Is a TM Warthog extension a good investment ?

I found the 100mm extension with base warthog spring only sticks in the extreme forward position due to the front heavy design on the warthog.

My wasy100 120mm tends to stick earlier when forward and at the very extremes of all directions.

It does worry me that if I black out from excessive Gs the stick wont re-centre.

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate. OpenXR, Open XR tool kit disabled.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC.

Vaicom user. Virpil Mongoose base CM3 & Mongoose stick CM2 (not set for dead stick), Virpil TCS with apache Grip. MFG pedals with damper upgrade. Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.

Figure out a way to lower your stick and get at least 12.5cm.

I moved from 7.5cm, to 10, and currently I am using 12.5cm. I wouldn't use the Warthog without it.

I was reading the reviews on Sahays site and in one case the customer had been advised against 10 cm (which he first intended to get) and instead take 7.5 cm which was described as long enough. That would make you think that shorter has some advantage over longer.

I got the 100mm and the only change I'd consider is a longer one.

The way the stick moves with the added length is what makes the difference. You're moving the grip rather than pivoting it. The shorter you go the less pronounced that effect is.

Personally, I see no benefit to going shorter.

476th vFG Alumni

I have the TM Warthog HOTAS controller and also a wheel stand pro. I'm thinking about getting an extension for the stick.

As I understand it would offer the following advantage.

More realistic feel of the stick since the TM warthog stick has too stiff springs which also means easier to control planes. I also think it feels to stiff and have read that it is unrealistic in this regard

I see one disadvantage with using an extension

The stick will be at an higher position which might be uncomfortable and make it more difficult to use the stick.

One question here is at what height should the stick at to be as realistic as possible ?

If I would buy an extension I have found Simpit Technologies as an interesting seller

http://www.simpit.co.nz/index.php/products/thrustmaster-warthog-extension

And then the question arise which length is the best choice ? I see option to choose between 7.5 10 12.5 and 15 cm.

You can always build your own extension with PVC pipe, PVC glue/solder and a Gardena hose adapter. Dealing with PVC makes easier to give the shaft the shape you want. Just heat a small area on the PVC pipe and apply pressure slightly to give it the bend you like. If you messed up, try again with another segment of PVC. To wire the stick to the base use a PS2 extension and remove a couple of pins according to many diaghrams found in the internet

This is how I did mine in an hour :thumbup:

To figure out the extension height, take measures from the base to your hand with your arm laying on your legs while seated. Find your most comfortable position and that's it. If you don't like the resistance that this new extension gives you add as many springs as you consider neccesary

Edited by 7rooper

My rig specs:

Intel Core i7 4770 @3.4Ghz // Corsair 16GB DDR3 // MoBo Asus Z87K // HDD 1TB 7200RPM // eVGA Nvidia GTX 760GT 2GB DDR5 // LG 3D 47" 1920x1080 // Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS // Saitek Combat Pro Pedals // Thrustmaster MFD Cougar pack // PS3 Eye + FTNOIR

• 2 weeks later...

I'm planning on a stick extension for a full cockpit so a longer extension will be my choice. I was watching the install video from Sahaj (http://warthog-extensions-by-sahaj.com/my-product/) and noticed he set the offset angle of his joystick by rotating it slightly to the left before tightening the locking ring.

This makes sense because between the base connection and the joystick connection there is now the extension tube and a flexible cable. This cable between the two connections would allow enough flexibility for the joystick to be rotated for the offset. A simple solution.

Am I correct in my understanding of this? Can an owner of the Sahaj extension verify my assumption on this?

Thanks.

Edited by JCook

I bought mine from this guy: http://forums.eagle.ru/member.php?u=87134

Solid and simple piece of work. You can adjust your stick in any direction without any fuzz.

The extension is a bit heavy though so if you get a long one the stick will not re-center on its own anymore.

I think mine is 10cm (the extension, that is).

Have a look here: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=121242

The guy is from UK.

Svend, can you tell me what material your extension is made of?

Is it stainless steel?

And does the weight influence the use of this extension?

I'm considering between this one and the Sahaj one, and the Sahaj is in aluminium and thus lighter.

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

Svend, can you tell me what material your extension is made of?

Is it stainless steel?

And does the weight influence the use of this extension?

I'm considering between this one and the Sahaj one, and the Sahaj is in aluminium and thus lighter.

It's steel and it's pretty solid.

But the stick returns to center from all positions when you let go.

The center detent is less significant with the extension, still there though, but for me that's a plus. Might not be for you.

I like this type of extension. It's a simple, solid, one piece extension that would still be there even is your house came down on it.

For longer ones i see the benefit of using alu, but for 10 cm i doesn't matter.

Talk to wasy, he seems like a nice guy and he will tell you what you need to know.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, i5 6600K, Geforce 980 GTX Ti, 32 GB Ram, Samsung EVO SSD.

• 1 year later...
I'm using a 3" (about 7.5cm) extension, I originally made it 4" but I cut it down and re-threaded it at 3" and I think it's perfect. IMO when the extension gets to be too long you actually have more stick deflection than is realistic, even though the stick itself is shorter than a real life counterpart, because of the large range of motion the ball socket provides. But most will agree longer is better if you really like helos.

You can simply reduce the saturation X value in the axis tuning in DCS instead of cutting your extension ;)

Also doable with TARGET software.

do you guys anchor it/screw it/bolt the baseplate or just let it stand freely on the ground/mount on your seat?

Connected to a base w/ 3 bolts (for quick change with other joysticks)

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

You can simply reduce the saturation X value in the axis tuning in DCS instead of cutting your extension ;)

Also doable with TARGET software.

Aware, but I'd prefer a physical stop.

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" Touch Screen MFD monitor, TIR5

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer

Aware, but I'd prefer a physical stop.

Still useful for others ;)

For a physical stop I guess one could also build a customized plastic disk that is smaller than the default one.

Of better/easier, wrap some foam around the "neck" of the gimbal part so it hits the "collar" sooner (mmm, I might do that actually, that will act as a damper).

I personaly prefer not hitting the physical stop at all as I don't want to accidentaly break the gimbal part due to repeated shocks (using 15 cm extension).