Hydraulic failure: is there anything I can do?

domini99

When my hydraulic system went leak, you quickly lose control.

Is there anything I can do? Does the aircraft have a backup system that allows me to continue flying after the hydraulic system went leak?

Hi

Our F-86F-35 has two hydraulic systems, normal and alternative, to power the ailerons and controllable horizontally tail.

Flight Control Normal Hydraulic System

Flight Control Alternate Hydraulic System (Backup System)

XAux_s7h2JjNTzn4gK_C3bVRy8X-k864I_Ug-LA8rtw=w1071-h628-no

When the normal system pressure falls below 650 psi an automatic electric switch that allows you to transfer control to the alternative system, a warning light will indicate that happened occurs, (Alternate On Warning Light).

If automatic transfer fails, you should perform manually(Flight Control Switch). While, the alternative hydraulic pump is connected directly to the bus of the battery to ensure operation.

Note:

Automatic or manual transfer to alternative flight system is prevented if the pressure in the alternative system is below the minimum operating pressure.

I think, you have a power failure in the bus primary that prevents transfer the system from normal to alternate, you have to switch the flight control switch to NORMAL position , to battery power the alternate hydraulic pump as the primary bus does not, or maybe the pressure in alternate hydraulic system is low.
hnJ8AlbJSJ4gRzbB3BvG_ZXdfx2s00lt8s9THN3DzeY=w610-h823-no

On the other hand, there is the Emergency Override Handle for activating the hydraulic control system alternative flight in case of failure of the automatic or manual transfer, regardless of the value of the pressure in the normal and alternative system. Using this lever directly connects the electric pump of the alternative system to bus battery.

But this lever system is not simulated.

khfTTxjM_TNcPHamjOmQsMUyGtv8WVZsuSpLFz1HuRE=w1064-h831-no

I hope I have been helpful

Regards

Brisafresca

Thanks for the reply, this information will sure come into help.

Maybe this will save me next time.

Last time I accidently collided onto an enemy causing my left aileron and wingtip to pop off. The plane continued to fly fine but after 20/30 seconds hydraulic pressure had dropped to zero and I could not do anything but bail out and watch the plane dive towards the dirt.

It did unfortunately not save me in the fight I had today.

A friend I was fighting against shot of a tiny bit of my right wing and my right aileron. The aircraft was perfectly controllable with little aileron input needed to level out, but I saw my hydraulic pressure dropping and there was nothing I could do.

It's a shame though that the aircraft cannot continue to fly even though it is not heavily damaged.

It did unfortunately not save me in the fight I had today.

A friend I was fighting against shot of a tiny bit of my right wing and my right aileron. The aircraft was perfectly controllable with little aileron input needed to level out, but I saw my hydraulic pressure dropping and there was nothing I could do.

It's a shame though that the aircraft cannot continue to fly even though it is not heavily damaged.

In this case and the earlier you had to make use of the Emergency Override Handle, though not functional. (both hydraulic systems failed)

The problem is that the F-86 is still BETA after a year.:cry_2:

Regards

Brisafresca

In this case and the earlier you had to make use of the Emergency Override Handle, though not functional. (both hydraulic systems failed)

The problem is that the F-86 is still BETA after a year.:cry_2:

Regards

Brisafresca

I hope they make it functional soon :)