HOTAS Warthog or Logitech G940?

Hi,

I've been using a TM Warthog for a few years. No problems to speak of with the Warthog.

Just after purchasing the Warthog, I came into possession of a Logitech G940 FFB HOTAS rig. I had it connected for a brief while just fooling around with it but I never got serious about configuring it with DCS (or any other Sim for that matter).

Lately, I've gotten curious about FFB in the Sims I fly which include DCS, CloD, BOS and Xplane.

So, question for those who use a G940 and for those who may have an opinion on the Warthog vs. the G940 in DCS:

Would it be worth the effort to switch to the G940, considering the much aired and various problems with that rig?

Thanks for the input.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

3rd Mar Div

RVN '66-'67

Hi JJ

I have had a G940 since the early days of DCS and found the FFB to be really useful in the A10C right from the start. Now with many other modules available, having FFB effects, it also feels worthwhile to have a 'generic' configuration hall effect HOTAS (with split throttles too) and not one so specific.

I particularly like the effects in the UH1 such as force trim feedback, and also the way the stick centre position moves when trimming in the fixed wing modules.

Sure the G940 has its issues, and with its discontinuation theres a possibility it could have frustrations later on. Knowing that the only FFB HOTAS is not on sale anymore made me get cheap used G940 in good nick, as a back up cos, I like the FFB so much.

i5/9600K wc, Z390XP, 32Gb/DDR4, 1080ti wc, 850 Evo SSD, TMWH, DSD FLT1, ORs.

A10C, UH1, MI8, BF109K4, SA342M, L39C, M2000C, Mig21BIS, Mig15, F86, C101, Hawk, F-14, F-5E, Spitfire MkIX, AV8B N/A, FA-18C, P51-D, Yak 52, Mig19p, F-16C, JF-17 OPF, Red Flag2, MusRel, BnboB, Tbs, TEW 3.0, TTQ, MI8 OFC, SC.

The g940 is awesome with Black shark. and perhaps other choppers but I don't own them.

When you trim the stick it stays in the trimmed position. No return to centre needed. Its the most realistic joystick for flying choppers with this trim mechanism.

I myself had only problems with the rudder and throttle. The rudder wasn't accurate enough for my taste so I removed the centering spring only to find out it has a hardware dead zone. I have got the MFG Crosswind now to replace that.

The throttle had some issues with spiking. I bought a cable extender for 2 Euros from a Spanish dude who had a chinese company make these extenders but he could only buy in bulk so he is still selling of surplus. shipping cost was 8 euros though :)

This worked for some time because the original cable was pulling on the circuitry. Now though Some buttons don't work when main throttle (z i think) is fully forward (afterburner) so its still pulling on circuitry i think.

To solve this I have stuck a piece of plastic on the throttle so it cann't flex 100 percent forward. it now reaches about 95 percent. i then recalibrated and now every button works even if the throttle is fully forward.

The joystick itself is working flawlessly. and after all these years it really has been worth it. I bought one of the first here in holland.

The throttle and rudder are replaceable. The joystick isnt. I can't ever go to a joystick without forcefeedback...

I might buy the warthog throttle quadrant someday... then I have the best of both worlds :)

MFG Crosswind, G940 FFB Joystick and awesome Warthog Throttle quadrant :)

edit: one thing though is that you can't calibrate the joystick. So i don't know if the joystick always had this but there is a hardware dead zone at the extreme axis. on the x axis to the right there is cm play at the end of movement where no rawdata is registered. to the left its less than a halve cm. on the y axis there is also a small dead zone at the end of the axis in both directions. If you trim beyond this point then you notice that the force feedback aint working in that "band".

I don't know if its because wear and tear or that this was always the case. My muscle memory has adapted though and I intuitively know the boundaries of my device.

Edited by kingpinda

Reemit,

Tell me, have you had many problems with the G940?

Nope I havent had any problems as far as I can recall, I have heard of the throttle spiking problem but havent seen it on my throttle in the time I have had it. It all works just as it did when I bought it and its had some heavy use. (I hope I didnt just tempt fate then).

i5/9600K wc, Z390XP, 32Gb/DDR4, 1080ti wc, 850 Evo SSD, TMWH, DSD FLT1, ORs.

A10C, UH1, MI8, BF109K4, SA342M, L39C, M2000C, Mig21BIS, Mig15, F86, C101, Hawk, F-14, F-5E, Spitfire MkIX, AV8B N/A, FA-18C, P51-D, Yak 52, Mig19p, F-16C, JF-17 OPF, Red Flag2, MusRel, BnboB, Tbs, TEW 3.0, TTQ, MI8 OFC, SC.

I run both control setups G940(BUO836 modded) a TMWH(extended center mounted) and CH pedals. I use the WH for jets and the G940 for everything else.

I love FFB especially the additional stall warning you get so I find it is worth the PITA it is to swap it all to fly different aircraft:)

I have both the Thrustmaster Warthog and the G940. I also switch out the sticks depending on what I'm flying, however, I never use the Logitech throttle or rudder pedals - I continue to use the Warthog throttle and my old SimPad rudder pedals, (at least until my MFG's arrive)

• 5 weeks later...

I'm on the fence now. My G940 logitech throttle is starting to malfunction again.

I already replaced my pedals with the MFG Crosswind but now am looking for a replacement Throttle.

Really thinking i'm gonna buy the warthog HOTAS. in my country they don't sell the throttle seperately. In UK the throttle by itself is 200 pounds which is about 280 euro's. But I can buy the thottle and stick for 300 euro's here in Holland.

So for 20 euros more I have a high quality spare stick for the dreadful day which I hope will never come because i can't fly without my FFB :)

• 2 weeks later...

I would say the warthog.After my Logitech g940 broke down after 4 years of flying different games,i was in your sitution wondering what too choose.Would i go with a g940 and have forcefeedback or a hotas warthog and have many more buttons on the stick and throttle.well i never regret i choosed the warthog.The precision in that joystick is insane.And ive even wondered why the heck i liked forcefeedback so much.When all it does is rumbling around counter centering your flight/handmoves.All my flying in RoF,BOS,DCS have improved much by changing too warthog,even though i have no force felling off the Aircraft.

• 4 weeks later...
I would say the warthog.After my Logitech g940 broke down after 4 years of flying different games,i was in your sitution wondering what too choose.Would i go with a g940 and have forcefeedback or a hotas warthog and have many more buttons on the stick and throttle.well i never regret i choosed the warthog.The precision in that joystick is insane.And ive even wondered why the heck i liked forcefeedback so much.When all it does is rumbling around counter centering your flight/handmoves.All my flying in RoF,BOS,DCS have improved much by changing too warthog,even though i have no force felling off the Aircraft.

I don't use my G940 stick as a rumble pad... I use it in Helo's to trim. So I always KNOW where my stick is and I don't have to return to center. Also hands of flying with FFB in Helo's is just easier.

In WWII crates I feel when I get in a stall. I must confess I havent flown many DCS WWII crates yet but in RoF, CoD and stuff this is very well simulated.

I took the plunge however and Flying the A10-C with the warthog HOTAS is awsome. Flying Helo's I use the warthog throttle but will use the G940 stick. My desk is big enough for both sticks. So easy to swap :) I will however mod my Warthog stick to lengthen the stick. I might then try flying helo's again without FFB.

Up until today, I would have wholeheartedly agreed that the Warthog would have been my first, if not only choice.

However, I am very sorry to say that the once efficient after sales support given by Guillemot, has fallen disgustingly short of my lowest expectations.

Firstly, there appears to be a real issue with the reliability of the electronics in both the Throttle unit, and the joystick. I have had my HOTAS system for a couple of years, and in that time, both main boards have fried, and I have had to replace the pinky switch in the throttle unit 3 times so far. Add to that the issues with stiction, and other well publicisied problems, it seems that the standard of quality has fallen well short of the mark.

