DCS: F-5E!

Python

Please go here and funny.....http://www.usaf-sig.org/index.php/references/downloads/category/52-f-5-tiger-ii-northrop

cpu:I7-6700k Z170 16GB Ram DDR4 Gtx 1080 8Gb DDR5 11GBs SSD 500 Gb 2 HDD 1Tb Evga supernova G2 850w Case Bequiet series 800 Silent base Win 10 pro 64 bit

My wishlist: F-35/B-17G/F4U Corsair/Yak-3/P-40B Tomahawk

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is where ROEs are placed to even things out. The F-5E/MiG-21 would be using GCI to get into place and take advantage of their small size and overcome the lack of BVR capability. The Eagles might be restricted to VIS ID.

Your imagination is going to come into play here. Server rules/eras will need to be better matched to prevent a late Su-27/33 with a full load of R-27ERs going against a F-5E with AIM-9Ps. Not unheard of, but you wont get much traffic.

-Jeff

Youre right. Server rules and mission design. As of now most of the server has all if not most airframes in the mission. Which is totally fine for me and great as you see all these great variance in DCS comming together and matching each other. However, when it comes to weapon load and not sitting in an F15 or Su27 you are very often dead.

On one hand thats realistic as those fighters are simply at the top of food chain. But gameplay and fun lacks in that case. And yes, if youre not offering these jets you are having a hard time findind people joining your server. Balancing is always the toughest part.

None the less Im really looking forward to the F-5E. Its iconic and a awesome addition. And if you get a kill with it its even more satisfiying.

If I would like to fly SFM I could get it for free at World of Warplanes.

You only need 2 of the following 3: Altitude - Speed - Skill

That manual is for the old pre 1980's version of the F-5E. Speed won't matter so much in DCS unless running away from a fight. I love the MiG-21 but it is a rocket with wings and not really built for a dogfight. I get the impression that the F-5E is more like a Sabre on steroids. Easy enough to fly and fight in. The MiG-21 on the other hand has a nasty stall and I've seen my fair share of manouver kills during dogfights. You feel like you have control over the fight and suddenly you push her too far... The F-5E has good, well rounded performance. Remember, even the F-15 and F-14 drivers thinks that the F-5E is a handfull WVR during aggressor trainings.

The Major "problem" with the F-5E in DCS when it comes to Air-Air MP with the F-5E (on "normal" air quake servers) is the fact that the F-5E does not have the ability to IFF targets using its radar

(Correct me if im wrong but thats what ive read/heard)

So you need to Visually ID targets (or have someone do it for you)

which while not usually a problem IRL due to ground radar and knowing what aircraft types the enemy has

its a problem in many DCS MP servers

as they often have a mix of both aircraft types on both sides.

And to ID aircraft based on Markings / Paintschemes is something that is very hard/unreliable when it comes to DCS.

So on Servers with the Teams having different aircraft types this wont be a significant problem but for Mixed servers it will make it almost unusable in air-air combat (except for in self defense) since there will be alot of Team killing with kill eager pilots shooting at anything they can get a missile lock on...

Edited by mattebubben

Mattebubben, it's rather fun to see how you write about the F-5E's advantages over the Mig-21 every few pages :P Seems like a lot of people don't understand the importance of a modern RWR for SA. The only way I can see that the MiG-21bis evenly matched is with awacs support and all-aspect R-60M (hopefully fixed soon).

A lot of people forget this. Information is half the battle. The RWR on the Gazelle is better than the one in the MiG-21, and has already saved my life several times by allowing me to evade Su-27s and the like. In a helicopter, let alone a mach 1.6 fighter.

No, it won't be as good as a Su-27 or F-15, but it is not supposed to be. It's place will be fighting MiG-21s. But it will do better versus more modern fighters than the MiG-21 does.

The Major "problem" with the F-5E when it comes to Air-Air MP with the F-5E (on "normal" air quake servers) is the fact that the F-5E does not have the ability to IFF targets using its radar

(Correct me if im wrong but thats what ive read/heard)

So you need to Visually ID targets

which while not usually a problem IRL due to ground radar and knowing what aircraft types the enemy has is a problem in many DCS MP servers

as they often have a mix of both aircraft types on both sides.

