Training on A-10C...please help.

sethshark

Ok guys.

I got Sabre Training missions and campaigns.

But so far, they all assume you know what you are doing.

In others words, like for instance all the practice missions just tell you to do certain things but they dont show you how to do anything.

I bought the practice, advanced and tactical mission

All of it....but so far they just tell you and not show you.

I have reverted back to the built in training.....

I mean which ones of sabre training teach you?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Manfred von Richthofen, better known as the "Red Baron". He scored the most officially accepted kills in World War I and is arguably the most famous flying ace of all time.

I beleive the maple flag campaigns require you to have q thorough understanding of the aircraft and it's systems before you try them.

You should definetely start with the tutorials that come with the game, all of them!

After that u might need the good ol' RTFM.

Here's Recon Stewart's Youtube Channel, here he posts playthroughs of all Maple Flag Campaigns.

I beleive the maple flag campaigns require you to have q thorough understanding of the aircraft and it's systems before you try them.

You should definetely start with the tutorials that come with the game, all of them!

After that u might need the good ol' RTFM.

Here's Recon Stewart's Youtube Channel, here he posts playthroughs of all Maple Flag Campaigns.

Thank You So Much.

I freaking Love flying the A-10C so much!!!

Each little thing I Learn, It excites me even more and more.

Like when I found out that I had a slew on my Hotas throttle, I was

So happy!!!!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Manfred von Richthofen, better known as the "Red Baron". He scored the most officially accepted kills in World War I and is arguably the most famous flying ace of all time.

DCS can be very intimidating to new users.

Many of the modules are considered "study" sims that require in depth knowledge and training to be able to make full use of them.

Our Qualification Campaigns are a set of missions to test your knowledge and techniques to operate the various aircraft or vehicles. They should be attempted after you have some knowledge and understanding of the aircraft or vehicle systems.

We recommend training in this order:

1. Read the DCS aircraft or vehicle manuals and review our Amplified Checklists provided with some of the Qualification Campaigns.

2. Watch the training videos and watch other videos that others have done.

3. Do some test flights or test missions of your own using the in game missions or Fast Mission Creator.

4. If practice missions are provided use them to get good at understanding what the Qualification missions will be like and what you need to do to pass.

Then when you feel ready, do the Qualification Campaigns to earn your Qualification.

F-15C-User-Bar-ACM.v2.jpg

MapleFlagMissions - Read Our Blog for Updates

Yeah, I am learning a little at a time. Theres so much to learn.....

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sethshark, it's very important that you don't skip number 1 in Sabre-TLA's last post.. Have the self discipline to RTFM or you'll be spinning your wheels. Flying the hawg requires you pay the toll: it's either reading or time.. if you don't read the manual you can expect your learning curve to take a whole lot more time.. it will be very long and jagged. If you do read the manual it will cut your learning time in half and double your effectiveness. Unlike other 'games' out there, you can't get around paying the toll.

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

Did you once mention you were having trouble with the stock A-10C training? Did you ever figure that out?

Yeah, I have actually returned to those in hopes to learn the actual usage of the weapons systems....

Ive thought about doing screenies of each step.....

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sethshark, it's very important that you don't skip number 1 in Sabre-TLA's last post.. Have the self discipline to RTFM or you'll be spinning your wheels. Flying the hawg requires you pay the toll: it's either reading or time.. if you don't read the manual you can expect your learning curve to take a whole lot more time.. it will be very long and jagged. If you do read the manual it will cut your learning time in half and double your effectiveness. Unlike other 'games' out there, you can't get around paying the toll.

Ok. I am going to read the manual.

I can now see that there is no shortcut......

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Just be patient.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Ok. I am going to read the manual.

I can now see that there is no shortcut......

Don't be so sad. Reading manuals is not that boring as it might look like.

Not all parts are mandatory at the beginning. There are some history parts which can be skipped at the moment if you are impatient.

In fact, if you are impatient and you know basics about flying, you can read just Combat Employment (pg. 506 +), and maybe some other mandatory details first. so you can destroy things right away :).

After that you can study one by one system and study it into more details ie. Communications, Navigation, Emergency proc...

When you pass all systems, and finish few campaigns, missions than come back to the Qualification Campaigns.

I recommend you to learn start-up procedure first. This will introduce you to almost all important plane systems of the plane so you will know at least what you have and where it is. Also, lot of servers are demanding start from the ramp if you are interested to fly online.

Edited by marluk
[B]*NOB* Lucky[/B] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Tko vrijedi leti, tko leti vrijedi, tko ne leti ne vrijedi

Hi Seth, I have a few days off work this week. UK time but perhaps we could get together. Happy to take you through some basics.

Great! Accept this Seth, one on one instructions are invaluable.

[B]*NOB* Lucky[/B] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Tko vrijedi leti, tko leti vrijedi, tko ne leti ne vrijedi

Just be patient.

Thanks Bill...

I am reading the Manual...

The file is called DCS-A-10C_Flight_Manual_EN.pdf..

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi Seth, I have a few days off work this week. UK time but perhaps we could get together. Happy to take you through some basics.

Hey Ragtop, Man that sounds Great!!

What is the best way to do this?

