DCS and Windows 10

ivo

Hi to all 07/29 seem that Win 10 will be free to all windows users but DCS how work with it ? :)

bye

cpu:I7-6700k Z170 16GB Ram DDR4 Gtx 1080 8Gb DDR5 11GBs SSD 500 Gb 2 HDD 1Tb Evga supernova G2 850w Case Bequiet series 800 Silent base Win 10 pro 64 bit

My wishlist: F-35/B-17G/F4U Corsair/Yak-3/P-40B Tomahawk

I tried DCS World on the developer preview for a while, but reinstalled Windows 7 a few weeks ago.

Main reasons for dumping Windows 10:

- Extremely low frame rates (average of 6-7 fps with all settings on LOW, compared to 24-30 fps with settings HIGH on the same PC running Windows 7)

- Very aggressive auto-update, reboots your PC without warning, and renders it unusable while the update is in progress (even when it is supposed to be running in the background)

I know that the first issue may well have to do with it being a preview and not optimized for anything, but for now, I'll stick with Windows 7.

Dutch Flanker Display Team | LLTM 2010 Tiger Spirit Award

Will there be a performance jump if going from win7 to win10 - As I understand Win7 users will finally get the chance to experince better Direct X. I don't like the idea that I can just "mod" win7 to win 10. I like fresh clean installs. Maybe it is all in my mind. But it always feel better to wipe the drive clean and start all over..

Oh and don't forget to use ninite - Great tool

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

DCS World 1.2.X is working with DirectX 9, DCS World 2.X will work with DirecX 11 - the graphic interface will boost your FPS (hopefully) not the OS.

Playing: F-16C

Intel i7-13700KF, 64GB DDR5 @5600MHz, RTX 4080 ZOTAC Trinity, WIN 11 64Bit Prof.

Squadron "Serious Uglies" / Discord-Server: https://discord.gg/2WccwBh

Ghost0815

1, Windows 10 is still only in limited support tech preview.

2, driver support was still partial, AMD and nVidia have just recently released Full drivers.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Hi to all 07/29 seem that Win 10 will be free to all windows users but DCS how work with it ? :)

bye

I did a quick dcs test with some preview build win 10 and performance seemed to be similiar to win 7. It will likely not cause any issue migrating to Win 10 for us DCS users, IMHO.

Windows 10, I7 8700k@5,15GHz, 32GB Ram, GTX1080, HOTAS Warthog, Oculus Rift CV1, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] ЯБоГ32_Принз

How Might WINDOWS 10 affect DCS World/Modules etc ?

Like I'm sure many other Windows 7 and 8 users have, I have received a Free "Get Windows 10" Upgrade Offer in my Task Bar/Tray.

Here is a LINK to some relevant information.

It is a free upgrade to millions who already use Win 7 64 SP1 and Win 8.

Those who qualify probably already see the GW 10 (otherwise listed as GWX) icon.

This update is supposed to begin July 29th.

Anyway, I am always skeptical about Windows Upgrades. I usually wait a full year after a new version release before I bother upgrading. This is to ensure that all my software and hardware is compatible AND I actually like the format (eg: I do NOT like the look or feel of Win 8 so I will never upgrade to that version).

But right now I am more concerned with how GWX will affect DCS products ?

Is DCS/ED aware of the latest Windows upgrade ?

Will the current version of DCS World and/or the up-coming DCS World 2 work in Win10 ?

Does anyone know ?

SnowTiger:joystick:

Windows 10 brings the DX12 to the table. Until DCS will be updated with DX12 there will be no gain with Win 10.

I think he was asking how DCS will run on Windows 10 as a whole, nothing to do with DX12.

Ps AMD and nVidia are both putting out Lowered Overhead DX11 Drivers for WinX.

So yeah there actually might be a small improvement.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Windows 10 brings the DX12 to the table. Until DCS will be updated with DX12 there will be no gain with Win 10.

Thanks that was what I was looking for =)

I am very satisfied with win7 and it fits the needs I have.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Actually benchmarks today already show games running slightly better (2-5%) on Win8 vs Win7 , so Win10 should show atleast that over Win7

IAF.Tomer

My Rig:

Core i7 6700K + Corsair Hydro H100i GTX

Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7,G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3000Mhz

Gigabyte GTX 980 OC

Samsung 840EVO 250GB + 3xCrucial 275GB in RAID 0 (1500 MB/s)

Asus MG279Q | TM Warthog + Saitek Combat Pedals + TrackIR 5

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Will there be a performance jump if going from win7 to win10 - As I understand Win7 users will finally get the chance to experince better Direct X. I don't like the idea that I can just "mod" win7 to win 10. I like fresh clean installs. Maybe it is all in my mind. But it always feel better to wipe the drive clean and start all over..

