit more nimble due to lower weight, but I'm not sure by how much and how noticeable it is.

Substitute does not have a lot of, but this for example: (zip-tacview)

R vs ER.rar

“The people will believe what the media tells them they believe.” — George Orwell

Erdem - yes, by default, a beginner simmer will choose the Eagle over the Flanker for it's advantage in BVR (everyone is eager to shoot first) but as you know the Flanker's advantage is within WVR so the mind game is to lure the Eagle into your playground where you have the upper hand.

It's more interesting & challenging from my point of view.

On the same servers you fly you will find veteran Flanker pilots with a list of many teeth grinding and frustrated Eagle pilots.

Practice - Practice - Practice and when it comes to multiplayer -

Patience is a Virtue

Enjoy

It's the R version,look:

R-27R

tcbIObW.jpg

R-27ER

4vB2o2T.jpg

Edited by BlazexX23Xx

Then this must be the worst balance job I've ever seen. There's no reason to take Russian birds over the F-15 other than pure nostalgia factor, they're horribly outclassed due to the magic of the AMRAAM

Not if you get in close.. :holloween:

DCS F/A-18C :sorcerer:

Blaze, the first picture you show are ER and ET's. The second photo is a mix of R and ER. Look at the difference in length of the motor behind the forward fins.

3Sqn - Largest distributor of Flanker, Fulcrum and Frogfoot parts in the Black Sea Region

It is unbalanced, but not THAT bad. Flanker can still really beat an eagle using wisely the long shot combination R-27 ER/ET. If the Eagle pilot comes into the defensive and does not do the right maneuver, the flanker gets close and splash it . And thats it. The tactics of the eagle pilot using amraam makes all the difference. As always, pilot skill and tactics win. The Eagle has a good SA and the missile capability, but the flanker has too its surprises and advantages (Even both game and real life) and thats a fact.

=08th=King

chadsky.jpg

Blaze, the first picture you show are ER and ET's. The second photo is a mix of R and ER. Look at the difference in length of the motor behind the forward fins.

No, it's the R version :

s8WpfCA.jpg

Yes the second is a mix of R and ER,i never said it isn't.

There's no reason to take Russian birds over the F-15 other than pure nostalgia factor, they're horribly outclassed due to the magic of the AMRAAM and the 15's superior radar.

If there is any chance of using terrain masking in the battle area, then considering a purely 1v1 situation the Flanker becomes superior because of its superior close-range scanning, combat and stealth abilities

Edited by Stuge

Yes, the Flanker has some advantages...one of them was 20km more range on the Eagle.

The ER was probably designed to out-shoot the american missles so that they can atleast get one solid track without being in imediate danger themselfs.

Serriously, the R27ER has about 20km (obviously all parameters perfect, but same goes for the Amraam) more range then the Amraam-C and ingame it has about 1km less range.

Meaning you don´t even get first shot advantage on your SARH missles while the Eagle can fire back, wait for pitbull then hard break and dodge your missle while you sit there like an idiot trying not to break to hard in case you break the lock and waste the missile.

Sure, using the Flanker well gets you to eat Eagles, I´m sure of it, but this is a simulator.

I want the parameters of the planes be as close as possible to real life, this includes weapons.

If I wanted "gamey" physics, I´d not play DCS.

Edited by Chrinik

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

GCI: "Control to SEAD: Enemy SAM site 190 for 30, cleared to engage"

Striker: "Copy, say Altitude?"

GCI: "....Deck....it´s a SAM site..."

Striker: "Oh...."

Fighter: "Yeah, those pesky russian build, baloon based SAMs."

-Red-Lyfe

Best way to troll DCS community, make an F-16A, see how dedicated the fans really are :thumbup:

Just an Idea, they may still be using R-27R's because of old inventory. It costs quite a lot to get rid of outdated unused ordinance. (One of the reasons for Vietnam and carpet bombing empty jungles was that it would have bankrupted the US to have properly disposed of all the leftover WWII unused GP bombs.)

Even in the ground forces they would give you all kinds of extra live grenade fuses for the training grenades and ammo to waste during exercises so they did not have to be properly disposed of or checked back in.

I have a question on the R-27ER field date, as I am working on 1991 pre-soviet breakup "plausible" US vs USSR mission. What date was the R-27ER available? Sometimes they are ready for combat but not employed as they saved the newest munitions for the big boys. Like in the Gulf War they had the AIM-120A but never used them they only used the AIM-7 Sparrow.

So say July 1991, was the R-27ER available for the USSR vs the US still fielding the AIM-7 Sparrow and the AIM-9L (no p?)

Just an Idea, they may still be using R-27R's because of old inventory.

More like because they're not buying new inventory. These missiles have a shelf life, so it's not really advantageous to keep them around, disposal problems aside.

I have a question on the R-27ER field date, as I am working on 1991 pre-soviet breakup "plausible" US vs USSR mission. What date was the R-27ER available? Sometimes they are ready for combat but not employed as they saved the newest munitions for the big boys. Like in the Gulf War they had the AIM-120A but never used them they only used the AIM-7 Sparrow.
IIRC R-27ER was available in limited quantities in 1991. I have not seen any training videos featuring this missile though, they seem to train with the R-27R instead.

If they really intend to use the ER, then this is a training flaw. OTOH the training stuff I saw was old (ER definitely available at the time though).

So say July 1991, was the R-27ER available for the USSR vs the US still fielding the AIM-7 Sparrow and the AIM-9L (no p?)
In July 1991, you might have a few R-27ERs lying around, and they'd be used up very quickly. Further, they're probably not very capable against the US fielding integrated ECM etc, something that is not represented in-game. Conversely, AIM-120A was also not quite the performer that is the 120B and onwards.

At that time the US was using the AIM-7M(H) and AIM-9M, not L. AIM-9M was introduced in '82, and had gone through 7-8 upgrades by '91.

Historically speaking, the US was almost never in danger of having to pit sparrow-armed aircraft vs. ER equipped aircraft.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Further, they're probably not very capable against the US fielding integrated ECM...

Such the ultimate opinion too resembles the magic although practice did not provide confirmation. All assumptions, analysis, interpretation, information and military exercises are not the measure of reality. The only real war in the field is the only authoritative thing. All other admixtures containing of cheering.

Of course, I respect anyone who knows and follows the theme, and tries to comprehend...

“The people will believe what the media tells them they believe.” — George Orwell

I think the magic here is that you somehow try to foster the belief that the modeled aircraft - the Su-27S, and its weapons are somehow on par with a modernized F-15.

But that's just IMHO, and it's why I put that 'probably' up there.

If you really have respect for people who studies the subject, I strongly suggest ... studying the subject.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda