opentrack with delanclip/ps3eye vs. trackir with delanclip?

Guest deeplodokus

Guest deeplodokus

Hi All,

I have a Delanclip/ps3eye kit that I use with opentrack. It works fine, but I have 2 problems with this setup:

1. I find that it's very difficult to stay still and it makes clicking in mig21's cockpit quite difficult.

2. It works fine when it's relatively dark or night. When it's too bright there is way too much disturbances and I can't adjust the ps3eye correctly to only catch the 3 IR LEDs and not some random noise from the sun's reflections.

I'm considering to get a trackIR5 and use it with the Delanclip. I'm finding very little info online (understand, none, actually) about the comparison between the 2 setups.

Has anyone used the 2? Is trackIR5 definitely superior to using opentrack with a ps3eye?

Thank you.

Guest deeplodokus

come on, no one to give any input here? :hmm:

people with delanclip/ps3eye, do you have issues like me being 'stable' and making the setup work in broad daylight?

people with trackir5, do you manage to get very still views, and does your setup work in broad daylight?

I also use a delanclip in Connection with a PS3 Cam. The Cam runs with the CL Driver and I removed thr IR filter as described here:

Then I put the filter provided from DelanEngineering between lens and sensor (double layered). At last I tweaked the Gain Setting in the driver Settings to get 3 clear dots for the LEDs. Brightness alone is no problem with the tweakings mentioned above. But I think it is difficult for system to identify 3 clear spots (maybe impossible) if you have direct sunlight in the background. Sunlight contains a lot of IR Radiation.

For the first problem.... I also fly the MiG21 but I use FaceTrackNoIR with the PointTracker 1.1. I would say its all about the curves settings for the axis in DCS. If I recall right (must check this if needed) I use a curvature of about 30-40 for pitch and yaw.

I7-9700K -- 32GB RAM -- RTX 4070 -- Virpil T-50CM3 Throttle + WarBRD Base -- Thrustmaster TPR -- Quest 3 

Guest deeplodokus
I also use a delanclip in Connection with a PS3 Cam. The Cam runs with the CL Driver and I removed thr IR filter as described here:

Then I put the filter provided from DelanEngineering between lens and sensor (double layered). At last I tweaked the Gain Setting in the driver Settings to get 3 clear dots for the LEDs. Brightness alone is no problem with the tweakings mentioned above. But I think it is difficult for system to identify 3 clear spots (maybe impossible) if you have direct sunlight in the background. Sunlight contains a lot of IR Radiation.

For the first problem.... I also fly the MiG21 but I use FaceTrackNoIR with the PointTracker 1.1. I would say its all about the curves settings for the axis in DCS. If I recall right (must check this if needed) I use a curvature of about 30-40 for pitch and yaw.

Thanks for the answer. Any possibility for you to make screenshots of your curves or send your config file?

For the ps3eye, I understand you got the kit from Delan Engineering? I thought they already removed the IR filter? I got the ps3eye and a bit of filter from them. I haven't re-tweaked further because I thought it was already tweaked?

Guest deeplodokus

thanks!

edit: can you also let me know if you're using the ps3eye in the blue or red dot position? how far is your head from the ps3eye when you play? thanks!

Edited by deeplodokus

Guest deeplodokus

george, is your view stable enough to be able to click in clickable cockpits?

edit: mh i'm confused by your "I'm using neither", what do you mean? you're using neither trackir or delanclip/ps3eye? what do you use then? :)

Edited by deeplodokus

I meant that my ps eye lens is not locked in blue or red dot position like you've asked, but I managed to lock it somewhere in between to get my lost focus back. ;)

I can't compare with TIR, but I had no problems so far clicking anything, even CDU in A-10. I'm using facetracknoir as I had some problems in opentrack with translation jittering and couldn't manage to get rid of it.

I'm a bit in the same situation. I made a 3D IR pointmodel myself, and own a (still) unmodified PS3Eye. With Opentrack it tracks rather ok, but still not with a very stable view. I use exposed film in front of the cam to block visible daylight. Sometimes it works ok, other flights its rather unusable.

I'm thinking of removing the IR filter in the cam, but will it still be usable as cam? Or only as IR device? In that case I'm thinking about using a Wiimote, that should be rather easy if I understand it correctly..

Guest deeplodokus
I'm a bit in the same situation. I made a 3D IR pointmodel myself, and own a (still) unmodified PS3Eye. With Opentrack it tracks rather ok, but still not with a very stable view. I use exposed film in front of the cam to block visible daylight. Sometimes it works ok, other flights its rather unusable.