Oh and don't forget to use ninite - Great tool

No. Just like going from Vista to 7 to 8.1. No difference in frame rates. DX12 won't help DCS because DCS is a DX9 game. If we are lucky we will have a DX11 version of DCS out by the end of the year long after DX12 is released. DX12 would probably help DCS but I don't see the engine being upgraded to DX12 anytime in the next few years given how long it has taken ED to create a DX11 engine.

For games that support DX12 you may see a small performance increase. Depends on the kind of game and how well it uses DX12. DX12 probably won't become the norm for a while, so there is no reason to rush to Win 10 if you're happy with 7.

Thanks to all who replied.

It appears that there at least wont be any adverse affects associated with the Windows version upgrade. That is what I am trying to ascertain.

It would be great to get a response from ED/DCS too.

SnowTiger:joystick:

I would always suggest waiting a few months after a new OS is released for the bugs to be worked out first. Since this is free to Win7 and up users, I intend to install it first on this old pc that I mostly only use for browsing, sim pc later. Keep an eye on the forums (gaming and tech) and see what others are experiencing before making the plunge yourself.:smilewink:

Win 10, Gigabyte Aorus Ultra with i5 9600KF @ 4.6GHz, 32G DDR4 3200 RAM, GTX 1070, TrackIR 5, TM Warthog stick on VPC Warbird base, Warthog Throttle for jets & helis, CH Throttle Quadrant for props, CH Pro Pedals, 500GB SSDs for installed sims :gun_smilie:

I use Win8.1 Pro x64, having Win10 Tech Preview on a 50GB HDD partition for testing purposes. I've only tried War Thunder in it several months ago, it worked just fine. I should get to try DCS and other games, though.

About another subject in this same topic about performance improvements when going to Windows 10: IIRC, Windows 7 has DX11 support, but only a few features of DX11.1 and maybe(?) DX11.2. If DCS will use the technology of DX11.1 and DX11.2, people upgrading from Win7 to Win10 could get to see performance/graphical improvements. And then there's obviously the optimization of Windows itself, lower-end PC's can get some performance improvements if the OS is better optimized.

I tried DCS World on the developer preview for a while, but reinstalled Windows 7 a few weeks ago.

Main reasons for dumping Windows 10:

- Extremely low frame rates (average of 6-7 fps with all settings on LOW, compared to 24-30 fps with settings HIGH on the same PC running Windows 7)

- Very aggressive auto-update, reboots your PC without warning, and renders it unusable while the update is in progress (even when it is supposed to be running in the background)

I know that the first issue may well have to do with it being a preview and not optimized for anything, but for now, I'll stick with Windows 7.

Wait for the release folks. Don't scrap your Win 7, 8, 8.1 yet. Aim for August/September.

You can just install Win10 Tech Preview in another partition and keep your current OS, lol.

That way, you choose which OS to start when you boot your PC.

Edited by Joao611
  • Like 1

I would always suggest waiting a few months after a new OS is released for the bugs to be worked out first. Since this is free to Win7 and up users, I intend to install it first on this old pc that I mostly only use for browsing, sim pc later. Keep an eye on the forums (gaming and tech) and see what others are experiencing before making the plunge yourself.:smilewink:

Agree with every word

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i5 4690K | ASUS Z-97PRO Gaming Mobo | Nvidia Gigabyte GTX970 3.5/0.5 GB Windforce3 | G.Skill Ripjaws-X 2x8GB DDR3 1600Mhz | Samsung Evo 120GB SSD | Win10 Pro | Antec 750w 80 Bronze Modular

I ran XP for years and skipped Vista. I'll probably stick with Win7 until I have a real reason to prefer a tablet OS <snigger>.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

You can just install Win10 Tech Preview in another partition and keep your current OS, lol.

That way, you choose which OS to start when you boot your PC.

That's what I said, or was trying to say. Keep your primary win7, 8, 8.1 partition unchanged and you will be fine. :smilewink:

I ran XP for years and skipped Vista. I'll probably stick with Win7 until I have a real reason to prefer a tablet OS <snigger>.

:thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]W10(64bit)Asus Rog Strix Z370-F - i7 8700K - Dark Rock Pro 4 - 16 giga ram Corsair vengeance 3000 - MSI RTX 2070 Super - Asus Rog Phobeus soundcard - Z906 Surround speaker - Track ir5 - HOTAS Warthog

I was wondering. There where various flavours of Win 7 I have Ultimate and just upgraded my son's gaming rig from vista to Win 7 Pro. Will the free upgrade reflect which edition your running or is it a single OS for all

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]