And ID based on Markings / Paintschemes is something that is very hard (unreliable) when it comes to DCS.

So on Servers with the Teams having different aircraft types this wont be a significant problem but for Mixed servers it will make it almost unusable in air-air combat (except for in self defense) since there will be alot of Team killing with kill eager pilots shooting at anything they can get a missile lock on...

Knowing this, the mission creators need to prevent that. For me, simply not mixing the planes.

Mattebubben, it's rather fun to see how you write about the F-5E's advantages over the Mig-21 every few pages :P Seems like a lot of people don't understand the importance of a modern RWR for SA. The only way I can see that the MiG-21bis evenly matched is with awacs support and all-aspect R-60M (hopefully fixed soon).

Well one has to repeat it since ppl dont learn ^^ (And there are alot of new ppl who have not gone through the earlier pages which can be understandable even if it forces others to repeat themselves =P )

And whats why the A-10s have so many Air-Air kills in dcs...

I hate flying cap over friendly Strikers as they always shoot me down after i save them...

F-5E vs MiG-21Bis is going to be an extremely competitive matchup. The Mig is superior until the merge, the Tiger after that point. They're both very bare bones aircraft, and I predict extremely close fought dogfights to be the norm when the two meet.

With the EL/M-2032's claimed 100km range, I'm not sure if the MiG-21bis will be THAT superior before the merge. Especially when you use the bad weather templates in the mission editor and the Caucasus map. The MiG-21 is really blind as a bat at longer ranges and in bad weather.

It will be really interesting to see how the F-5 tactics will develop when the module arrives :thumbup:

With the EL/M-2032's claimed 100km range, I'm not sure if the MiG-21bis will be THAT superior before the merge. Especially when you use the bad weather templates in the mission editor and the Caucasus map. The MiG-21 is really blind as a bat at longer ranges and in bad weather.

It will be really interesting to see how the F-5 tactics will develop when the module arrives :thumbup:

The EL/M-2032 is only in some Late Upgraded F-5s

(And its able to use Active radar missiles etc)

And its very much not the radar or F-5 Variant we are getting.

We are getting a F-5E with a Standard Radar.

So it has the APQ-159.

With about 37km stated range.

It still has the advantage over the Mig-21 that its not fixed though so you will be able to find enemies easier.

Edited by mattebubben

so on MP deathmatch, what can we do with that 4 bomb rack? : /

Just 4 bombs?

yes on the wings just 4 but on the belly that 1 hardpoint can rack up up to 5 bombs.

so F5 drivers would be capable of arming up to 9 bombs. :)

still ultimately superior ATG ordiance loading to the Mig21, and comparable to the Mirage 2000.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

Honestly if the F-5E take longer by my side is not a problem. The quality of BST products are appreciated.

The price, fair or not, have nothing to do with the idea I wrote before. Actually I think the price is really fair. Anyway I don't want comment more about because some people misunderstand my point.

Sorry, i was in kind of a blunt mood. anyways, back on topic :)

"Long life It is a waste not to notice that it is not noticed that it is milk in the title." Amazon.co.jp review for milk translated from Japanese

"Amidst the blue skies, A link from past to future. The sheltering wings of the protector..." - ACE COMBAT 4

"Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight"-Psalm 144:1 KJV

i5-4430 at 3.00GHz, 8GB RAM, GTX 1060 FE, Windows 7 x64

In addition to what Matt said about the Radar, while the F-5 has a better radar, the MiG has weapons guided by it. They're not great by any stretch of the imagination, but they're better than nothing, which is what the F-5 has to work with.

Now before Matt jumps on me for this, I will concede the point that this advantage gets even slimmer should BST be making the Aim-9P5 (Was it the 5 Matt?) which has an all aspect seeker like the L, though BST has given no indications they intend to do this.

The EL/M-2032 is only in some Late Upgraded F-5s

(And its able to use Active radar missiles etc)

And its very much not the radar or F-5 Variant we are getting.

We are getting a F-5E with a Standard Radar.

So it has the APQ-159.

With about 37km stated range.

It still has the advantage over the Mig-21 that its not fixed though so you will be able to find enemies easier.