I'm thinking of removing the IR filter in the cam, but will it still be usable as cam? Or only as IR device? In that case I'm thinking about using a Wiimote, that should be rather easy if I understand it correctly..

so it SEEMS like the ps3eye i got from delan engineering has had its IR filter removed, but they didn't embed the floppy disk filter. it makes a colour image that has a lot of 'fuzz', not really usable as a webcam

the floppy filter seems kinda useless: by adjusting the webcam's colours/brightness/contrast i can get to just the 3 LEDs during daytime. adding the filter in front of the webcam changes nothing, it won't remove any of the extra interferences when it's really sunny

i'm eager to see the curves or setup screenshots of people who use the delanclip w/ opentrack and have a stable view. it's pretty much impossible for me in mig21 to click anywhere in the cockpit :/

I'm thinking of removing the IR filter in the cam, but will it still be usable as cam? .

The image will get blurry although you can probably fix this by doing what I wrote above to some extend.

You'll also get all the IR through making the image look funky. And point of removing IR filter is to replace it with visible light blocking one, so no, cam won't be usable then.

Also, check if your ps eye is actually the modifiable one.

the floppy filter seems kinda useless: by adjusting the webcam's colours/brightness/contrast i can get to just the 3 LEDs during daytime. adding the filter in front of the webcam changes nothing, it won't remove any of the extra interferences when it's really sunny

Floppy disc material is pretty poor for this purpose. There's a table on the Free track forum somewhere that shows it blocks a lot of the IR as well as visible light. Developed film (exposed I think) was shown to be much better.

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

Here are the curve settings within FTNoIR and a screenshot of the visibility of the LEDS with the Cam Mod explained earlier.

Additional to that, I set the curves für YAW and PITH within DCS to 25

dots.png.56869b6b7f8cd4fc421b6fe4ee20cbf8.png

Curves_dcs.png.ee3afd43800181d728a05732949e9d8b.png

I7-9700K -- 32GB RAM -- RTX 4070 -- Virpil T-50CM3 Throttle + WarBRD Base -- Thrustmaster TPR -- Quest 3 

Well I would suggest use facetracknoir with point tracker 1.1. Facetracknoir is very stable than opentrack. With open track u can't click while facetrack is rock solid. It gives u close results to trackir

Win10, Intel 3rd Gen. Core i7 3.8Ghz, 20GB ram, Nvidia Geforce 1060 6GB Opentrack (Download it from HERE), PS3 Eye, Saitek x52-pro Joystick,

DIY Rudder Pedals,

Google Cardboard with DCS World

English is not my native language

Guest deeplodokus
Well I would suggest use facetracknoir with point tracker 1.1. Facetracknoir is very stable than opentrack. With open track u can't click while facetrack is rock solid. It gives u close results to trackir

when i used facetracknoir with pointtracker, 50% of the time when i started a game in DCS the headtracking was just gone and i had to restart both DCS and facetracknoir. i don't have that problem with opentrack

i'll have a look at the curves and see if i have something similar. how far is your head from the ps3eye?

I broke my ps3 eye while removing ir filter. It now only show round halo. It can't see any thing. Now I m using my laptop built-in cam. I put one of the glass of kid's sunglasses with that I don't care of sun light. I will send u some pics of my setup as I get some time tomorrow

Win10, Intel 3rd Gen. Core i7 3.8Ghz, 20GB ram, Nvidia Geforce 1060 6GB Opentrack (Download it from HERE), PS3 Eye, Saitek x52-pro Joystick,

DIY Rudder Pedals,

when i used facetracknoir with pointtracker, 50% of the time when i started a game in DCS the headtracking was just gone and i had to restart both DCS and facetracknoir. i don't have that problem with opentrack

i'll have a look at the curves and see if i have something similar. how far is your head from the ps3eye?

Well this is one of the issue with ft noir. U must must start ft noir first then dcs world

DIY Rudder Pedals,

....Also, check if your ps eye is actually the modifiable one.

I do know that there are two different models and I found something on the internet. You have to compare the lenses. However, I cannot figure out if I do have the correct one. Or not. Just don't know how to see the diff in the lenses..

Another question, GeorgeLKMT, you say you use FacetrackNoIR. But... the whole purpose of FTNoIR was the NoIR matter..?? It was meant to use it as a facetracker, not an IR tracker?

Edited by GurbY

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Has anyone compared these alternatives to TrackIR?

TrackIR would have been first prize but it is not currently available locally. I could try import it but it is a bit of a hassle so I am trying to figure out if it is worth it to try import it or whether something like FreetrackNoIR with PS3 and possibly homemade IR lights (like delanclip) is just as good?