I live in Dallas, Texas Central Standard Time Zone...

What is the best for you?

I can stay up late because when-ever I am on call I get called sometimes in the night..

What is the next step in getting connected??

Once again, I really appreciate it!!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Don't be so sad. Reading manuals is not that boring as it might look like.

Not all parts are mandatory at the beginning. There are some history parts which can be skipped at the moment if you are impatient.

In fact, if you are impatient and you know basics about flying, you can read just Combat Employment (pg. 506 +), and maybe some other mandatory details first. so you can destroy things right away :).

After that you can study one by one system and study it into more details ie. Communications, Navigation, Emergency proc...

When you pass all systems, and finish few campaigns, missions than come back to the Qualification Campaigns.

I recommend you to learn start-up procedure first. This will introduce you to almost all important plane systems of the plane so you will know at least what you have and where it is. Also, lot of servers are demanding start from the ramp if you are interested to fly online.

HURRAYYY!!! Going to page 506 + Right now...

I can fly pretty good so far, and I can land the A-10C anywhere without crashing anywhere...I might have lost the front wheel, but the pilot and the plane where intact.

I understand exactly how to land...

Screen_150518_005417.thumb.jpg.624aa3bef8ff7bc2244875773d280fae.jpg

Edited by sethshark

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hey Guys, I found this and it says its a "A-10C Keys list"..

Before I print this out, is this the "Complete List". It's called A-10C KEYS.pdf

Will this help me and should I print this out?

A-10C KEYS.pdf

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I can do up until 1900ish your time any day this week including today. That's about 0100 for me so I can't go much later for you!

I can host us a simple private server, and we can use Skype or Teamspeak to communicate.

If you let me know what kind of thing you'd like to do I can build a simple mission.

I'm no expert; but I can show you how to get the bird running, configure weapon profiles, get into the sky, navigate to - and put ordinance on targets using the various systems, and then if we're really lucky, get back down on the ground!

476th vFG Alumni

Hey Guys, I found this and it says its a "A-10C Keys list"..

Before I print this out, is this the "Complete List". It's called A-10C KEYS.pdf

Will this help me and should I print this out?

If you don't have a HOTAS, then definitely. Knowing the HOTAS commands is vital to flying the Hog. Getting controls configured well before flying is of paramount importance.

To reiterate, the HOTAS commands are the most important, because they virtually run the whole aircraft. Everything else is mouse clickable, and therefore, of less importance.

Edited by Ragtop

476th vFG Alumni

It's up to you. I think it's mostly useless considering you'll be clicking on switches in cockpit, using HOTAS and then there will be only a handful of keyboard commands left. If you want to print something, then this.

This is good as well. Maybe put it in your smartphone/tablet. Having a device with charts/checklists etc. is way better than printing six million pages or messing with kneeboard ingame.

Edited by GeorgeLKMT

I can do up until 1900ish your time any day this week including today. That's about 0100 for me so I can't go much later for you!

I can host us a simple private server, and we can use Skype or Teamspeak to communicate.

If you let me know what kind of thing you'd like to do I can build a simple mission.

I'm no expert; but I can show you how to get the bird running, configure weapon profiles, get into the sky, navigate to - and put ordinance on targets using the various systems, and then if we're really lucky, get back down on the ground!

OK, I can be home at around 1800 which is 6:00PM my time. I leave each day from work at 1700.

I can download Teamspeak because I think I've done that before...

As far as Missions go, man, I would really Love to just be able to lock on to something with the laser guided smart bomb, I think it's called the GBU-12? and Blow it up.

Also, if we can, go through each weapons systems and show me how to change weapons systems profile while flying...

Knowing how to do that makes sense to me....

So I can download Teamspeak right now....Do I need to just download the TeamSpeak "Client"?

Edited by sethshark

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Great. Tomorrow will probably be best then as we'd only get an hour tonight (I play Arma 3 Monday nights from 2000 EST (1900 your time) But I could stick around later tomorrow night.

LGB's aren't too hard to learn. A few more things to configure than dumb bombs but I'm sure you could pick it up.

476th vFG Alumni

Great. Tomorrow will probably be best then as we'd only get an hour tonight (I play Arma 3 Monday nights from 2000 EST (1900 your time) But I could stick around later tomorrow night.

LGB's aren't too hard to learn. A few more things to configure than dumb bombs but I'm sure you could pick it up.

Fantastic! Thanks, I will have the Teamspeak client installed and I do have headphones and a mic...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If you don't have a HOTAS, then definitely. Knowing the HOTAS commands is vital to flying the Hog. Getting controls configured well before flying is of paramount importance.

To reiterate, the HOTAS commands are the most important, because they virtually run the whole aircraft. Everything else is mouse clickable, and therefore, of less importance.

OK, I need clarification on the term "HOTAS".

I was assuming that the term HOTAS they are talking about this Joystick/Throttle Combo that I went out and bought instead of a couch....

What does the word HOTAS mean? Is it talking about the Joystick/Throttle Combo?

Yes, I went out and got that...and Yes, I found it has a button for slew which to me makes up up for the impossible task of slewing using the keyboard....

I freaking Love my "HOTAS"...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]