F-14A/B DEVELOPMENT UPDATE #2

Cobra847

Prediction: this is going to be amazing!

As for the campaign location, sounds like north Atlantic. GIUK-gap possibly?

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"it must be noted that several technologies developed for one of our other aircraft can directly be drawn upon to shorten the development time of the F-14.

Elements include e.g. HUD elements or Navigational implementations."

The F-14 INS shares commonality with three other aircraft:

The F/A-18, which is already being done by ED, The EA-6B which is electronic warfare which is probably hard to get info on and the Marine Harrier AV-8B.

It's a harrier isn't it?

Source: http://www.designation-systems.net/usmilav/jetds/an-asn.html

EDIT: D'oh, that's the INS for the F-14D

AN/ASN-92 is shared by an A-6 Intruder.

Edited by ChoSeungWan

We won't be limiting ourselves in terms of liveries based on the released block era, even if that particular livery would not have been used on a later -A.

That sounds great, the Tomcat wore a lot of interesting schemes.

That said, I hope that you include one or two "regular" TPS schemes from the mid-late 1980s (no shark mouths or sashes) - the kind of grey Tomcat that we probably would have found ourselves flying if given the opportunity back then.

f-14_profile02.png

From_Gull_Grey_to_TPS_by_F16CrewChief.jpg

Maybe one of the squadrons that directly assisted with the filming of Top Gun (for the anniversary :)) - VF-114, VF-213, VF-51, and VF-111 (no shark mouths at the time).

All part of the suspension of disbelief...:D

-Nick

Edited by BlackLion213

This is Great Stuff!!Cant want to See whats Next:thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] SMOKE'M:smoke: IF YA GOT'M!:gun_rifle:

H2o Cooler I7 9700k GA 390x MB Win 10 pro

Evga RTX 2070 8Gig DD5

32 Gig Corsair Vengence, 2T SSD.

TM.Warthog:joystick: :punk:, CV-1:matrix:,3x23" monitors, Tm MFD's, Saitek pro rudders wrapped up in 2 sheets of plywood:megalol:

Nice update Cobra, really looking forward to this bird. And I second the idea of 3D printing that pilot figure to sell.

They've been annoyingly coy about that actually, though at least we now know it's less that they're just trolling us and more because they haven't finished deciding.

I don't think they are trying to be coy about it or troll us (well okay it is Cobra, maybe a little trolling us). If Cobra says a certain system will be on the F-14 too early and that ends up changing later on due to a lack of data, there are people here who are going to bash Cobra and LN non-stop for it. I'm sure LN wants to be absolutely sure what they will be modeling before they confirm anything on the forum, you only have to see how some people react to a late update to understand why:

2nav2ic.gif

"Hurled headlong flaming from the ethereal sky; With hideous ruin and combustion down;
To bottomless perdition, there to dwell; In adamantine chains and penal fire"

(RIG info is outdated, will update at some point) i5 @3.7GHz (OC to 4.1), 16GB DDR3, Nvidia GTX 970 4GB, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro, TM Warthog HOTAS, VKB T-Rudder Mk.IV, Razer Blackshark Headset, Obutto Ozone

Prediction: this is going to be amazing!

As for the campaign location, sounds like north Atlantic. GIUK-gap possibly?

Maybe North Pacific?

Lots of islands not much cities to model, Russia on one side US Alaska on the other...

We have plans for these models beyond the standard in-cockpit / external pilots you are currently used to; features that will hopefully significantly improve immersion.

You should expect this particular model to look practically identical in-game, as most of the detail will be baked down into normal and diffuse maps.

We might walk to a bar with those models?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

Nice update Cobra, really looking forward to this bird. And I second the idea of 3D printing that pilot figure to sell.

I don't think they are trying to be coy about it or troll us (well okay it is Cobra, maybe a little trolling us). If Cobra says a certain system will be on the F-14 too early and that ends up changing later on due to a lack of data, there are people here who are going to bash Cobra and LN non-stop for it. I'm sure LN wants to be absolutely sure what they will be modeling before they confirm anything on the forum, you only have to see how some people react to a late update to understand why:

Oh LN loves to troll and be coy, just look at the months long buildup to the F-14 announcement, it was like a bloody scavenger hunt :lol:. Fun for a while, but then it starts getting teeth grindingly annoying when it's a month and a half after the expected announcement of what all the cryptic responses were for and you still don't get any information. I'll cut slack on the timing because of all the stuff that's come LNs way this past few weeks, but if there hadn't been detailed information and no post saying they hadn't decided specifically what would have been modeled, then you wouldn't be able to tell people not to be miffed about it.