All that aside, if parts can be obtained, then things may not have been desperate. Unfortunately, despite paying out an exorbitant $51.00 on the latest occasion for a replacement main board, nothing has appeared after 4 weeks of waiting.

The excuse given was that the British postal service have lost it, even though the reference number given fails to produce any tracking record. The next issue, which in my opinion is the real crux of the matter, is that until Guillemot have conducted all their enquiries into the lost package, they are unwilling to send out a replacement.

Despite numerous calls, e-mails etc, I have been singly unable to get the slightest assistance from them, and today I instead asked for my money back. One of their customer services representatives was so surly, short, and plain rude that I have written to their CEO to complain. This is not at all what I would expect from a company that charges such high prices for it's products.

I have in the past been the first to praise the Warthog, but from here on, I shall not be able to do so. Frankly, I am utterly ashamed to have ever recommended them to anyone, and I hereby apologise to you all for ever having done so.

• 1 year later...
I have both the Thrustmaster Warthog and the G940. I also switch out the sticks depending on what I'm flying, however, I never use the Logitech throttle or rudder pedals - I continue to use the Warthog throttle and my old SimPad rudder pedals, (at least until my MFG's arrive)

Can you please tell me how you manage that? I am soon getting a warthog kit but figure I should keep the 940 for Black Shark. I would love to know your basic way of swapping . esp since the 940 is so diff.

Up until today, I would have wholeheartedly agreed that the Warthog would have been my first, if not only choice.

However, I am very sorry to say that the once efficient after sales support given by Guillemot, has fallen disgustingly short of my lowest expectations.

Firstly, there appears to be a real issue with the reliability of the electronics in both the Throttle unit, and the joystick. I have had my HOTAS system for a couple of years, and in that time, both main boards have fried, and I have had to replace the pinky switch in the throttle unit 3 times so far. Add to that the issues with stiction, and other well publicisied problems, it seems that the standard of quality has fallen well short of the mark.

All that aside, if parts can be obtained, then things may not have been desperate. Unfortunately, despite paying out an exorbitant $51.00 on the latest occasion for a replacement main board, nothing has appeared after 4 weeks of waiting.

The excuse given was that the British postal service have lost it, even though the reference number given fails to produce any tracking record. The next issue, which in my opinion is the real crux of the matter, is that until Guillemot have conducted all their enquiries into the lost package, they are unwilling to send out a replacement.

Despite numerous calls, e-mails etc, I have been singly unable to get the slightest assistance from them, and today I instead asked for my money back. One of their customer services representatives was so surly, short, and plain rude that I have written to their CEO to complain. This is not at all what I would expect from a company that charges such high prices for it's products.

I have in the past been the first to praise the Warthog, but from here on, I shall not be able to do so. Frankly, I am utterly ashamed to have ever recommended them to anyone, and I hereby apologise to you all for ever having done so.

What is the state of affairs with the chinese made wathog hotas? Will there ever be a quality hotas made that fits DCS? WILL IT EVER HAPPEN?

If you want top quality stuff these days you have to either make it yourself or pay the premium for pro-grade equipment. Either way, you'll have to pay proportionately more in terms of time and/or money. FWIW, I feel like the Warthog has more than enough quality for the price I paid at $300 total for the throttle and stick.

As for switching between the Warthog and G940 sticks, it's easy if you don't have them secured as both are standalone. You can leave them both plugged in without a problem in DCS.

If you want top quality stuff these days you have to either make it yourself or pay the premium for pro-grade equipment. Either way, you'll have to pay proportionately more in terms of time and/or money. FWIW, I feel like the Warthog has more than enough quality for the price I paid at $300 total for the throttle and stick.

As for switching between the Warthog and G940 sticks, it's easy if you don't have them secured as both are standalone. You can leave them both plugged in without a problem in DCS.

Our you can buy a CH Products FighterStick/Combat Stick, a Pro throttle and Pro pedals.