What is the EL/M-2032 range?

Mission: "To intercept and destroy aircraft and airborne missiles in all weather conditions in order to establish and maintain air superiority in a designated area. To deliver air-to-ground ordnance on time in any weather condition. And to provide tactical reconaissance imagery" - F-14 Tomcat Roll Call

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In addition to what Matt said about the Radar, while the F-5 has a better radar, the MiG has weapons guided by it. They're not great by any stretch of the imagination, but they're better than nothing, which is what the F-5 has to work with.

Now before Matt jumps on me for this, I will concede the point that this advantage gets even slimmer should BST be making the Aim-9P5 (Was it the 5 Matt?) which has an all aspect seeker like the L, though BST has given no indications they intend to do this.

Aim-9P4 or Aim-9P5.

The P4 is the first Aim-9P all aspect variant and had a seeker that was a simplified variant of the Aim-9L (To reduce cost/Maintenance demands)

And the Aim-9P5 was a follow up variant that had the ability of the Aim-9M to more effectively differentiate between targets and countermeasures.

They have not stated anything about it but i would be really surprised (and annoyed) if they did not add atleast one of those two.

As the majority of F-5E users (that had good relations with the US) acquired these missiles in the 80s-90s to increase the effectiveness of the F-5E in the air-air Role.

So most of the major users like Switzerland,Saudi Arabia,South Korea,Chile,Taiwan,Thailand etc all used either the Aim-9P4 or the Aim-9P5

(And many if not most of other large scale users)

And they entered service in the Early/Mid 80

(Aim-9P4 early 80s with Aim-9P5 mid-Late 80s though both remained in production for a long time and did not replace each other)

And i dont think there is any reason not to give the F-5E the Aim-9P4 or P5 since it will only level the playing field and you still only have 2 missiles

Where as even the Mig-21 will have up to 6 missiles.

What is the EL/M-2032 range?

Well the Stated Range for the EL/M2032 is 100 km against a Fighter sized target (5m2 size plane)

and 150 km against large targets.

But the EL/M2032 is a radar that is not standard to the F-5E (though some Late Upgraded ones are equipped with it)

Its one of those radars that older fighters are commonly upgraded with (F-4 Terminator 2000,Kfir C.10,Mig-21 Lancer etc)

As well as some new built fighters like the TA/FA-50.

But as already stated the Standard F-5E we are getting does not have this Radar

As only Some Upgrade F-5E variants have this radar (Chile And Thailand being two users with F-5Es upgraded with the EL/M2032 radar)

Edited by mattebubben

Funny thing about, EL/M2032 :

As stated, it does not belong in the baseline F-5E we are getting, rather it is on some of the upgraded F-5 types. Aaaandd... also upgraded MiG-21 LanceR as operated by Romania :).

So it is interestingly used on both F-5 and MiG-21 upgrades :).

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

Looks like there is a delay and it won't come this month: http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2781413&postcount=26

It's now supposed to come in "summer" as a beta and not this month as has been said in one of the recent newsletters (http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2737668&postcount=23). :(

Well, business as usual I guess^^

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Looks like there is a delay and it won't come this month: http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2781413&postcount=26

It's now supposed to come in "summer" as a beta and not this month as has been said in one of the recent newsletters (http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2737668&postcount=23). :(

Well, business as usual I guess^^

That manual must be a monster to translate....

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

Leatherneck is waiting for new "engine binaries" to debug the Mig-21... and the AJS-37 is in the "crunch month". My guess is that ED will release DCS 2.5 this summer and holding off the F-5E until we have a stable and unified platform. If that is the case, I don't mind waiting a bit longer for the F-5E :thumbup:

I hope there is more info on this in tomorrows newsletter.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

F-5E Tigers have been readied by your maintenance crews! Waiting for a go from general command 'ED'.

<51>SERVER in multiplayer lobby :) URL (51st.hopto.org) same for TS3

Capture5.PNG.abfe03697e7e4859f28fc0d32524c9d4.PNG

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

tiger can find something at 100nm, but still need to creep into 5nm to launch its missile.

hope the target won't find the hunter is running after him.

its RWR had been removed by mechanic in order to exchange vodka, plz keep secret.