We won't be limiting ourselves in terms of liveries based on the released block era, even if that particular livery would not have been used on a later -A.

Now that's an even better news! :thumbup: :pilotfly:

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

"it must be noted that several technologies developed for one of our other aircraft can directly be drawn upon to shorten the development time of the F-14.

Elements include e.g. HUD elements or Navigational implementations."

The F-14 INS shares commonality with three other aircraft:

The F/A-18, which is already being done by ED, The EA-6B which is electronic warfare which is probably hard to get info on and the Marine Harrier AV-8B.

It's a harrier isn't it?

Source: http://www.designation-systems.net/usmilav/jetds/an-asn.html

EDIT: D'oh, that's the INS for the F-14D

AN/ASN-92 is shared by an A-6 Intruder.

I doubt that the statement meant the system is shared with both aircraft. My understanding is that, having already worked on a similar system for annother aircraft will allow them to use the experience and possibly bits of code for the F-14 INS (because, an INS is still an INS, even though there are différences between models). You must note that the MiG-21bis does not have any system like that, so it's new for them.

Same goes for the HUD.

We have plans for these models beyond the standard in-cockpit / external pilots you are currently used to; features that will hopefully significantly improve immersion.

Oh, I know, there will have a mini-game in there:

:D

I am so looking forward to this.

signed: satisfied DCS: Mig21bis customer.

P.S. (Please fix the comm issues that still plague this otherwise wonderful module, my OCD can't get past the fact that I can't talk to ATC...:( )

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Did mid 90's B have LGB's?

Depends on the year. LANTIRN was first integrated (in testing) in 1995. The fleet got the pods in 1996. Of course the fleet Tomcats could carry LGB's but could not self designate them before 1996 due to not having LANTIRN. They used buddy lasing from other platforms before LANTIRN integration.

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

yeah, glove vanes needed, a must have ! ! ! at least as a visual option

2600398.jpg

http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA---Navy/Grumman-F-14A-Tomcat/2600398/L/&sid=e5c67b2e4f277f8d834399be3680d13c

I love this scheme! It is one of the harder schemes for me to find. I have all four views of this bird thanks to Frank Mirande . This is one of a few schemes made by C. J. Heatly. The bottom and top paint job is a mirror of each other. I have all the details of this one and one of his other schemes too. Hopefully, we can get them both made b4 release. Some of the cooler Tomcat schemes out there.

When damaged is there a possibility that, due to a hydraulic failure for example, the wings could become fixed mid flight or end up being asymmetrical? This would be a cool feature to have to deal with in-game.

f14-detail-wsm-04l.jpg

"The F-14 has flown and landed safely with an asymmetrical wing-sweep on an aircraft carrier during testing; this capability could be used in emergencies" -Wikipedia

Keep it up!

Frisco1522

(If question already asked, let me know)

When damaged is there a possibility that, due to a hydraulic failure for example, the wings could become fixed mid flight or end up being asymmetrical? This would be a cool feature to have to deal with in-game.

f14-detail-wsm-04l.jpg

"The F-14 has flown and landed safely with an asymmetrical wing-sweep on an aircraft carrier during testing; this capability could be used in emergencies" -Wikipedia

Keep it up!

Frisco1522

We don't even have it yet and you already want to break it? ;)

f14-detail-wsm-04l.jpg

Keep it up!

Frisco1522

That setup was specifically made for the test, there is practically no way to get there through regular operations. It would nice if the setup could be made preflight though :P

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

Q: Will Iranian Tomcats be included?

A: Yes! We have several Iranian liveries planned. We also plan to model the older MBU-5/P mask in use by the Iranian Air Force.
YES YES :gun_smilie:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks!

Thanks for the great update, can`t wait!

PilotThumb.png

Leatherneck Simulations

Oh,one more thing...

My girlfriend claims the pilot`s bottom is too flat and not sexy. LN please fix that! ;)

Edited by Roger Ramjet
just typos

Excuse my English, please.